Are you happy in Nepal?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in Nepal? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in Nepal happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

Hi i think most nepalese are happy in nepal.

According to that same survey you quote, Nepal is ahead of India
But in world ranking, I read that Nepal is number 107 out of 156

As for the nepalese people in general, I think their degree of happiness or unhappiness is largely dependent on whether they live in the city or in the outlying regions, the mountains, or the remote areas.  I think you will find THEIR ANSWERS are bound to vary widely, and many other factors too numerous to cite here (whether they lost their house in the major earthquakes or the following 600 seismic tremors that followed, their quality of life, living conditions, size of family/mouths to feed, etc.)

As for me, personally, regrettably, I would have to answer "NO" for a variety of reasons.

We can only hope that things will get better in the future, which is what most nepalis will also tell you, if they are honest.

This having said, Nepal will continue, I think, to be a wonderful country to visit.
As a country to live in, on  permanent or regular day in, day out basis, that is a totally different kettle of fish.

Yes im happy

As anyone knows who's been on this forum for any length of time, I am incredibly happy. I'm so happy I'll do whatever I can to help others, especially seniors who don't have a lot of money, to come here to Nepal. I know there is quite a learning curve. Once you get into the swing of things here it's wonderful.

It is very nice and most comforting for older people, notably seniors, to feel they can go to a country like Nepal, in the knowledge that they will feel welcomed there, helped and abetted and as it has been so well said, get in the swing of things. Being a senior myself, I can fully appreciate the good intentions of the offer that has been made and which is on the table so to speak.
At the same time, it must be pointed out notably to seniors and people of a certain age - to avoid any possible misunderstanding - that under current laws and regulations, the great majority of retired people, seniors included obviously, are granted very limited time to stay in Nepal usually not exceeding five (5) months to be happy in this country, beyond which time they will have no alternative but to find their happiness elsewhere, in neighboring countries: 
Why only 5 months of heaven in Nepal?
Because that happens to be the maximum number of months that under current regulations Nepal Immigration will offer foreigner visas IN ANY ONE YEAR.
To be clear, one cannot legally hope to go out of the country after 5 months and expect to come back for another 5; for a total of 10 months:  That won't work and it would be illegal to even try it
And if the applicant or applicant couple is retired and besides have little money, there is no question or possibility of applying for some other kind of visa - Business visa would obviously be out of the question; residential visas exist but last time I talked to my embassy, they told me there were only about 17 in the whole country; and besides, to get a residential visa in Nepal, there are many requirements to meet not least of which one must provide solid evidence that you have yearly earnings of at minimum US$20000.00 per year: In addition, the Home Office has to give its own and final approval to Nepal Immigration. One of my european friends tried to get one, and after waiting for one year, finally gave up! Much red tape and not easy
That being the case; it raises the question:  what CATEGORY of visa does that leave for older people/retired/seniors - which  they can apply _ with a view and hope to stay in Nepal, for longer periods of say for 1 to 3 years?
And final question:  how to plan under those conditions for long term housing and accomodation with all those visa limitations?  How to rent a place in Nepal if one is not allowed to occupy it, say for one full year, under current immigration laws and regulations?

Does anyone know if it's any easier and more hospitable in Thailand or Laos or Cambodia or other?

Tell me: are you an Expat?