GPO Box

Do not think Nepal has home delivery of regular mail. Is it possible for non Nepali people to get a GPO box before re-locating permanently in Nepal?

Well, actually Nepal does have a home delivery of regular mail, but for foreigners it's not really functioning.
Due to the lack of real street names and house numbers, the postmen have to know you so that they can actually drop your mail off at the correct address. I have tried it several times, both with regular mail and with registered mail, and never received any letter.

So, yes, a PO box at the General Post Office probably a better option. One that actually works fine for me.

You can get a PO box at the GPO located in Sundara, Kathmandu as a foreigner. Bring your passport, photocopies of it (the ID page and the current visa page) and a couple of passport size photo's. They should be able to help you out then. You will have to deposit some money and you have the option of being able to check deliveries to your PO box online for an extra charge.

http://www.gpo.gov.np/PostBox_New.aspx

Is it possible to share a GPO box with a local Nepali citizen? My friend (and primary contact in Nepal) does not yet have a GPO box, so sharing a GPO box would be more ideal for me during transition stage.

You are welcome to share mine, but I'm in Bhaktapur. Mail delivery is very poor here. Every time it's time to get a new debit card it gets lost and costs me so much money.

I just learned a new trick from another US expat. He says that if you need to send anything here fedex just have it go to the Fedex office in Kantipath. Be sure to put your own phone number in Nepal at the end of the address. I thought it was book-worthy and will be adding this tip to my eBook, Nepal: A Tourist's Manual.

Glad you made it to Nepal. How are you liking it so far?

The very same thing in St. Lucia (small Eastern Caribbean island).

With the exception of the few streets in Castries (the capital city), there is no home mail delivery island-wide.

Businessmen have PO Box addresses.
Forummers have no idea how much trouble I had to go through when ordering from USA and elsewhere with salesmen on the phone who did not accept PO Box addresses.  All bank statements, credit card statements, etc. come to a PO Box address.
We are allowed to have 2 (two) mail boxes: one for business and one for personal use.
Most people have one GPO mail address.

Non-business people get their mail at the local post office at POSTE RESTANTE where they must go in person during office hours to pick yup whatever mail they have.  Even utility bills go to POSTE RESTANTE.

I have my PO Box address for 22 years now ...  :D

I understand that it should be no problem to informally share a GPO box (just have mail sent to friend's GPO box).  I am wondering if there will be a problem by "officially" listing both names on the initial form that you fill out to obtain a GPO box. 

Assume that if this is allowed that both will need to submit photo copies of papers and passport photos.

moviegeekjn wrote:

I understand that it should be no problem to informally share a GPO box (just have mail sent to friend's GPO box).  I am wondering if there will be a problem by "officially" listing both names on the initial form that you fill out to obtain a GPO box. 

Assume that if this is allowed that both will need to submit photo copies of papers and passport photos.

Hi Moviegeek, :)

It's better to put your mail box in your name.
Your friend might be a nice person now but then forget or become unable to pay the annual rental fee and then a little thing like this could turn into a nightmare when you want to get your mails.

(Consider yourself lucky to actually get a mailbox.  Do not think that mail boxes are available anytime you need one! ...  )

If a friend of yours wants to get letters, he can advise his contacts to send mail to

His ......  name ....
c/o Your ..... name .....
PO Box ???? (or GPO ???? if it's the General Post Office)
Town
Country

If your friend gets important letters sent by Registered Air Mail, it could happen for the Post Office teller to ask for the two of you to come to the Post Office together, or for your friend to bring a signed document from you authorizing him to pick up mail for him or for you.

In St. Lucia they ask you to present 2 (two) ID documents to pick up any Registered Letter or Express mail.

The sad thing is that here everybody knows me, yet they still want to see two IDs ...  :(