Dubai Tour via Road in Mid October 2016

Hi Respected Members,

I am a new member here, planning to visit Dubai via road with my wife for the first time. I have a couple of questions and would like senior members to answer.

How to apply for the Dubai visa?
What will be the fee?
What is visa requirements? ( I am an Expat working in Saudi Arabia on Electrical Engineer visa, Iqama is valid until Hijri year 1442 for both of us)
What route is best to go to Dubai from Mecca? What are the things to keep in mind before heading off to Dubai via their Al Gouifat entry point into Abu Dhabi?
Do I apply visa for Abu Dhabi and from there, can I enter into Dubai? Or is there going to be another permit to enter Dubai?

Thanks, I will update the thread if I have more questions.

Best,
LRMJ

Any support will be highly appreciated :)

It is possible to reach Dubai by car from neighboring countries: Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and. Necessary to have with visitors to Dubai International driving license drivers, then exit right from home, access to Dubai (available at the borders of Dubai), and visa and a valid insurance on the vehicle you should contact the Emirates Embassy in your country to learn to leave off when you leave the country you leave him. As well as how to apply for a visa to Dubai there are traffic portals impose plotted ways certain boss in Dubai, so it is important to ensure the card installed "passable" electronic drive. This card is available at most gas stations and be installed on the windscreen. Once shipped score (this can be done online or at gas stations), there will be a fee of AED 4 every time you pass through the gate fees.

Best you contact the Embassy to check, because the inning changed between now and then

LRMJ wrote:

From here: http://gdrfa.ae/GCCIND

LRMJ wrote:

What will be the fee?

Around 258 AED per head.

LRMJ wrote:

What is visa requirements? ( I am an Expat working in Saudi Arabia on Electrical Engineer visa, Iqama is valid until Hijri year 1442 for both of us)

Passport valid for 6 months at least and Iqama, 3 months.

LRMJ wrote:

What route is best to go to Dubai from Mecca?

There are 2 roads to Ghofiat.
1- Kharj Road
2- Via Hofuf (this one is safer but takes 1-2 more hours.

LRMJ wrote:

Do I apply visa for Abu Dhabi and from there, can I enter into Dubai? Or is there going to be another permit to enter Dubai?

Abu Dhabi and Dubai obviously are in the same country. No permits needed.

TLL has summarized most of the information.

From Mecca, you would need to take the Taif - Riyadh road and then before you enter Riyadh City you will need to move to Dammam road , if you are planning to go via Hofuf. This is the safest route (two lane) while the Kharj road is dangerous with mostly long trucks and single lane at times.  Note that driving from Mecca to Dubai (1900 + kms) will take a min of 24 hrs including the delays at the border. Fill up the gas at Batha border since gas is costly there and there is drive of around 500 kms + from the border to Dubai.

You will pay additional fees for insurance (150 SAR for a week I think) and no need for Salik in Dubai with KSA registration.

Thank you very much. I have a residency permit "Muqeem Card" which is valid until 1442, as written on the card. However, my Iqama, before this card was issued, used to expire every November. Do I still need to ask the HR to renew my Iqama from the Jawazat or MOI system (not sure), or, the Dubai border control does not care about it, the online system validity?

Great in detail, specific answers, I was looking for such a response. Thank you once more!

TheLegendLeads wrote:
LRMJ wrote:

From here: http://gdrfa.ae/GCCIND

LRMJ wrote:

What will be the fee?

Around 258 AED per head.

LRMJ wrote:

Passport valid for 6 months at least and Iqama, 3 months.

LRMJ wrote:

What route is best to go to Dubai from Mecca?

There are 2 roads to Ghofiat.
1- Kharj Road
2- Via Hofuf (this one is safer but takes 1-2 more hours.

LRMJ wrote:

Abu Dhabi and Dubai obviously are in the same country. No permits needed.

See, there are two things:

1- Muqeem Card expiry (1442 in your case)
2- Iqama expiry (this is what is renewed every year and will be so in future).

While filling the application, put in the Muqeem card expiry date and you'll be good to go; because Muqeem card is what they'll like to see on the border.

For peace of mind, you may ask your HR to renew your iqama. It just takes a few clicks in the online (MOI) system.

This is such great support, thank you. I am new to the forum and already liking it :)

I have been to Riyadh twice via road (about 8 hours), it is tiring indeed, I have planned to stay the night in Riyadh during both ways. However, the next leg is a long haul, about 9 hours 33 minutes drive into Emirate and straight to Dubai. So I was thinking, is there a motel or a good hotel after exiting Riyad? Any recommendation on this matter?

I have just looked up Hofuf on GPS, it is an entirely different city that you head towards and then from there you drive to Salwa and ultimately reach Al Batha close to the border of Ghuwaifat. Am I correct? I would definitely take the safer route, consider I will be accompanied by my wife. Are there gas stations and car workshops on this road from Riyadh-Hofuf-Batha?

Thanks for reminding about refilling gas, I will refill it at Hofuf, then Batha and land in Dubai with the same tank.

If you have, by any chance, visited Dubai via road, how long does it take to go through the border of Ghuwaifat on other than the weekend.

HRGuru wrote:

TLL has summarized most of the information.

From Mecca, you would need to take the Taif - Riyadh road and then before you enter Riyadh City you will need to move to Dammam road , if you are planning to go via Hofuf. This is the safest route (two lane) while the Kharj road is dangerous with mostly long trucks and single lane at times.  Note that driving from Mecca to Dubai (1900 + kms) will take a min of 24 hrs including the delays at the border. Fill up the gas at Batha border since gas is costly there and there is drive of around 500 kms + from the border to Dubai.

You will pay additional fees for insurance (150 SAR for a week I think) and no need for Salik in Dubai with KSA registration.

You're a legend, brother  :cool:

I have just written to HR, believe me, the HR department makes you cry in these matters of few clicks.

Is there anything else I should be worried about?

I have valid car insurance til February 2017, I have medical insurance but my wife doesn't. Does she need any medical insurance to enter the Emirates?

Lastly, how long does the visa application take before grant? I haven't yet applied, I will apply once the vacation are approved and I am asked for ERE visa processing.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

See, there are two things:

1- Muqeem Card expiry (1442 in your case)
2- Iqama expiry (this is what is renewed every year and will be so in future).

While filling the application, put in the Muqeem card expiry date and you'll be good to go; because Muqeem card is what they'll like to see on the border.

For peace of mind, you may ask your HR to renew your iqama. It just takes a few clicks in the online (MOI) system.

Sure enough the journey will be a long one from Mecca - Dubai.

There are no places to stay after exiting Riyadh,best is if you can look for suitable apartments in Al Ahsa, its relatively cheaper and on the way. But then again you will rech Al Ahsa in 3.5 - 4 hrs time from Riyadh. The number of gas stations on both routes are limited and dont expect them to be very clean.

From Al Ahsa you drive towards salwa / uae border, going to salwa takes you to Qatar while the other to Batha border.

At the border it takes 2 hrs min even if you have the visa (and if there is no rush) since you need to get down, go in and do eye scanning as well.

No need for medical insurance, your current car insurance will not be valid there. Visa process might take a week max.

Thank you once again.

Looked up Al Ahsa, is it in the Hofuf city? Still not sure if I should stay at Hofuf cause I have to see some of my friends in Riyadh. If I skip seeing them, go to Hofuf and rest in Al Ahsa, it will give me some energy to drive to Dubai and go through the 2 hours of border checks.

I am sure about the route now, very much appreciated, otherwise I would've totally gone astray.

I heard somewhere that only visa cards are accepted for payments at the border for car insurance and stuff like Salik (which I don't need with Saudi car registration plate), is it true?

And 2 hours at the border is a lot of time, Bahrain was even worse but then again, I hit it on a weekend.

HRGuru wrote:

Sure enough the journey will be a long one from Mecca - Dubai.

There are no places to stay after exiting Riyadh,best is if you can look for suitable apartments in Al Ahsa, its relatively cheaper and on the way. But then again you will rech Al Ahsa in 3.5 - 4 hrs time from Riyadh. The number of gas stations on both routes are limited and dont expect them to be very clean.

From Al Ahsa you drive towards salwa / uae border, going to salwa takes you to Qatar while the other to Batha border.

At the border it takes 2 hrs min even if you have the visa (and if there is no rush) since you need to get down, go in and do eye scanning as well.

No need for medical insurance, your current car insurance will not be valid there. Visa process might take a week max.

LRMJ wrote:

I heard somewhere that only visa cards are accepted for payments at the border for car insurance and stuff like Salik (which I don't need with Saudi car registration plate), is it true?

People used to pay visa fees with credit cards. Now it's over and everyone travels with pre-paid e-Visas. So that's history now.

Insurance guys (the last stop point cabin) will accept Saudi currency. Don't worry. You don't need any medical insurance for travelling to UAE.

SALIK (road tax) is not for Saudi registration number plates. Don't get it unless you want to pay unnecessarily.

Why road trip ?

Just book a flight and save yourself from all the hassle. shouldn't be more than 1200-1500/pax

hamudi wrote:

Why road trip ?

Just book a flight and save yourself from all the hassle. shouldn't be more than 1200-1500/pax

True. If I were in Mekkah, I'd do that.

Thanks guys for your feedback. I need to visit friends in Riyadh on my way, and booking to Riyadh and then to Dubai might be costly.

I am applying for visa and on the last page where you have to upload the documents in scanned form there are following requirements.

Person Photo
Residence Copy
ID Card

Passport Page 1

What is Residence Copy? and the ID Card? In Saudi Arabia you have your Iqama only as your ID Card, but what exactly is Residence Copy?

Thanks!

All same - iqama copy

Yes, you have to upload it twice in two places.

HRGuru wrote:

All same - iqama copy

Thanks :) Still cannot believe there are redundant fields on the application.

Also found,

Sponsor Address  1
Sponsor Address 2

I have put same address here.

And what should I put in, relationship to the sponsor? What's my relationship with my company, I am an employee and the options there are only Father, Mother, Son etc lol

For my wife's application, what sponsor's address will I put? My own home address, right?

This is my first time and my brain totally freezes while filling applications.

Thanks again!

1- Having Sponsor Address 2  same as Sponsor Address 1 isn't a problem.

2- Put "Sponsor Type in GCC Country " as Establishment and it won't ask your relation with your sponsor. :)

3- For your wife, you have the use the other link on the left "GCC Citizens - Accompanies". Don't use the one you fill for yourself.

I advise, you apply your visa first - you'll get it in 24 hours - then apply for your wife's visa.

One weird question popped up in my mind, if you put the point of entry as Abu Dhabi and select Ghuwaifat, can you enter through Dubai, DXB airport? Or the visa provided reflects this information.

Thank you :) It finally worked. Great advice, I couldn;t have done this without this forum and the respected members.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

2- Put "Sponsor Type in GCC Country " as Establishment and it won't ask your relation with your sponsor. :)

3- For your wife, you have the use the other link on the left "GCC Citizens - Accompanies". Don't use the one you fill for yourself.

I advise, you apply your visa first - you'll get it in 24 hours - then apply for your wife's visa.

Hey Legend,

I have applied for my visa successfully. For wife's visa, if I select this option "GCC Citizens - Accompanies" then the Sponsor Nationality is only restricted to GCC countries, like KSA and stuff. I think I should apply the same way as I did for myself, and in place of Establishment, I should put GCC Resident, this will give rise to options like Wife etc in Relationship to Sponsor. Am I correct? I cannot wait to apply for my wife's visa. Please help!

Also, I have given up the idea of driving, since my HR did not approve 8 days, only 5 days were approved, so now I will fly. InshaAllah!

TheLegendLeads wrote:

LRMJ wrote:

so now I will fly. InshaAllah!

Hallelujah

Hallo
Let me try to help by asking you a few important questions first. What is your Country of Origin? did you apply for multiple entry or single entry visas through the company you are employed with? (In other words, do you have their permission to go by implication) Do you have your passport with you or is it with the company? You will need it, with visa attached, as well as your iqama of which both should still have at least 3 months validity. If you are driving and the car is not 100% owned by you, you will need an official document from the dealership or rental company or your own company or the legal owner, which states that you are allowed to take the vehicle out of the Country. In effect, Abu and Dubai are 2 'provinces' or 'states' belonging to one body (similar to USA), therefore you will require different permits/visas...depending on which Country you originate from (which might not have ANY visa requirement anyway for the UAE). Your iqama allows you to visit GCC countries without having to apply for entry permits to those countries in advance, you can pay at the border, but you need an exit and re-entry visa for SAUDI before you can go outside the borders of KSA. I hope that makes sense. If not, feel free to ask any time. Also keep in mind that you will spend some time in traffic and at inspection points when you plan your journey - it can take as much as 4-6 hours out of your trip one way and the same coming back.

@meganinafrica,
I suggest you spend some time going through this thread. There is much you are outdated on.

TLL  :heart:

Guys, visas are secured, hotels are booked, and waiting to book flights. ERE is not issued yet, lazy HR.

I have a question, there is 650+ balance showing in my government account, can I go for ERE without paying anymore extra and use the balance? And if not possible, how to get this amount reimbursed into my bank?