6 month visas

Heard that no more being issued as of today. Only monthly's available.

There have been also some problems lately with 3-months business for oil sector. Only monthly go through.

Stems from a French incident during the snow debacle. Plane diverted to a smaller French airport, everyone except Libyans were given a hotel, Libyans were forced to spend the night on the plane (even though they schengen's) and were are talking women and small children here. I don't blame them one bit.

Yes, me too. They did it cause I got robbed few months ago, I called my freinds at the embassy to do sth about it, so they called the goverment and on special meeting of foreign affairs  ministers of schengen area to take appriopriate measures. And finally!!! This is how things get done in adults' world.

And good that my photos did't leak to the press. Then one only can wonder what could have happened.

wysoki wrote:

Yes, me too. They did it cause I got robbed few months ago, I called my freinds at the embassy to do sth about it, so they called the goverment and on special meeting of foreign affairs  ministers of schengen area to take appriopriate measures. And finally!!! This is how things get done in adults' world.

And good that my photos did't leak to the press. Then one only can wonder what could have happened.

Huh

interesting - looks like my company's resolution is to instate all the foreigners as libyan residents. i hope there aren't any drawbacks to that...

Theiman wrote:

Stems from a French incident during the snow debacle. Plane diverted to a smaller French airport, everyone except Libyans were given a hotel, Libyans were forced to spend the night on the plane (even though they schengen's) and were are talking women and small children here. I don't blame them one bit.

That doesn't figure. They would hit the French visas, not stop 6 month business visas for everyone else.

More likely it's to try and stop people working on business visas ?

There's a saying in Libya, in english it goes like this 'you can't clap with one hand(4 fingers & thumb)'

I think it is a message (yet again) to all Schengen countries not just the French and will be over soon. The working on the 6 month visas - yes but this has been going on for sometime time now and its not as if the government is missing out on any taxes as they pick them up on audit on the re-charge.

How much is a fine that company has to pay if someone is working against visa regulations, eg. on family or tourist visa? Is it regulated only by immigration or new labour law as well?

If you stay over your 6 months, the company has to pay payroll tax + INAS on the amount your earned from Libya from day 1. They wouldnt let you out if you were working on an expired visa - would need a clearence to get out of the country + the labor board may pay a company visit.

or you can dash the immigration goon 200 and go and enjoy your flight back to freedom

The massage I've heard for today is NO BUSINESS VISAS till further notice. Only resident and tourist. It may apply only to oil and gas. Lately NOC announced that it reached 93% of Libyan staff in this sector so maybe someone pointed out that there's a lot people on business who do not inflate statistics.

Anyway, we requested another bunch of business visas so we'll see if it's true.

Sandman6 wrote:

or you can dash the immigration goon 200 and go and enjoy your flight back to freedom

Good advice.

Single entry visa's have been stopped as of yesterday. Tourist visas to follow.

Theiman wrote:

Single entry visa's have been stopped as of yesterday. Tourist visas to follow.

any idea - about the visas already requested - are they going to be cancelled !

Don't know, but would assume if they havent yet obtained the approval then I wouldnt get my hopes up.

Somebody told me today only British citizens only can get a 6 month ME visa...........don't know if its true - not one of my usual sources

How the rumour mill rumbles - lol

I've been told by normally reliable source that it's only Asian 6 month visas that have been stopped - they want to force them on to residency. UK 6 month visas supposedly still freely available. If anyone knows different - updates welcome!.

Hey all, would really appreciate some advice. I've been here for 1 year on 2 x 6 mos visas on a US passport, which is about to expire in 2 days.

I run a company here and my options seem to be leave indefinitely or stay indefinitely. But, does anyone know how long you can stay on an expired visa and still get permission to leave? I know you can do it for at least 7-10 days, but don't know beyond that.

Thanks for all the info everyone posted before. very helpful.

ciao,
mark

I've btw, heard from a visa expert that all busness visas are affected and the only exclusion I've heard of is the 6 mos Egyptian visa. But yes, they are definitely pushing people towards residence visas...

Went for my visa renewal last week and could only get a 3 month visa - UK Citizen

Hey Guy's, told yesterday that 1 month and Tourist visa's have been stopped now, agents only, Oil companies should be able to still get them, those that have been approved prior to stopping can still be collected from London, Malta etc, but no new ones are being signed off at the moment, my rumour mill told me it was because of the W!k!leaks.
You gotta love working here.
OB

officeboy wrote:

my rumour mill told me it was because of the W!k!leaks.OB

Let me add two rumours to the list:

1.) A new computer based system is being introduced (the type everywhere else has had for years that scans the passport at the airport) But typical bad planning means that it ain't working, so new visas are being put on hold.

2.) There's 'some political thing' on over the next few days (when isn't there?) that's stopped everything.

I hereby add my own rumour:

3.) The neighbour of the man who issues all visas has blocked off the street for his daughter's wedding and the visa man can't get his blue peugeot truck out of the drive. So he's taking the week off. He could walk around the tent, but there's a huge hole left from the roadworks last year. It was filled in with sand but last month's rain washed it all away and although it's filling up with garbage, there's still not enough to ensure a safe crossing.
I'm joking of course. There's no way he'd walk anywhere :)

Mudman wrote:

I hereby add my own rumour:

3.) The neighbour of the man who issues all visas has blocked off the street for his daughter's wedding and the visa man can't get his blue peugeot truck out of the drive. So he's taking the week off. He could walk around the tent, but there's a huge hole left from the roadworks last year. It was filled in with sand but last month's rain washed it all away and although it's filling up with garbage, there's still not enough to ensure a safe crossing.
I'm joking of course. There's no way he'd walk anywhere :)

Quoted for Awesome.

Isn't there such a thing as a residence permit for people who are working in Libya?

dinky wrote:

Isn't there such a thing as a residence permit for people who are working in Libya?

Yes.

As with pretty much every other country, it's illegal to "work" on a business visa.

So where does the 30-day visa come in?? 

I'm now assuming that if one is working for a large expat company, they will get one a residence permit (for a year or two??).  Then the husband sponsors the wife ... is this where the 30-day visa comes in?

Sorry if I'm making it all so confusing - I'm trying very hard to understand how it all works if there is such a thing :)

Here's how it works if everything goes swimmingly easy....

1. The principal (let's call him the husband) applies for a business visa at the Libyan embassy, normally in his country of residence. He then travels to Libya where, through his sponsor, he then goes through the process of applying for residency.

2. After he's been issued his residence visa (valid 12 months), the sponsor applies for visas for his dependents who want to join him.

3. The dependents then apply for their visas at the Libyan embassy in their country of residence.

4. The dependents then travel to Libya and go through the same residence application procedure.

In Libya, it's the employer of the principal who sponsors the application of the dependents and not the individual himself.

If you want to bring your Pinoy housegirl along, you'll need the employer's sponsorship else you'll be whistling down the wind. :(

Thank You - You've made it all very clear for me now.

Much obliged !

Ooops one more thing ........... while the husband is there with his business visa waiting for his permit, can the wife join him as a tourist??

Yes, but she'll still need to go through the embassy process in part 3 above - you can't apply for a residence visa having entered on a tourist/visit visa.

Geez they don't make things easy for one, do they?? :)

Oh, and being a tourist, you'll have to leave every month and come back in again.

And that would be terrible?

No not really as long as we're settled in a home and my animals are safe there with my husband !

Spiggle70 wrote:

And that would be terrible?

depends on if you have to pay for it, if you have to take kids out of school, how many times you have to do it before you get a residency visa.... not to mention the joy of getting to and from and actually going through the airport on a regular basis...

plus the air fares...

dinky wrote:

as long as...my animals are safe there with my husband !

Hah! Poor guy.