American living in Santa Marta

hi there   i am an ex us resident living in Barranquilla,  I TRAVEL to sta marta from time to time  ID be glad to share experiences with you ,, I AM also planning to relocate or buy a small studio in Sta MARTA...

Hi there!
My husband and I are also US ex pats. We live in Rodadero just outside of Santa Marta. Stop on by for a visit
Jill

ok  i d like to meet up with you guys  my cell number is ***, i know the city pretty well, and how long have you been living here?

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Contact details should be shared through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi, I am planning to visit Santa Marta in June. My wife lives in Funza and we will be looking for a rental there.

ok  let me know in advance,  ill help you guys out

Thank you, I appreciate very much.

how many days are you planning to stay in SM ?

Been here in Rodadero a little more than 2 years. Lived in Cartagena about 18 months. Perfer Rodadero, Santa Marta to Cartagena.

I completely agree with you , Santa Marta is a much nicer place to live.  I also lived in Cartagena, in the LAGUITO area , but i relocated here to Barranquilla and planning on buying a small property in Santa Marta..

I will fly into Bogota on the 18th of June and meet my wife there. I plan on being there for a couple of days to apply for the retirement visa then we will fly to Santa Marta. We are flexible on the time that we will be there.

ok   feel free to call me at **** my cellphone here in Colombia  I could help you find an apartment for rent  in SM  If you need info on Bogota I could give you advice as well...

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you

Thank you very much for the offer. We would be happy to meet up in Santa Marta and take you out for dinner.

Ok that sounds good, just call me up.
regards

ok  just let me know when  youd like to meet up

We will be in Santa Marta on 2 July and will be staying at the Best Western. I will call you when I fly into Bogota in June.

ok, ill be waiting for your call,   feel free to ask me any questions regarding flight prices, and hotel in bogota as well
regards

Found a beachfront lot for sale at taganga .
Need information on real estate construction prices. And safety in this town. Thank you.

Good morning
We used Jorge Hernando Cervantes at Coldwell Banker in Santa Marta. He is /was the Director Comercial there. He found our house for us in Rodadero. Very honest and knowledgeable. Give him a call****** Good luck
Jill
Moderated by Djameel 2 years ago
Reason : Please share contact details via private message, thank you.

Thank you I do appreciate your help Jill. But I prefer to stay away from realtors Even in USA I always bought from owners and sell by owner. Never have a problem an all my negotiations end with a hand shake an a good amount of money in my pocket 😜
What I need is opinions from people who life in taganga the internet reviews are not looking favorable.

An Expat who does real estate purchasing in South America without using a buyer's attorney is asking for trouble, no matter how many handshake deals he did in the USA.

cccmedia in Quito

I never said no lawyer I said no Realtor's.

Others besides you read these threads and benefit from advice given by experienced Expats.

There is no need to take it personally.

cccmedia

I don't take it personal. I was driving and send a short message. I do appreciate your information..
I have been looking in a few different countries and the expats realtor never have the best deals most of the time they have gringo prices. 
Best regards .

Now I know why they say, Don't text and drive at the same time.

hi there,, well i dont know if you know already  lots in the taganga area have no legal papers, they sell the possesion but not the property,,,   but besides that its a beautiful area...moderately safe...
if you need more info contact me,, I myself bought a small lot near the airport area,   with papers,  near the new hilton  that is going to be built in SANTA MARTA
REGARDS
EDUARDO

Thank you eduardo.
Good information
I didn't know taganga was a ROP deal. I will stay away.
I think I am going to stick to my original Idea of buying in Dominican Republic. I have been checking costa rica, panama and colombia. To many ROP and the prices on " internet " are to high.

maybe i could help you out  if you tell me what you are looking for

i bought this 100 square metre lot , with papers ok  in 10K US

Thank you again eduardo.
I am looking for oceanfront on a 20 ft or more elevation(above sea level) .
In an small city with no traffic, nice persons , low taxes and low crime .
All this with a bugged of $15,000😂. Just kidding LOL. 
Now seriously can be a lot or house. No HOA or restrictions. And can not have gringo price. I am flexible with the price.  👍👍👍

@jmb0675

My name is Ed Owens and I am looking to buy a condo on the beach in Santa Marta my first thought was I wanted to be able to walk into town but now I am second guessing this. The big reason is  I do not want a car. We live in USA and Budapest Hungary both in center city with great transportation. El Roder. Area is 10-15  car ride into town so I asked if they had bus?

What is all on this sites suggestion as I heard the closest you get to the port the water is not as clear plus the beaches are not as pretty. Thank you all.
@Plimsol

Meant to ask you,we can buy private insurance in Santa Marta? What is the cost?
Thank you very much

Ed Owens Richmond Virginia.
Moderated by Julien 2 years ago
Reason : for your own safety please use the private message system to share your contact details
Dear Ed,

There are some reasons you should hesitate before buying a condo in Santa Marta, Colombia...

1.  You are apparently unfamiliar with the area.  Ipso facto, you should follow the number-one rule known to all veteran Expats in South America:

New arrivals should live in the target area for at least a year before buying. 

2.  The average high temperature in Santa Marta is 90 degrees or more every month of the year.  Sure, Richmond gets to 90 in June-August, but it's temperate the other months.  Living in 90 degree temps year-round without air conditioning, waiting for the bus or walking to the center in the heat .. these activities do not suit most North American Expats.

3.  Renting a furnished apartment is an idea to consider if you are continuing to live part-time in Virginia and Europe, in addition to a new place in Colombia.  Unless, of course, you have money to burn...

cccmedia
Insurance is available.

Insurance is available in Santa Marta and all Colombian cities .. and is generally required of motorists (SOAT) and residents (health insurance).

Price will vary by type of insurance, deductible, age of person or vehicle, company policies and other factor(s).

cccmedia
Special insurance rules during The Situation.

Some of Colombia's insurance rules have been relaxed temporarily.

For instance, health insurance for residents who took out policies
beforehand is remaining in effect during the pandemic while
premium payments have been suspended or waived.

Source... this Sunday's YouTube program Coffee Time on
                 the Gran Colombia channel

@Ebowens111
Hi
I love Santa Marta but we decided to live in  Rodadero because it has a "small town" feel , everyone knows you , great resturants and  nice beaches. You can walk to anything you need.
Santa Marta is fun. We go about once  or twice a month to shop , get really good chinese food or see our Drs.
Great bus system  and taxis here.
We lived in Cartagena right on tbe beach for 1 year . When we moved here we decided to buy 3 blocks from the beach.
Love it here
@Ebowens111

When you say private insurance do you mean medical?
We belong to EPS Sanitas. The regular costs $ 125,000. Col peso plus we have tbe premium plan for an additional  for $162,000 . We're both over 65 so we pay at the top end but so worth it. Fantastic Drs. Great medical, dental, eye , hearing  and the list goes on. Couldnt be happier

Hello, I am coming to Santa Marta in late august 2023 to check it out. Would be delited to find some one to chat with about living there. I am 75, lived in thailand about 8 years. Now Missouri, my kids all live in different states. I will be staying at Hotel Santa Marta.

Thanks

Jim

Hello to all

I am coming to santa marta in late August this year 2023, will be staying at Hotel Santa Marta for a week. Wanting to check out rentals in the area and shopping bars cafes. Looking for a place to settle, have lived in thailand and Puerto Rico. Im now 75 and y kids all live in different states.

Any help will be apppreciated.

Thanks Jim M

My Daughter lives in Santa Marta and loves it.  There are lots to do there and the climate is more agreeable that Bogota was for her.  She recently got her Masters Degree and is working there.  I visit from time to time and find Santa Marta one of the better destinations for expats.

No one has mentioned the water quality. I have made three trips over the years and fell ill on all of the trips. I was advised on the last trip that it is due to the water (per the doctor). I did after the fact notice a small notification on the mirror in the Hilton advising to not drink the water and to go to a particular floor to get drinking water. The doctor that treated me also advised not to consume shrimp as that is a likely source of contamination. I did have shrimp on the latest trip and probably on others. Also the wonderful fruit juices are a source of contaminated water. Ask at the nice restaurant or hotel if they use municipal water or bottled water to mix their juices and also be aware of anything that has ice in it. Next trip is will be beer for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

lpd

@eduardo55 Hi Eduardo. I am a.british expat.married in Colombia.  I can be your guide to everything as I  have the right people and experience  . Let me know an email address we can communicate