Absolutely Anything Else

Yes, it would be a bit horrible if you took the car to the shop and got stuck there. Not sure how much a tow truck would be, maybe you have a friends with a tow bar and a strong car or truck that could "rescue" you if needed?
Our son blew the engine on his Mercedes a few years back, his fault for not tightening the oil pan screw well enough, being in a rush to finish the job and heading out on the freeway in Vegas.
Long story about his Korean GF and I trying to head out to rescue him and our old Caddie heating up and we also getting stuck!
Long story but my husband after work bought a tow rig and he pulled the Mercedes off the highway before it got towed to a yard.
No one and I mean no one stopped to help my son on the highway with cars buzzing fast, he had to walk off the freeway to make a phone call.
No biggie our fuel pump went out once in Vegas on a new stretch of freeway, lucky we were able to roll under a overpass for the shade and i had a gallon of water with us to drink.
Over 105 degree and we sat there for literally 2 hours before anyone stopped to see if we were ok.
Could of died out there for all anyone cared. A gas co. truck stopped and let us use his phone to call a tow truck( sometimes having a cell phone is a good idea) after he left and we waited for the tow .A car finally stopped to see if we needed aid.A young man in a old car with 3 kids inside.
Not like all those cars flying by would bother .Found it both heart warming and upsetting that a young father with a junk car was the only person to stop to help out, that's Vegas, people are not very kind there overall. Those who are are great but those who aren't are the worst sorts.
A major brake job can take some time, best to have all the right parts and tools at hand before starting or things can get ugly.
I once got so scammed by a brake shop that the next brake job I needed my husband did it himself. He had his shop back then so we could jack up the car on blocks and leave it to when he had time between machining jobs.
Took everything totally apart and redid it all, rotors, calipers, pads drums the whole system. I helped at the end with bleeding the brake, the car came out better then new but took a few weeks to finish the job. Not much fun outdoors in the cold, maybe packing it up till springtime isn't a bad idea.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

You mean chemical fixings.

The system I referred was a plastic plug, then an adhesive like gripfill is injected with a caulk gun.

Of course there are also more simple expanding butterfly plastic plugs, but I will darned if I can find there here locally where I live.

Yes,  these are what they look like:

Sleeves for Chemical Fixings

They are stupidly overpriced - so you can use an old pair of tights for it.   I've never used the capsule type but I might have a go sometime.  I don't have that many applications for that kind of thing at the moment.

The butterfly type ones I have seen somewhere here but  I'm currently using a different kind like this (made of metal):

Hollow/Cavity Wall Fixings

I can usually just buy these OTC when I go back to the UK (I know that doesn't help much).   I also buy chemical fixing kits there - they are cheap in the UK - but they cannot be transported by plane due to their volatility so it's road only.  Never tried to have it delivered to HU but might be worth a try.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

...A major brake job can take some time, best to have all the right parts and tools at hand before starting or things can get ugly.
I once got so scammed by a brake shop that the next brake job I needed my husband did it himself. He had his shop back then so we could jack up the car on blocks and leave it to when he had time between machining jobs.
Took everything totally apart and redid it all, rotors, calipers, pads drums the whole system. I helped at the end with bleeding the brake, the car came out better then new but took a few weeks to finish the job. Not much fun outdoors in the cold, maybe packing it up till springtime isn't a bad idea.

Now things have got much worse and much better all at the same time.  The good news is my brakes have suddenly improved on their own. Why?! Now there's more brake fluid in the reservoir than there was before (and no, I didn't put any in it).   To channel The Donald, "What the hell is going on?"

The bad news is that it's really snowing.   I moved the car to the back of the house and now with the snow, I'll never get it out! It's a 4WD but even that has its limits.  By the time it warms up, it'll be total mush out there.  The other bad news is that the kids want me to go sledging. 

I will eventually have to take the car to be checked on the brakes because it won't pass its road test if the brakes are not within tolerance.  So I will take it to a place I know nearby that has a rolling road and a brake efficiency system.  They might have a vacuum pump bleeder or even better a diagnostic unit to cycle the ABS.  There are some other small jobs to do it as well - replace some rubber bushes (USA: bushings) at the front and back and the last two sections of the exhaust. Oh, and clean the air intakes. Errr...and the steering shaft...and maybe the steering box....

klsallee wrote:

....Personally, I would prefer us having faster than light travel and colonies on Mars where I could have a Martian beer with a Martian at the local pub, over flying cars. I am not bitter. Just disappointed.  ;)

I hear you brother. 

I'm becoming a fan of Elon Musk.   

Everything he is doing is oriented to establishing a Mars colony. He's got the vision, the money and he's building all the different parts of the technology needed in different businesses. It's getting to the point where I think he might actually be able to do it.   Last I heard is that there's talk of bring down the transit time to 2-3 weeks.

My bitterness (annoyance? disappointment even) is that I'm unlikely to benefit from that Mars trip.  But just in case, we'll might need those flying cars to get to the pub - The Inn on the Red Planet.

Chikagoan wrote:

If they are ethnically Hungarian, then they are Hungarian. period.

Let's take a Wikipedia definition:

Membership of an ethnic group tends to be defined by a shared cultural heritage, ancestry, origin myth, history, homeland, language or dialect, symbolic systems such as religion, mythology and ritual, cuisine, dressing style, art, and physical appearance.

What percent of any or all of those would qualify to make someone a member of any ethnic group? 1%? More? And lets not forget genetics. Is a 100% genetically Slavic person "ethnically" Hungarian simply because their grandfather was born on one side of a line in the dirt called a national boarder 100 years ago (i.e. qualified for "homeland" above)? But otherwise his descendants have no ties to the country which controlled that part of dirt at the time? Yet the grandchild can get citizenship in that country based on a century old geographical accident at birth? Does that make sense?

Ethno-nationalists try to make this all so easy. But in reality it is complicated. Often comes down to mostly politics. And that can change. At any time.

Such as:

Chikagoan wrote:

Hungary has historically supported the Hungarian diaspora and provided citizenship for them when they move to Hungary.

Historical Hungarian citizenship and diaspora support is far, far more complicated than what you claim.

For example, try to tell to my wife's grandfather about how supportive Hungary was to him, who was a 56er and lost citizenship when he escaped Hungary. Or to my wife's parents who had their citizenship stripped from them when they themselves escaped Communist Hungary, and were convicted in absentia to prison. They lived as stateless refugees for years. No support from the Hungarian government for them at all. Not one bit. They were in fact vilified. That's politics. That is history. The local Hungarian diaspora helped each other, to some extent (and to some extent not). But without help from their country. Big difference.

Current politics are different. But politics can change at anytime. Don't count on politics to be all that stable. Especially governments in Europe. That is not long term European history and potential European reality. Maybe if a new government is elected they will find all the simplified naturalizations null and void. One never knows. Anything is possible in these politically polarized dynamic times we live in.

Transferred from: Other Thread

Chikagoan wrote:

Oh come on now. Here we go and pretend that there is no such thing as ethnicity. There is no such thing as Hungarian, no such thing as English or Scottish or Slovenian. They are just arbitrary labels.
That's simply ridiculous and goes along precisely with my point about political correctness and multiculturalism.
Might as well argue that DNA has nothing to do with heredity  and historical annals are simply toilet paper.

I think klsallee said much the same as I do below.

Well, yes, it is arbitrary. I think there's confusion here about DNA, culture and immigration.   It's nuture not nature.  This is something the far right here (and elsewhere) doesn't want to get but it's all ridiculous - we have the example off the Jobbik guy changing his spots and embracing his new found Jewishness. 

The grandchildren of immgrants from other countries that are here in HU, may appear to be Hungarian but they if we talk of "ethnicity", they could well be from somewhere else - like Romania or Slovenia or Ukraine.  They may speak languages other than Hungarian too.  So what does that make them?

Are these progeny of grandparent immigrants actually Hungarians or not?

There's nothing in my DNA that I know about that particularly distinguishes me from anyone else in the mix in Europe.  And there's nothing here much that physically distinguishes the Hungarians from the Slovenians.

Are you ethnically Hungarian or American?  What's dominant? Do people see you as a foreigner in the USA?  What about your kids - if you have some? Are they ethnically Hungarian, Korean or American?

My point is that being an "authentic ethnic" person anywhere is mobile target. 

I'm in danger of breaching Godwin's law here.

At the risk of coming off as "Bitter" more like "Real" I agree some people do feel entitled but not just here in Hungary but world wide.
Look at what is happening in western Europe, people who never contributed a thing are demanding so much in welfare.
I personally don't "get it" welfare to my mind is for someone who is too young, too sick or too old or in a temp. bad situation.
Of course we must help the weak and poor but to make it a lifestyle for a healthy person is just so wrong.
Entitlement is not a God given gift, someone is working hard and paying taxes that they could use for their own family rather then hand out to a lazy stranger .
From personal experience, I know my mother found herself on her own at age 13 when her mother died in the 1930's in the US.
Her full blooded Mohawk grandmother and 2 half breed aunts let her finish up the 8th grade but at 14 she had to quit school and get a full time job to help support her younger sister. There was no social welfare in the US at that time. One would never know my mother didn't finish school, she read all the time and always craved knowledge.
Later in her life my "dead beat" father had to be set free. Mom found herself with 4 children to support , no job in the days when women were expected to stay home and take care of their children with the help of a husband.
She didn't know how to drive a car in Ca. where one really does need to drive.
She refused to apply for any social air at all found that to be the lowest thing a person could ever do.
She bought a old car, learned to drive it, got a full time job in a man's world in a factory and supported us all until she remarried a couple years later.
She never wanted us to get used to welfare of not doing for ourselves.
I have issues with people trying to take advantage of the social system and never doing their own lifting.
Widows, small children , vets, seniors do need some special care but healthy young people living off the system is just wrong.
People who live with generational welfare are not normal, users and losers.
When my husband and his friends arrived as refugees in the US in the early 1970's they had 2 weeks to find a job or find themselves on the st. Sometimes things have to be hard to force people to get going and do something for themselves.Some people just lack self respect.
Not against asking for help and giving it but there should be some limits on how long others have to carry the load for lazy people.

Moved from: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 65#3982111

Rawlee wrote:

Damn, tourists already tried to weasel out of paying a fair share by trying to use Über or Lyft..... snip..... Dont glorify tourists, they are only GUESTS (who leave most money in the hands of foreign hotel owners anyway).

When anyone refers to how guest friendly Hungarians are, I will send them to your comment to prove that every place has its outliers. ;)

By the way, a few thoughts:

- I may be wrong, but most (all?) of the hotels and camping area of any significant size near us are owned by a Hungarian to my knowledge. Often a Fidesz oligarch.

- Oh, yes, it was just the tourists that were the problem with Uber and Lyft. To you it was not at all any local Hungarians who made a bit of pocket cash signing up to be drivers. Nor any of the Budapest Hungarians who used these services as consumers. To say this was mostly a tourist issue without any actual ridership data is silly.

- The government, instead of passing some simple legislation to properly get VAT and other payments from these services, preferred to bend to the taxi "mafia" by requiring any such service to having a dispatch. "Capitalism baby" as you like to say, died by government decree. And, oddly, killing modern, Internet business options by requiring old, outdated technology and rules. Much like Orban's speech, where he talked about using a row boat, as a metaphor, to argue that the only way forward was to look to the past, essentially with one's back to the future -- I guess he never heard about an outboard motor that could also move one to the future, forward facing and faster. Or did he just reject that technology because it was invented by an immigrant?

Euronews article on learning the Hungarian language (video and text)

Reply moved from https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =3#3984304

Chikagoan wrote:

Hungary is a  nice place for people in search of peace, low cost of living, and decreased ethnic diversity.

Wait... What?

I thought you have a Korean wife? And if you move here with her, you will be importing and increasing ethnic diversity to Hungary. Contrary to the above.

Or do you just consider yourself an extra special case where your own rules don't apply to you?  :/

It is true in some parts of Hungary they are even anti- Budapest Hungarian.
If they notice you are "citified folk" then you are treated differently.
In Budapest of course they must be open minded and except all other cultures but only because it puts a few bucks in their pockets.
In the countryside, they are not as tolerant of other cultures or even outsiders of their own ethnic group.
Even if they smile to your face, inside they aren't very excepting or happy to see unusual faces or races.
I remember in Erd when my SIL needed some help digging about 50 some feet for her plumber to fix a leak. The regular guy that did odd jobs was really busy so my husband and his sister dug up the lawn themselves before the plumber  could fix the leak. I noticed a group of Gypsy men doing work on the public street. I suggested they hire these guys for a day to dig up her yard.
Man oh man, did I get a ear full from the two of them.
No way would they ever actually invite them over for any reason on earth. I was just a "stupid American" at that point and never would understand how horrible it would be to ask a Gypsy for help even if you were paying them for their time. Asking for trouble and being dumb.
Ok, I just watched them spend 3 days digging a trench and never helped at all, I only gave them water, I refused to help them dig because I thought they were being silly and racist.
They both told me I couldn't and wouldn't ever know why they chose to do it themselves.Whatever.

klsallee wrote:

.....you have a Korean ....

I vote for living in an apartment or house in a genteel part of the country (like Csobanka) and preparing Kimchi  or Hongeo Sashimi for all the neighbours.

This was quite amusing.

Mind reading (it's not so difficult) as this video shows:

Mind Reading

fluffy2560 wrote:

This was quite amusing.

Mind Reading

I don't want to give away the punchline, but I do want to add, that despite everything else, he could not have done this without the Yurt.

If you are gonna read minds, you gotta have a Yurt. ;)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

This was quite amusing.

Mind Reading

I don't want to give away the punchline, but I do want to add, that despite everything else, he could not have done this without the Yurt.

If you are gonna read minds, you gotta have a Yurt. ;)

I think so.  And a white one.  And dress in white.  Smoke and mirrors Belgian style.

While we're on yurts.... I thought about buying a large yurt for say, putting down at Balaton for the summer.  They cost about $6-10K and are very unwieldy for transport. But they do come as kits and as it's really a tent, there's a possibility, it could just be put up without too much planning. 

Surprisingly, one could stay in a yurt in Hungary not far away from where I live.  See here - Dobogoko Yurtotel

Bit of a surprise that the web site claims Yurts as Hungarian because I thought they were Chinese but there could be a connection since they are traditional in Mongolia where they are known as Gers (I was in Mongolia multiple times).  This fits in with the story that the Magyars migrated from Asia.

Was thinking what was up with the headset,then the curtain came down.
I have a "stalker" on this site , sorry now I used my real name.
Was thinking of adding a photo but thought the better of it.
Not worried though, I have little important info online, nothing exciting happening, the passcodes my husband makes up are so complicated even he forgets them and has to meditate to remember.
Had to give up a few accounts because we forgot the passcode, don't think there is really much need for a code that is 26 letters and numbers long partly written in different languages etc.
It is scary though the whole world is now 1984 but much worst then expected, now with 5 G they can zap anyone at anytime, sleeper cell people and hearing voices in your head.
Transhumans are coming sooner then we think, I can't stand Sofia the robot, scares the living you know what outta me.

fluffy2560 wrote:

While we're on yurts.... I thought about buying a large yurt for say, putting down at Balaton for the summer.  They cost about $6-10K and are very unwieldy for transport. But they do come as kits and as it's really a tent, there's a possibility, it could just be put up without too much planning.

I actually looked into this. A lot. For possible tourist rentals. A disaster.

First of all, the rules here consider Yurts a fixed structure, liable for all the regulations as if they were built of bricks. (Don't try to argue that they are portable -- we tried). And the property we were considering did not have a "building" permit (yeah... putting up a Yurt would require a building permit  :huh: ) so we were SOL on that alone.

So I looked into "luxury tents". No go also. Required a full plumbing and sewage system to host guests even in a tent. The property does not have a water line. And no bio-toilet option allowed. There were ways "around that", but none were realistic for us.

Despite a growing tourist sector for "ruffing it", but doing so in luxury, the rules here just have not caught up with such market dynamics (which is typical). So I gave up.

Rules are different if you just use it yourself. But if you invite people to stay there, even friends, you can run afoul of the rules.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Bit of a surprise that the web site claims Yurts as Hungarian

Yes. Well. Marketing. Such as: we have deer here, yet I have never heard one "sniffing in the night"  :cool: .

And tepees in Lapland are called laavu. Simply because different nomadic people use similar designs does not mean they own the design. ;)

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Was thinking what was up with the headset,then the curtain came down.
I have a "stalker" on this site , sorry now I used my real name.
Was thinking of adding a photo but thought the better of it.
Not worried though, I have little important info online, nothing exciting happening, the passcodes my husband makes up are so complicated even he forgets them and has to meditate to remember.
Had to give up a few accounts because we forgot the passcode, don't think there is really much need for a code that is 26 letters and numbers long partly written in different languages etc.
It is scary though the whole world is now 1984 but much worst then expected, now with 5 G they can zap anyone at anytime, sleeper cell people and hearing voices in your head.
Transhumans are coming sooner then we think, I can't stand Sofia the robot, scares the living you know what outta me.

It's generally the case that you should never use your real name nor should you use your real birth date either. 

One way I saw once to avoid password fatigue is to use a password algorithm but make it up yourselves - simple example, if my name is say, Sandy and this year I am 27, my dog is called Wooofie and I'm banking at Budapest Bank, then my password for Budapest Bank could be BBSandy27Woof!e and on 1st January 2018, I would change it to be would be BBSandy28Woof!e.   My Telenor password would be TeleSandy27Woof!e.  Each site is therefore different.  Variants could be changing Woof!e to S0cks (Sandy's cat) alternately depending on if it's an even or odd numbered year.

Obviously this is a simple  example, but obviously best not to share the algorithm with anyone. These are quite a strong passwords but not as strong as "HE:iow'owjejw'w12918392" (random keyboard bashing).   

I find Facebook and LinkedIn really insidious.  They want to know too much and they try to connect you into their agenda.  I'm not in Facebook or LinkedIn and I keep away those things but I've found I've appeared in photos other people have taken and they've tagged me without my knowledge.  Google is one of the worst and Microsoft is catching up.  It's guerilla warfare and an arms race to find a way to stop them gathering information and building a picture of your life.

Google is scanning your devices and scanning your e-mails as well.  I reckon the class action on Google's illegal WiFi scanning on the iPhone is going to get people some money. Rumour is £200 per person - see the  details here: Google iPhone Class Action in UK.

I'm much less worried about Sophia than the driverless cars. Tesla has supposedly already killed someone.

fluffy2560 wrote:

use a password algorithm

This is good.

But the real problem with passwords is not their user's complexity per se (but longer and more complex is always better to prevent brute force attacks), but if a hacker gets into the system. If that happens, longer and more complex passwords may be pointless.

In other words, if the passwords are stored in a weak hash, then a long complex password like "I2amAprettyPrincess&WorkingH4rd" is probably useless because maybe something as simple as "Xe56?!%55" could create the same hash -- so will work as the "password" as well. That is, password security today is not so much an end user issue as it is an issue of corporate security. That is, how vulnerable is the corporate system to hacking or not. And in Europe, I don't think there are strong enough rules to inform users if the corporate systems have been hacked. Which leads to all sorts of problems.

klsallee wrote:

...I actually looked into this. A lot. For possible tourist rentals. A disaster.

First of all, the rules here consider Yurts a fixed structure, liable for all the regulations as if they were built of bricks. (Don't try to argue that they are portable -- we tried). And the property we were considering did not have a "building" permit (yeah... putting up a Yurt would require a building permit  :huh: ) so we were SOL on that alone.

So I looked into "luxury tents". No go also. Required a full plumbing and sewage system to host guests even in a tent. The property does not have a water line. And no bio-toilet option allowed. There were ways "around that", but none were realistic for us.

....Rules are different if you just use it yourself. But if you invite people to stay there, even friends, you can run afoul of the rules....

That's a bit inconvenient.  Yurts are definitely portable.  I thought as it was a tent, then it would be fine.  And it would give some authenticity to my wannabe hippie credentials. 

The Yurts are Dobogoko have shared bathroom facilities so they managed it. Presumably up there on top of the hill, they only have a septic tank and as for water, who knows.  Clearly they have electricity.

A few years back, we put up tents in Balaton for the kids to play in but no-one ever said we couldn't do it.   They weren't sleeping in it - just playing and keeping out of the sun.

Any idea on the regulations for just regular tents for self use?  Or even camp grounds?

fluffy2560 wrote:

The Yurts are Dobogoko have shared bathroom facilities so they managed it.

Shared bathrooms are allowed for a designated public "campground", if they are properly built under regs.

fluffy2560 wrote:

A few years back, we put up tents in Balaton for the kids to play in but no-one ever said we couldn't do it.   They weren't sleeping in it - just playing and keeping out of the sun.

Any idea on the regulations for just regular tents for self use?  Or even camp grounds?

Tents for self use are not regulated much. Especially if you have "facilities" somewhere to access (such as toilet).

If you invite guests, such as your friends come with you for the weekend, and the tent is on your property, then "yes" their use falls under the guest rules and include regulations. You even are suppose to pay the local "overnight guest tax" if friends are at your property. Even in your tent. Not everybody is aware of this, and many that are aware of it laugh at it and ignore it, but that is the law on the books.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

use a password algorithm

This is good.

But the real problem with passwords is not their user's complexity per se (but longer and more complex is always better to prevent brute force attacks), but if a hacker gets into the system. If that happens, longer and more complex passwords may be pointless.

In other words, if the passwords are stored in a weak hash, then a long complex password like "I2amAprettyPrincess&WorkingH4rd" is probably useless because maybe something as simple as "Xe56?!%55" could create the same hash -- so will work as the "password" as well. That is, password security today is not so much an end user issue as it is an issue of corporate security. That is, how vulnerable is the corporate system to hacking or not. And in Europe, I don't think there are strong enough rules to inform users if the corporate systems have been hacked. Which leads to all sorts of problems.

For individuals, I think it's more serious to get password fatigue.  Too many awkward passwords.

I think the algorithms for passwords are quite OK currently although simple hashes can generate clashing keys (use of prime numbers useful here).  I also like the OTP (One Time Password) system favoured by banks and using mobile phones.

As usual, it's a people issue.  People share passwords, write them down and try to simplify.  Hence other profile settings and policies can be used - set expiry dates, minimum length, structure (use of capitals, non printable characters, punctuation etc).

fluffy2560 wrote:

For individuals, I think it's more serious to get password fatigue.  Too many awkward passwords.

... snip...

As usual, it's a people issue.

I agree. And we have not even discussed social engineering.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

... snip...

As usual, it's a people issue.

I agree. And we have not even discussed social engineering.

We could come back full circle to Godwin and OV if we went down that path.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Heaven forbid.

We don't want to allude to Fascists here. No, no, no, no. We want to avoid that.

Er. Um.... Hm..... Ooops. My bad.   :dumbom:

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Heaven forbid.

We don't want to allude to Fascists here. No, no, no, no. We want to avoid that.

Er. Um.... Hm..... Ooops. My bad.   :dumbom:

Might already going down that route with the "fascist" anti-yurt authorities:   

If you aren't part of the yurt solution,  you're part of the the yurt problem.

Ask not what can a yurt can do for you, but what you can do for a yurt.

All yurts were created equal but some yurts are more equal than others.

When the revolution comes, we'll all have yurts.

Watch out for the Soros-yurt plan where yurts will be everywhere.

Snow White and the Seven Yurts...

Cinderyurtella....

Errr.....

A yurt a day keeps the doctor away

I'll get my coat....

fluffy2560 wrote:

anti-yurt authorities

You forgot:

Real yurts have curves.....   ;)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

anti-yurt authorities

You forgot:

Real yurts have curves.....   ;)

I also forgot to finish this sentence.....how many yurts does it take to change a light bulb....

Talking of passwords, I just had to change mine to log on here. For forum sites like this, if my browser offers to save my password, I always click "yes". For things like internet banking, I always click "no". A few days ago Windows 10 updated itself and I suspect that wiped some of my passwords.

That is interesting about the yurts. I suppose the same rules would apply to  static caravans. I don't think I've ever seen a static caravan in Hungary.

fidobsa wrote:

....That is interesting about the yurts. I suppose the same rules would apply to  static caravans. I don't think I've ever seen a static caravan in Hungary.

You mean the mobile home type ones?  No, I've not seen those either. 

I have seen normal caravans semi-converted into permanent ones - complete with roof etc.  Mainly the ones I've seen  are down in Balaton on some of the campgrounds.  I don't think they've moved for years. 

I don't think I've actually seen a caravan parked at someone's house.

I've seen prefabricated/modified shipping containers being used as kind of houses.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I also forgot to finish this sentence.....how many yurts does it take to change a light bulb....

That I do not know.

But I know it takes 11 people to screw in a light bulb in a yurt.

Here it comes.... Wait for it.... wait for it.....

One to hold the bulb, and 10 to pick up the yurt and spin it around.

Side note: If one wonders how a modern, not traditional, yurt is built see here (looks like a model from Pacific Yurts to me, which would have been where I would (past tense since it is now not gonna happen) have bought and imported from):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlspZctKW14

fidobsa wrote:

Talking of passwords, I just had to change mine to log on here. For forum sites like this, if my browser offers to save my password, I always click "yes". For things like internet banking, I always click "no". A few days ago Windows 10 updated itself and I suspect that wiped some of my passwords.

I always change my passwords, best to be safe than sorry.

klsallee wrote:

Here it comes.... Wait for it.... wait for it.....

One to hold the bulb, and 10 to pick up the yurt and spin it around.

Wasn't really a question, more a kind of comment.  I'll have to think of something interesting to say about it as it would be a anti-climax with "just one.... with a stepladder and a bag of bulbs and a screwdriver (optional)".  I did think about saying, "None!  Real hippie yurt owners don't have fascist electric lights".

klsallee wrote:

Side note: If one wonders how a modern, not traditional, yurt is built see here (looks like a model from Pacific Yurts to me, which would have been where I would (past tense since it is now not gonna happen) have bought and imported from):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlspZctKW14

I was thinking more like this - bit more basic but also something that could be dismantled (and would therefore actually be a tent):

Alibaba - Yurts going Cheap

On the other hand, many years ago, in the UK, we used to build straw baled houses.   This is a possible option to a design to improve the heat retention. A yurt with straw bales for walls.  In this case, the yurts could like modules - several small yurts around a central larger yurt space.  Basically a cluster.

fluffy2560 wrote:

On the other hand, many years ago, in the UK, we used to build straw baled houses.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Reetdach_P7040055.JPG/1200px-Reetdach_P7040055.JPG

They still do in some villages

fluffy2560 wrote:

Real hippie yurt owners don't have fascist electric lights".

An even better answer than mine.

Darn.

You beat me again.  :cheers:

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

On the other hand, many years ago, in the UK, we used to build straw baled houses.

[img align=C]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Reetdach_P7040055.JPG/1200px-Reetdach_P7040055.JPG[/url]

They still do in some villages

That's a thatched roof.    I have seen those here but this is not the same straw bale walled houses.

I'm referring to straw baled walls which are then covered in chicken wire, then  lime plastered. They hold the bales in place using willow* sticks.

Something like this: Not quite a Yurt but has Straw Bale Walls

*might be something else, quoting from wonky memory

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Real hippie yurt owners don't have fascist electric lights".

An even better answer than mine.

Darn.

You beat me again.  :cheers:

It's not a competition!

fluffy2560 wrote:

It's not a competition!

Oh dear. What would Darwin say to that? ;)

But in any case, I can and should admit, appreciate, and doff my hat to a more clever retort than mine.  :top:

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

It's not a competition!

Oh dear. What would Darwin say to that? ;)

But in any case, I can and should admit, appreciate, and doff my hat to a more clever retort than mine.  :top:

I merely adapted it from another joke. I suppose adaption is Darwinism.  Creationists have a harder time writing their own material.   

I could have said "How many country singers does it take to change a yurt's light bulb?".  Answer: "100 -  1 to change the lightbulb and 99 to sing about how good it was!".

On other matters, what is going on with the weather?  It's a mini-heatwave expected with up to 15 C reported on the forecast.   Last night, it was about 13 C here (in the middle of the night!).  I can see fast moving clouds scudding across the hills.  No sign of any sun though! Zilch! Nada!

fluffy2560 wrote:

On other matters, what is going on with the weather?  It's a mini-heatwave expected with up to 15 C reported on the forecast.   Last night, it was about 13 C here (in the middle of the night!).

Thank you global warming????  :/