Absolutely Anything Else

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Mick Jagger, now that's a topic I know allot about...
Still a bit jealous of my deceased older sister, she had a big wet one placed on her smacker in 1966 by old Mick himself...
One of her claims to fame... The old groupie!!
She said it was ,"wet, sloppy and smelled of booze"  still...

Fame by association!  Brilliant!

Fred wrote:

I have never kissed Mick Jagger, but I have known the odd groupie.

Maybe you never had the opportunity.  If he ever comes out your way you can always make him an offer.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Fred wrote:

I have never kissed Mick Jagger, but I have known the odd groupie.

Maybe you never had the opportunity.  If he ever comes out your way you can always make him an offer.

He can make me an offer - Any port in a storm.

Think that ship has sailed by decades ago....
I have never been a groupie, my sis gets all the credit for that personality trait.
She met and mingled with so many of those old A listers from back in the day... I almost couldn't believe half of her tales but I know they were true, meeting the Stones when she was 15 or 16 I will never forget, She had ditched school with her friends, hitched rides all the way to the recording studios in Hollywood, Cal.
Our mom was waiting up at midnight when my sis finally got home from "school" fireworks in the house!!!!
Mom screaming and hitting her for pulling that stuff, I was 10-11 years old and shared the bedroom with my sister. She came into the room, woke me up to tell me all about her exciting long day in the recording studio, met 4 of the boys plus beautiful Anita Pallenburg.
I at that age really couldn't care less about the Stones , just wanted to go back to sleep.
I bet my sis had some sweet dreams that night between the pain from my mom giving her her best.
Years later my sister said she and her friend shouldn't of been such "good girls" Mick hid them both in a broom closet and a security guard found them and threw them onto the street, out the back door.
Silly stuff , sis was a cutie back then, looked a bit like Twiggy the model with ultra long straight hair like a Mod chick.  I am happy to know she at least had some fun and unusual adventures in her short life.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Vicces1 wrote:

On the BBC, "Have I Got News for You" is another I regularly turn to...  But I am not sure when it starts up again.

Even better is "Mock The Week".  Covers all the news during the week. 

Unfortunately  all on holiday/break at the moment.

I never took to "Mock the Week" (I usually write it as Mock the Weak) but gave it another go by watching a few on YouTube. On average I seem to laugh about 2 or 3 times per show so it looks like I'm not quite on their comedy wavelength. I think it's time they brought back "Spitting Image".

fidobsa wrote:

I think it's time they brought back "Spitting Image".

Absolutely.

fidobsa wrote:

....I never took to "Mock the Week" (I usually write it as Mock the Weak) but gave it another go by watching a few on YouTube. On average I seem to laugh about 2 or 3 times per show so it looks like I'm not quite on their comedy wavelength. I think it's time they brought back "Spitting Image".

Well I can agree to some of that.  The host and the Irish guests sometimes seem to be in their own little world.  On the other hand, what I wonder is if it is scripted as sometimes they are just "too fast".  I think there's a lot of editing going on.   

Spitting Image was OK but it had good source material from Margaret Thatcher and Co.  I doubt there's as quite such good material now from Corbyn and May although Trump and Putin would no doubt  prove fruitful.

Not too keen on Room 101 but Would I Lie To You isn't bad.

anns wrote:

We need a new thread for all this chit chat about foods we love and hate.

Agreed.

Moved from : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 34#3566666

fluffy2560 wrote:

Let's be clear, Marmite was delivered to us earthlings from a higher power as gift.  It's great stuff - beloved by many babies and adults.

:blink:

fidobsa wrote:

I do use the shovel method but only because it seems logical, especially when eating peas!

Exactly. Or rice. Or beans. Or most anything except what you can stab with the fork tines. Might as well just use a sharp knife to stab all your food and stick it in your mouth.

I would try marmite BUT maybe with some red raw onions or green onions, like the concept of it being made out of beer left overs...
I have tried vegemite but I think the surrounds made it taste better then it actually was. Had it in Paris in the Latin Quarter back in 1986. My husband insisted that we have a bite when we passed a shop selling open faced sandwiches.
Darn, I've even had kangaroo soup as a kid and frogs legs, don't knock it unless you try it...

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Let's be clear, Marmite was delivered to us earthlings from a higher power as gift.  It's great stuff - beloved by many babies and adults.

The higher power being known by several names including Satan, Iblis, Shaytan, Old Harry and Fred, Marmite is the result of his visits to the toilet after 10 pints and an especially spicy kebab.

What in the world is Marmite?

capttamas wrote:

What in the world is Marmite?

diarrhoea
ˌdʌɪəˈrɪə/Submit
noun
noun: diarrhea
a condition in which faeces are discharged from the bowels frequently and in a liquid form.

Pop a cheesecloth into the toilet before you go, dry the contents so around 90% of the water is removed, bottle it and you have marmite.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02321/marmite_2321702b.jpg

Fred, dear Fred, it seems you are not a big "fan" of marmite."I do thank you for the Heads up. I will not bother buying a jar of "crapola"!!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I would try marmite BUT maybe with some red raw onions or green onions, like the concept of it being made out of beer left overs...
I have tried vegemite but I think the surrounds made it taste better then it actually was. Had it in Paris in the Latin Quarter back in 1986. My husband insisted that we have a bite when we passed a shop selling open faced sandwiches.
Darn, I've even had kangaroo soup as a kid and frogs legs, don't knock it unless you try it...

Marmite's pretty flexible but perhaps the better choice would be Bovril which is just a drinkable beef stock.  That could be mixed up with onions as a kind of soup.

I'm sorry but Vegemite is pure heresy.  A very poor substitute for the real deal (Marmite).  People who know tell me the other versions of Marmite - like they make in Africa - is just awful.

I've had kangaroo.  Nothing special.  I draw the line at Frogs or Snails.  I've quite fancied rattlesnake. I've heard it tastes like chicken.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Fred, dear Fred, it seems you are not a big "fan" of marmite."I do thank you for the Heads up. I will not bother buying a jar of "crapola"!!

Don't listen to Fred.

He's clearly from the MRL - the Marmite Resistance League.   

I cannot believe two British people in these forums have said they don't like Marmite.  I feel lonely now. There's only me and Anns who have said it's good stuff.

In the world of The Donald, what the h*** is going on?

I've even got a Marmite Tea Pot, a Marmite cup  and would you believe it, a  Marmite Cycling Jersey.

Fred wrote:
klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

The higher power being known by several names including Satan, Iblis, Shaytan, Old Harry and Fred, Marmite is the result of his visits to the toilet after 10 pints and an especially spicy kebab.

Now Fred, let's be reasonable, we all know that in most religions, all the good stuff is "bad" for you.   

Marmite is one exception to Beelzebub's temptations. 

It is actually good for you. Full of vitamins and no sugar.  Really!

klsallee wrote:
fidobsa wrote:

I do use the shovel method but only because it seems logical, especially when eating peas!

Exactly. Or rice. Or beans. Or most anything except what you can stab with the fork tines. Might as well just use a sharp knife to stab all your food and stick it in your mouth.

Or get a smoothie maker, whizz it all up, drink it and cut out the fork completely.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I'm sorry but Vegemite is pure heresy.  A very poor substitute for the real deal (Marmite).  People who know tell me the other versions of Marmite - like they make in Africa - is just awful.

I don't know where they make the KitKats sold in Hungary but they are not a patch on the ones you get in UK. I feel this product is being misrepresented outside UK so foreigners only get to sample an inferior version.

fluffy2560 wrote:

The MRL demand the total and absolute banning of Marmite from all shops around the world except in Hull because you deserve pain if they live there.

Fred wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

The MRL demand the total and absolute banning of Marmite from all shops around the world except in Hull because you deserve pain if they live there.

Very provocative.  Why single out Hull?   Now if you were talking exclusion on any grounds, then for Skelmersdale,  I might be persuaded a bit.

Anyway, the MRL has no mandate.  We're split down the middle here.  Two non-Marmite, Two Marmite.   

It's a national treasure, like Stephen Fry or Dame Judi Dench.  Or Sandi Toksvig (ok, she's not British but you see my point).

fluffy2560 wrote:

[Why single out Hull?

You'd know if you'd ever been there.

As I said in another thread, if England had an anus, Hull would come out of it.

fidobsa wrote:

I don't know where they make the KitKats sold in Hungary but they are not a patch on the ones you get in UK. I feel this product is being misrepresented outside UK so foreigners only get to sample an inferior version.

Bounty is also completely messed up in countries other than the UK.   They probably cannot get people to work down the KitKat mines these days.  Or it's outsourced to China.  HP sauce is now made in Holland. Sacrilege.

Fred wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

[Why single out Hull?

You'd know if you'd ever been there.

As I said in another thread, if England had an anus, Hull would come out of it.

Oh I have been there several times but have you been to Skelmersdale?  It's pretty bad. 

I'll raise you a Middlesborough.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I refuse to be beaten ... Grimethorpe (Barnsley).

The cheapest house in Grimethorpe for a quid because no one would buy it.
Most of the population are on drugs and it makes Cleethorpes look good.
Crime statistics are based on houses that haven't been broken into because you need the 93 petaflop Sunway TaihuLight supercomputer to work out the numbers if you did it an actual crimes.
Jimmy Savile lived there - enough said.
The police station closed after it was attacked and destroyed by locals - true story.

Top that!

No rattlesnake as of yet but have" enjoyed" eel as made in sushi.
Raw octopus in Hawaii with a side of lau-lau was interesting. First time I had some lau-lau I took it for salsa, took a large spoonful and was sorry the second I realized it was not salsa.
Had to swallow though...
Rattlesnake can be easy to find as "road kill" in many parts of the US SW.
My bro was only 3 years old at the time, our little mixed dog saved his life by getting between my bro and a rattler in our back yard in the hills of S. Cal.
My father noticed the snake, told me to tell my mom to bring out his old WW11 handgun, ( a 38?) pow-bang he shot the snake right then and there, just a few feet away from my baby bro and our dog. Threw the snake up on the highway, hench the term, road kill.
It was a bit scary to see the snake coiling up, our dog got between the rattler and my bro, dad reacted fast, I ran fast, mom grabbed the gun fast and the whole thing turned into just a interesting story, thankfully.
We always had guns locked and loaded growing up, good thing too otherwise this tale would of had a different ending.

Fred wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I refuse to be beaten ... Grimethorpe (Barnsley).

The cheapest house in Grimethorpe for a quid because no one would buy it.
Most of the population are on drugs and it makes Cleethorpes look good.
Crime statistics are based on houses that haven't been broken into because you need the 93 petaflop Sunway TaihuLight supercomputer to work out the numbers if you did it an actual crimes.
Jimmy Savile lived there - enough said.
The police station closed after it was attacked and destroyed by locals - true story.

Top that!

Ok, I can see you are playing for keeps there.  That's a tricky hand to beat with Jimmy Saville.  I couldn't even think holding a Rolf Harris with a claim on Slough (he lived nearby)  would beat that.

I'm thinking of being all in with a Scunthorpe because someone had to put you know what in the name.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

No rattlesnake as of yet but have" enjoyed" eel as made in sushi.
Raw octopus in Hawaii with a side of lau-lau was interesting. First time I had some lau-lau I took it for salsa, took a large spoonful and was sorry the second I realized it was not salsa.

I've never heard of Lau-Lau but Wikipedia has the answer.  Looks quite nice.  Why were you sorry? Spicey?

Sushi is an abomination. 

With eel, what a waste of a good eel.   To turn an eel into a British eel, it has to be jellied and served correctly.

I think rattlesnake is pretty popular in Texas - so the TV would have you believe.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Scunthorpe

I concede.

fluffy2560 wrote:

because someone had to put you know what in the name.

Non native speakers won't understand that... phew

Fred wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Scunthorpe

I concede.

fluffy2560 wrote:

because someone had to put you know what in the name.

Non native speakers won't understand that... phew

Really? Concede on that?  I thought at least one more round.  Now I know you were bluffing.  Place Name Poker not your strength then?   Yes, others may not realise the link with the name.  Like the place, best forgotten in polite company.

When I mistook the Hawaiian Lau-lau for salsa, I was on the spot.
The fishy taste just threw me, wasn't ready for it.
My husband and I were the only non Hawaiians invited to a huge HI style wedding. Actually they tend to do things differently in HI at traditional weddings. Only a very small wedding party actually witnesses the vows being taking , the "official" wedding.
Hundreds will show up for the after party.
My husband and I were invited to both parts of the wedding day, the vows and the after party.
We knew this young HI couple from months of working right next to them as vendors in a boot sale style business, they were really sweet and we found it a honor to be invited to their important day.
After party were all the local ladies bring a dish to share with all the guests, you go through the line under the big blue plastic tent( always rainy in Hilo) holding your paper plate, people fill you dish and hand you a can of beer and everyone takes a seat at a table with chairs, all rentals of course.
I was being watched by local Hawaiians when I took my first huge spoonful of lau-lau, no way could I spit it out or make a face.
I actually enjoyed it after a few sips of beer!
It was a fun time but some of the food took a bit of getting used to for my a Cali gal.

fluffy2560
Can I raise you a "Hull". 

Very cheap housing, lots of drug related crime, vandalism, arson, thefts and regular anti-social behaviour!  Police like using their tasers!  After all we are City of Culture 2017!!!  ;)   Oh yes but we DO have an ACE music scene! :whistle:

I would like to apologise for being rude about Hull.

I would like to but I can't because it's a dump :D

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

When I mistook the Hawaiian Lau-lau for salsa, I was on the spot.
The fishy taste just threw me, wasn't ready for it.
I was being watched by local Hawaiians when I took my first huge spoonful of lau-lau, no way could I spit it out or make a face.
I actually enjoyed it after a few sips of beer!
It was a fun time but some of the food took a bit of getting used to for my a Cali gal.

Sounds a bit like when I first tried peanut butter, aged about 7 or 8. I suppose my brother and I had seen people on American TV shows eating it and nagged our mum to buy some. She resisted at first, saying it would be a waste if we didn't eat it, as she didn't like peanuts. I liked butter and I liked salted peanuts so assumed I would like peanut butter, which would obviously be a combination of these 2 items. We were horrified to find it was not salty but sweet! It is a bit like putting  salt in your tea or coffee instead of sugar, just WRONG!! We could not eat it and it ended up in the bin, complete with many "Told you so" grumbles from our mum over the years. Money was always tight, so not much food went to waste in our house. I do have a jar of peanut butter which I've had for years but I only use it as bait in mousetraps.

fidobsa wrote:

I liked butter and I liked salted peanuts so assumed I would like peanut butter, which would obviously be a combination of these 2 items. We were horrified to find it was not salty but sweet! It is a bit like putting  salt in your tea or coffee instead of sugar, just WRONG!!

If any peanut butter tastes sweet it is usually because the manufacturer added sugar. And I agree, that is wrong to do.

Natural peanut butter is no more sweet than peanuts themselves. A raw, natural peanut has about 3% of its weight as naturally occurring sugars in the nut itself.

klsallee wrote:

Natural peanut butter is no more sweet than peanuts themselves.

You should see how the factories make the stuff.
I worked at a processing plant for some years so I strongly suggest you don't eat the stuff at all.

klsallee wrote:

If any peanut butter tastes sweet it is usually because the manufacturer added sugar. And I agree, that is wrong to do.

Natural peanut butter is no more sweet than peanuts themselves. A raw, natural peanut has about 3% of its weight as naturally occurring sugars in the nut itself.

Add sugar and salt to taste:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Peanut-Butter

If we all refused to eat food that was processed in a factory setting, we would all just about starve.
I will say, do not buy crushed pineapple from a famous co. that starts with the letter D and ends with E.
My friend worked in their processing factory one summer as a teenager in Honolulu, some poor women lost a couple of fingers but they didn't stop the line.... Extra juicy pineapple!!!!
Funny story , sort of. When my HU husband arrived in the US he only knew 4 or 5 words in English.
He went grocery shopping and couldn't read the labels, picked up peanut butter by mistake to put on his sausage.
I usually like peanut butter once in awhile for breakfast with some jelly, the last batch I bought here in HU wasn't all that great, too sweet perhaps.
In the US they have allot of varieties to chose from.
My sister couldn't eat peanut butter, very allergic to many foods.
Tomatoes would send her into the ER.
When our son was 17 he wanted to work, he was a strange teenage boy, he didn't want to learn to drive and get a car.
The closest places for him to work were on a long highway in New Mexico which had a ton of fast food restaurants.
First was Micky D's, he became their assistant manager in 2 weeks of work, quit a couple days later, he thought it would be "cool" for the first 2 weeks to eat only at his work place. After he started passing bright green you know what, he got scared straight and never has touched the stuff since.
Next was the famous KF*, I made him strip naked after work before entering the house to shower, that's how much blood and guts he was dealing with, just nasty, he told me I was not allowed to eat there because as his mother , he loved me too much!
Next was Taco Bell, he said it was super clean and all the food came in plastic bags that they boiled, nothing bad and nothing good either. If you put on a ton of sauce it can pass as real food.
Needless to say we only do fast food on road trips not very often for sure.
I personally like Del Taco over Taco Bell but only because of their bean and green sauce, sorry, that's a US SW thing. Pioneer chicken over KFC, only available in Cal though.

Fred wrote:

I would like to apologise for being rude about Hull.

LOL... you were doing alright until I read further down ...!!!

I would like to but I can't because it's a dump :D