When do the fireworks end?

Also after September there will be less tourists, you are experiencing the busiest time of year when it's best
to have your own holiday.

The issue for me is that I was headhunted for a job here.

My husband and I had spoken about moving abroad, discussed options including Malta and were planning to get to know some places before deciding where we wanted to live. But then by chance, I was contacted about this job. We only had time to come to Malta for a week to explore and then we had to make the decision.

That's definitely not enough time to really get to know the place which is why I def agree with others who are saying visit multiple time, come and spend 6mths before you cut your ties etc. If you can...

We didnt have that luxury - this was a very rare job opportunuty. We thought - it's an adventure, we'll regret it if we don't try it...

I definitely don't regret it because we'd have always wondered. But I know of others considering moving here for work, rather than choosing Malta as the place they want to live. I think you have to be a certain kind of person to be able to live here - possibly more relaxed, less bothered by things than I am. As I said, I didn't realise that was what I was like until I moved here!

Luckily, other than our previous jobs, we haven't cut all ties with the UK.

Don't worry Feline, it will get better once the peak tourist & festa season is over! And then you'll be happy living on a this beautiful island with lots of greenery, flowers and palm trees - in winter! Not having to deal with bleak weather and darkness for a good 3-4 months feeling cooped up inside desperate for spring to arrive.

I'm German and probably the least relaxed person in this world. I hate any kind of noise (to the point where I'm wearing ear plugs most of the day to focus on things or just to be in peace), also don't like large gatherings of people or lots of traffic. I expect my public transport to be efficient, regular and on-time... I love rules and people that stick to them.. still, even I managed to get used to and embrace the quirks of Malta :) So don't worry, look forward to autumn, winter and spring and then make up your mind.

There are some issues with my job too, it's not just the island.

Also I'm in the position of being trained to replace someone who is leaving next year - it would be selfish of me (and a waste of time for everyone, including me) to go through that if we don't think we could live here long term. I will need to decide quickly.

That's very thoughtful of you actually, but anything less than 3 months, or even 6 months, is not sufficient IMO to make up your mind about a whole country :) You arrived at the worst same and in addition you're not happy with your job it seems. Can you perhaps address the issues or change jobs? I'm just thinking that 'giving up' so soon you might regret it come December and you're yearning for a mild, sunny winter. The lifestyle actually does make up for a shitty job here, I speak from experience!  :D

The issues in my job are ingrained and they won't address them. No chance of another job in the same field here.

Also - once the good part of the year is past, we'd have the summer to go through again! And during this 'good' part of the year the traffic will be no different (locals in our area have said it is actually quieter here just now due to schools being off), the attitudes will be no different, the convenience factor won't change. Really the only difference will be weather and fireworks! Plus GozoMo mentioned the hunting season, don't know how I'd find that.

I never thought this would happen, I'm pretty upset by the whole thing. I appreciate all your suggestions very much but when I've felt frazzled, exhausted, annoyed and a nervous wreck for weeks it's hard to not just want to go home.

Well yeah that sucks. In my opinion anything that causes serious distress like that isn't really worth it in the end.

I've been travelling almost non stop for the last five years and trust me very few places require as much adjustment as Malta does.

I've lived in places where literally everyone I met over three months was so kind and genuine that when I eventually had to leave I felt physically sick that's how much I wanted to stay lol.

What I'm saying is the world is an amazing place and whatever you decide to do, as long as you don't let one bad experience ruin it all for you, things are going to be just fine. ;)

On your days off why not slip across to Gozo for a day, a change of scenery may help.
Also after the tourist season as quietened down and there are more properties available why
not move to somewhere that's not so noisy, it's still early days yet.

GozoMo we're looking at coming over to Gozo this weekend actually.

I don't know if we can suffer this until it gets quieter. Also we're finding living in an apartment hard and I know houses are few and far between. Plus the further we get from my work, the longer spent commuting which is not what we wanted either.

I can't seem to find a solution that works, believe me I've been trying. Scouring maps, looking at bus routes, lying awake trying to decide what's best...

It sounds like you're finding it hard to adapt, felinefine81.  I don't hear the noise, I know it's there though because if I'm out walking I don't hear my phone ringing.

We had a hard time when we first came, but it was all to do with where we were living.  We only moved a couple of streets away, but the difference was massive.  If you're not getting peace and quiet at home to recharge, that could be wearing you down as well.

Yeah I think the street we are on is one of the quietest in the area as it's a dead end.

Also the building we are in is new and has airtight Windows etc so, other a totally new town, I think if we are suffering here then we'll be challenged anywhere. Even just the little noises of people underneath/across from us we find annoying.

Really didn't think it would bother me as I lived in a flat for years and years. But the last few years of living in a house has obviously spoiled me!

The pollution has hit me hard too, I feel like I need an asthma inhaler for the first time in about 15 years.

I'm really sorry, I'm not trying to slag Malta off, I know it has a good side and lots of people love it. We just feel like our lifestyle is significantly worse since we came. We keep trying to be positive, focus on the good - but the negatives are winning right now.

edit to my post before: we came here in July 2012 (not 2014) and there was the day reported to be the hottest since ... whenever ...

I was surprised when I was in Saudi Arabia and temperature climbed up to 52/53 degree, but there was 0% humidity. And I had not really a problem even working outside - in the shadow of course  :)
But at 35 degree here with 85% humidity my legs feel 3 times heavier  :(

Rest assured, you will adapt, but this will take some 1 or 2 summers/winters ...

btw, no one told me something about these annoying Asian Tiger Mosquitos before I moved here  :mad:  You're lucky, this year we do not have a lot, maybe because of the dry winter ?

felinefine81 wrote:

I doubt it's a good idea to come to Gozo at this time of the year .. and this on a weekend  :unsure
I mean Gozo is amazing, really recommendable from October to June ... but July and August ... no, that's not my idea of relaxation  :P

Will it be worse than Malta?!

felinefine81 wrote:

The issues in my job are ingrained and they won't address them. No chance of another job in the same field here.

Then change your field ! It's as easy as that here in Malta ! No one expects experts or great skills for many jobs, and this makes it easy for a new start. Better earning less money at the beginning than hating what you are doing ....  :top:

I also was working 20 years in the same field before I came here (because I was fed up of working for 20 years in that field and did not dare to change that), here I could not find anything suitable in that particular field, so I started something complete different ... this is very easy here, and even when starting from scratch several times I did not get the impression this shed a bad light on me at my next job interview - as long as you have a plausible explanation for this. Hire for attitude - train for skills  :D
If you like what you are doing it's easy to develop and make your way.

And I think it's nowhere easier to register and work self-employed :) , especially since part time self employment comes with an attractive tax package

And during this 'good' part of the year the traffic will be no different (locals in our area have said it is actually quieter here just now due to schools being off),

because every person on this island feels the need to sit in his own car ... even at rush hour it takes not more then 30 minutes from the South to St. Julians with the scooter - and this can be used here 11 months a year. Ahh, yes, of course, I forgot, riding a scooter or motorcycle here is toooo dangerous. It's funny, but this sentence I only hear from people who are actually not using a motorcycle at all :lol:

I never thought this would happen, I'm pretty upset by the whole thing.

Same here, after about half a years of continuously building up frustration I was at the point of packing my things and leave the rock. And I belive with this exit strategy in mind I managed to cope with this country. I mean as long as I know that there's always the possibillity to leave, things eventually became better  :cool:

I appreciate all your suggestions very much but when I've felt frazzled, exhausted, annoyed and a nervous wreck for weeks it's hard to not just want to go home.

Cisk helps  :P

felinefine81 wrote:

I also avoid many places in Malta in July and August.
Go to Golden Bay, Blue Lagoon or Ramla Bay (Gozo) end of September/beginning of October and you'll see what I mean. Or book a weekend package in Gozo in December/January and enjoy long and quiet walks through green and blossoming country side.

And there are lots of other things you can do from October until June. Better to leave July/August for the tourists to bring their funds to us, so that the taxman does not bother us too much  :lol:

If you can swing it, July and Aug get the heck out (tho Gozo sounds good too) and escape somewhere else in Europe every 8-12 weeks the rest of the year. Europe is great that way for reasonable flights and short distances.
I realize this is not feasible for everyone, but I think it is the trick for me. If you like hiking/walking let me know. A couple friends and I go almost every weekend through the winter and it helps a lot to 'explore' a new area and just... Exercise :).

Nange wrote:

If you can swing it, July and Aug get the heck out (tho Gozo sounds good too) and escape somewhere else in Europe every 8-12 weeks the rest of the year. Europe is great that way for reasonable flights and short distances.
I realize this is not feasible for everyone, but I think it is the trick for me. If you like hiking/walking let me know. A couple friends and I go almost every weekend through the winter and it helps a lot to 'explore' a new area and just... Exercise :).

Sounds interesting, we are there Dec through Jan.
Ray

felinefine81 wrote:

No

matm911 wrote:
felinefine81 wrote:

I doubt it's a good idea to come to Gozo at this time of the year .. and this on a weekend  :unsure
I mean Gozo is amazing, really recommendable from October to June ... but July and August ... no, that's not my idea of relaxation  :P

Best to avoid the fortnight around Santa Maria but otherwise it is much quieter on Gozo than Malta at any time of year.
It is a shame the Tourist Authority encourage Maltese to come here as they do very little for the economy of Gozo, bringing most of their food and drink with them and stay in cheap accommodation which they  then pack as many people as possible into. It does nothing for the countries economy, that needs foreign tourists bringing money into the country.
All that the average Gozitan benefits from is noise and rubbish!

Ray

Totally agreed regarding spending the summers elsewhere in Europe if possible. Luckily I work from home (computer) and I am from colder part of Europe, so I come here for the summer, enjoy lots of nature, cooler weather, less noise and traffic, and totally relax all summer long. Will be back in September and can't wait because I know most of tourists and crowds will be gone soon, weather will cool down and becoming months will be enjoyable. That's about the only way I can make living in Malta work, without that option I could not do it, could not.

Don't beat yourself up too much. It's not your fault that some shit is happening at work.

The noise here can be really something....My dark sense of humor helps a lot in Malta:)

I hope that everything will get better soon in your life.

the noise is a big issue, i think the government were supposed to bring in some legislations but it doesnt seem to happen. my next door neighbour is building an extension and work starts at around 715am every morning, their isnt alot we can do. But, i have been here 8 years now and you do get used to that sort of thing

They did bring in legislation, it allows for building work to start at 7 and not earlier. 8 on Saturdays and not at all on Sundays or holiday.

If they start earlier the cops will have a chat with them - well they did in my case.

The fireworks are at times annoying, shaking windows in the evening, they should move the festa outside urban center...

raun cesar wrote:

The fireworks are at times annoying, shaking windows in the evening, they should move the festa outside urban center...

Your profile says you live in LA so I would not have thought they would bother you too much, except the extra loud ones!

Ray