Sports in Belgium

Hello everyone,

The Olympic Games are now just a few days away and we would like to talk about sports.

What sports are the most popular and/or unusual in Belgium?

Are sports facilities easily accessible there? Where and how can one find sports clubs in the region?

Are there sports events regularly held in the country?

And you? What is your favourite sport? Which one(s) do you practice in Belgium?

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Badminton is such a famous sport in Belgium and we play regularly in Lueven at the KULeuven Gym facilities.  There are more than 30 people that regularly show up on Sundays and we also play on weekdays.  There is an ample mix of Chinese. Belgian and other asian players.  During the school year, there are sessions for beginners and Advanced players at KU Leuven. We play almost everyday....

I take part in Audax events, which is an organisation based in Paris, with regional "offices" in the UK, Holland, Italy and France of course. They are long distance cycle rides, normally 200,300 or 400kms for the day and sometimes over 3 days (1200 in total). randonneurs.be for more info. €5 to enter payable on the day.

As my colleagues commented on sections above that badminton is one of the most well known sports in Belgium plus cycling, for me my favorite sport is swimming since I used to be a competitive swimmer few years ago but I lost shape so it is time to get back on track

We run a small squash club, the "Monday Gang", at SportCity in Woluwe-Saint-Pierre. We play Monday nights from 7 - 9pm on 6 courts all year round. Not for beginners, juveniles or overqualified players, but nice people who occasionally have a drink or two with us and like to discuss various subjects afterwards. Interested? Send a mail to xxx for further details.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You may exchange them via the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi everyone,

thank you very much for your feedbacks on the topic.

@ Helga, maybe you could add your club in the business directory along with the contact details : Sports activities in Belgium ? Members will find it easy and those who have not read this thread will also benefit from your inputs.

Thanks in advance,
Bhavna

Hi Priscilla,

I practice two martial arts (Karate and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and I have noticed martial arts is quite popular in Belgium, especially Judo. 

I practice Brazilian Jiu Jiitsu in Leuven.  I sometimes have class in Sportoase, which is the sports facility for the KU Leuven students.  It also has a swimming pool, a cafe, and a place for kids to play.  I believe it is easily accessible.  Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is not that popular yet, but I think it is a very good sport for self-defense.

For Karate, I drive an hour from Brussels for my practice, which is a bit inconvenient, but I think it is worth it if one is a professional athlete and wants to practice.  There are also other Karate and martial arts places in Belgium.  Leuven seems to be the main area to do sports which are easily accessible.

Field hockey is also very popular in Belgium, and there are clubs in many places, but they are sometimes just outside of a city.