ghosts or scams in the education market

Hello, everyone. I wonder if you can help me solve a little mystery. I applied as an ESL consultant to an organization called timetoteach, whose email address shares the Ecuadorian Ministry of Education's domain ( … ador-pro…/). In late May, Edificar Fundadacion initiated communication with me, saying THEY had my documents and thanking me for my interest in timetoteach! But when I search Edificar online there is nothing at all, no address, no phone number, no press release or news article. They say a website is being designed, but as they say they are recruiting volunteer teachers for the Millenium schools (100 now in the Quito and Highlands, 600 in the future in Ecuador), wouldn't there be something? HAS ANYONE HEARD OF EDIFICAR FUNDADACION? Should I be concerned? What can I do to dispel my hesitation? Am I seeing ghosts?

timetoteach said their "mission" was to improve the quality of ESL teaching in PUBLIC schools, whereas Edificar is telling me they recruit for both public and private schools.

Did you send any money?

No, I didn't send any money.  Edificar says they will apply for the Visa on my behalf.  In my only other foreign job (in China) I had to sign a contract before the Work Visa was issued.  The gov't used the contract to validate the need for the work visa.  There is no contract yet.

Fundación Edificar has a presence on Facebook - but it is an organization based in Colombia.

They do have a web page under construction, but again this is the Colombia organization:

I was able to find some documentation on the Ecuador government site about Time to Teach that may give you more information: … mit=Buscar

Certainly I would proceed with caution to determine if this is legitimate.

Hi, Loisb

There are few "lucrative" positions in Central or S. American countries. Most institutions lack employment website links.  Many of these countries will accept "backpackers" (i.e., native speakers with no MA/TESOL or Applied LInguistics or for public school, a professional teaching license and B.Ed. with TESOL endorsement), hence the low-ball pay - $5/hour.

Glad you didn't send any money! If you have any questions about the legitimacy of a job, visit and navigate to the Latin America forum and PM a poster named "Mother F" who is in the know. Also, Heed the sage advice of Osage Archer as well. Best to be on the ground for job seeking. Wish you well.

Questions and answers about the labor market

Ask your question
Your best business development ideas in Ecuador
By Priscilla
Egytian Mechanical Engineer want work in Ecuador
By mohamedbatisha
Part time and full time job
By maury23
Volunteering in Quito
By AnnaNorway
Looking for a job
By Cristiane26
job vacancy for Physiotherapist
By Sinil

Expatriate health insurance in Ecuador

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ecuador

Moving to Ecuador

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ecuador

Travel insurance in Ecuador

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ecuador

Flights to Ecuador

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ecuador