Close

What about jobs in Ecuador? What is an estimated average salary?

:DHi! few friends of mine are thinking about moving to Ecuador and was wondering:

1) Are jobs easier to find?
2) What can they expect to earn? monthly?
3) Is it safe?

Need everyone's help getting positives and negatives.

Thanks,

I don't feel like jobs are easy to find. You can find English teaching jobs, but if you don't speak Spanish, then that's about it, it seems. The minimum wage here is around $300 a month. (However, you can make more teaching English- it just depends where).
I feel safe here- it depends on where you live.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Amy! This tells me that I must speak Spanish in order to find a decent job? Is it possible to make around $3,000/month?

Doing what? A doctor maybe?
When I worked at a private International school (teaching English), I made $2,000 a month (which is a lot here)- then worked at a university for $1,000 a month- then I've had job offers now anywhere from $700 a month- $1,500 a month. I've been looking for a job since December.

This tells me that I have better chances teaching english then working for someone else for anything less then $1,000/mth. hmmm

You have been an excellent help. :D

alguien me podria informar sobre la posivilidad de encontrar trabajo en la constrccion en chile o peru

no tienen ni idea sobre eso. tratar de hacer una búsqueda en Chile o en el enlace de Perú

Hello paco san,

You should please write in English in this English speaking forum.

Thank you,
Expat.com team

lo siento no domino el ingles

Hi paco san !

Please note that you can use the Spanish speaking forum.

Regards
Armand

gracias Armand

If your in IT you can work from anywhere for anyone. That's what I plan on doing. Maybe some journalism or something like that if you can find some one that likes your wor

Take what you make in the U.S. and divide by 5 = Ecuador.

Like many countries, in my opinion Ecuador is best for those that have earned and saved elsewhere and not those Westerners dependent on trying to earn a living here.

Okay, before everyone jumps on me, all you web designers, IT consultants and internet based businesses that are physically outside the U.S. but have their customers in the U.S. I am not talking to you.  I am talking about the nurses, teachers, lawyers, doctors, engineers, electricians, welders, carpenters, etc. thinking that they can find a job in Ecuador that pays something close to what they make in Canada or the U.S.

Thanks Saw Man! for your valuable advise. I will definitely look into the options, but as for information that you have given is the same that I have gathered from other blogs as well.

Much appreciated.

I think Sawman put the needle on the record.  I have been frequenting forums all over S. America and this sounds like the general consensus.

So, out of curiosity, how much would someone need to be able to live well, if they did not have an income from any source (ie. pension, social security, etc.). 

If you had $250,000 in cash, I imagine you could buy a decent home and find odd jobs to make enough to pay for food, clothing, bills, etc, no?

Keep in mind when considering living in Ecuador and having to support yourself or family with a Job or continued career, you must consider what the difference in your current expenses will be.

Here is a great website where you can look up most of the major destinations in Ecuador and look at basic expenses.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ry=Ecuador

You will need to weigh in on your own current situation (how much you have saved, the life style you want to live), then decide if the adjusted income here for your profession will meet your needs.

Ultimately speaking Spanish HELPS, but may not be necessary if you are Teaching English (with TESOL certification), in Travel and Tourism and catering to English speaking customers, or in a virtual environment (work from anywhere on the computer).

I personally prefer to learn and speak Spanish because I live in Ecuador, and that is the native language here.  To me I feel rude trying to communicate with locals in English.  I am in THEIR country.  I would expect the same if they were in mine.

Mike

hi,,, can any one tell me what is per hour rate for a welder or pipefitter in ecuador?    please help,,,

The average pay for a welder in Ecuador is $12,900. (jobmarket.advisor4u.com)

The MEDIAN pay for a "welder, solderer, braser" in the U.S. manufacturing sector is $44,000.
(careersinwelding.com)

I would like to know the availability of work for first class steamfitter/pipefitter  and welders in Ecuador. My wife and I are planning to move there when our home and business sells.

Ecuador is having a financial/budget crisis brought on by the big drop in oil prices.

This means, more than ever, that Ecuadorian businesses will follow the line and give first shot on any jobs to Ecuadorian nationals.

Speaking fluent Spanish is a routine requirement to find work in Ecuador, and your specialties are no exceptions.

Ecuador welcomes retiree/investors, pensioners and certain Expats with skills in highest demand, such as medical professionals with Spanish language skills.

How's your español?

cccmedia in Quito

Am a male  nurse from india , and plan to relocated to Ecuador... Is it possible to get rn easily???..Let me know basic salary for nurses...

sherinfrancis88 :

Am a male  nurse from india , and plan to relocated to Ecuador... Is it possible to get rn easily?

Expats arriving here with no contacts and less-than-fluent Spanish have little chance, even though Ecuador needs doctors and nurses.

Ecuador welcomes retirees with money to spend, 25K for investing, and diplomas on the acceptable university list who actually plan to work.

However, the policy is to give preference to Spanish-language native speakers and Ecuadorian nationals over Expats.

cccmedia in Quito

Hi good morning my name is Rajesh and I'm from India I have been looking for a job opportunity in Ecuador but I couldn't find it can you please find any other way to get into job and PR holder.

Thank you

Rajesh marineni :

my name is Rajesh and I'm from India.... can you please find any other way to get into job and PR holder.

Please re-read Report 22 above.

If you have no fluency or skills -- and you certainly didn’t mention any in this post -- Ecuador will not be a good fit for you as a job-seeker.

The economy has been rough for a couple of years and they’re not looking to give jobs to unskilled foreigners.

cccmedia in Quito

I would like to volunteer in EC. I am a retired teacher. 
Can I work in the schools (for free) and help teach students English while they help me with my Spanish?  I could meet more people and learn more about the culture, too.

Also I worked with students that had special needs.  I would be happy to help them when I could or as they want me to do so.

Robin

Hi sir/madam good evening My name is Rajesh and I am from India, I have been staying in Ecuador from the past 6months and I'm a PR holder of Ecuador. I have finished M.B.A holding with two years of experience and I'm looking for a job here and I would like to teach with your help because I do not know much Spanish if you find any school to teach can you please refer me.

Regards
Rajesh

Moderated by Priscilla 3 days ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Good evening everyone my name is Rajesh  and I have finished M.B.A, can I find any in Ecuador as I do not know Spanish.

RobinJoel :

I would like to volunteer in EC. I am a retired teacher. 
Can I work in the schools (for free) and help teach students English while they help me with my Spanish?

Most of this is doable.

I meet Expat volunteer teachers here in Quito from time to time.   This week at a gathering of Expats at the Marriott, I met a 'retired' English teacher from Tampa, Florida.  She grew up in a bilingual family.  She said she teaches young kids at a school in Quito as a volunteer.

Google:  Ecuador volunteer teachers .. to get started.

You might start with one-way English teaching .. and as you get to know teachers, students and the culture of the school, seek some Spanish learning for yourself.

cccmedia in Quito

Expatriate health insurance in Ecuador

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ecuador

Moving to Ecuador

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ecuador

Travel insurance in Ecuador

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ecuador

Flights to Ecuador

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ecuador