Business Opportunities for foreign investors in Ecuador

I am a student at Washington State Univeristy looking for some firsthand information regarding business opportunities in Ecuador and this specific region of South America in general. I would greatly appreciate if I could have a couple short questions answered by someone with some expertise in international business, or this specific area of interest.

Q: What are some common cultural understandings that an American businesswoman (in the case of my assignment it is regarding a businesswoman traveling to Ecuador) must have in order to be successful in this region?

Q: What are some of the best business opportunites that can be pursued by foreign investors in Ecuador (or the ADALI region of South America)?

Q: What are some other need-to-know facts that one should be aware of before traveling to this region (i.e. political, health, safety concerns, etc.)?

If any of these questions could be answered it would greatly help me in my studies. Thank you for your time and effort!

Hello,

I hope that I can help to answer a few of your questions.

As far as a woman traveling to Ecuador for business, there isn't anything that out of the ordinary in Ecuador.  Women are respected and definitely welcome, especially as potential foreign investors.  There are a few things to remember when conducting business in South America.  It would be a good idea to be punctual for your meeting, but do not expect the person you are meeting to be right on time.  It is part of the culture in Ecuador to be 'fashionably late'; however, I think its a way for business people to express their 'importance'.

In Ecuador energy and agriculture are very big.  However, these markets have already been taken over for years.  There is still a need or opportunities for expansion in the communications sector, as well as social welfare opportunities.  I do not know a lot of specifics, but with a little research that should be easy for you to find.

You should not have any major concerns in Ecuador, or anything that isn't a normal hazard when traveling to any foreign country.  If you are traveling around from place to place keep your passport with you because you could be stopped and checked.  Also, avoid places near the border that Ecuador shares with Columbia, as there is turmoil among that region.  Avoid places that look unsafe, as well as walking the streets at night.  Most of this is common sense of what to look out for in an unfamiliar place.

I hope some of this information will help you in your studies!

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]