Operate a small charter fishing

Good Day,

I'm new to the blog and have some questions about Salinas living.
My plan is to retire from the printing business,move to Salinas and operate a small charter fishing
and Scuba diving business. I'm not wanting to work at it full time, just enough to have fun
and not have it turn into a job.
  Does Salinas have enough of a tourist base to support fishing and scuba charters?
Does anyone know where I could find info on these types of opportunities.

Thanks,

Jim

Hello there,

If you want to start a small business contact Manta sos guide google it and ask them for a piece of advise, I know there is a place its called Puerto Lopez and they do that kind of activities, they are actually well known by whale watching tours

Take care

Hey Jim,

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out.  I'm interested in doing the very same thing.  I'm retiring from the USAF next July.

Thanks,
Ray

Are you bringing to Ecuador your own boat or do yo need to buy one here?

Cheers

For me it would depend on purchasing cost in Ecuador.  If too expensive (much more than the US) I would buy one on the pacific or Gulf Coast. Or I could just be Jim's first mate. :D 

Thanks,
Ray

Hola Jim, soy profesor de turismo en España
Se me hace extraño, pero desde aquí hay gran interés en el desarrollo de este sector en tu país de origen, sin embargo me da la impresión que la costa del pacífico sigue siendo desconocida para negocios de este tipo. ¿puedes darme tu impresión?
salu2

Salias already has several sport fishing and diving charter boat operators. And there are PLENTY of tourists who go to Salinas. You can find more information about Salinas and charter operators here:

Charter Boat Operators in Ecuador

Cheers

Hi PedroSR,

Please can you post in English on the Anglophone forum, so that other members can read an participate. :)

Thank you,

David.

Chuckee,

Those links are to sites that charge the same if not more for charters than what I would pay in the US.  With the cost of fuel and bait in Ecuador being cheaper I don't understand that.  I don't know about Jim and I'm not trying to Hijack his thread but I'll be doing it for fun and a way to keep myself busy not for income or profiteering.

Good luck to you,

Given your less than "greedy" objectives, I would expect you're elated to find that your competition is "over-priced". 

On the other hand, perhaps there are some income/excise tax and/or other financial issues that you're not aware of ... 

As with most economic issues confronting "new" expats, you might want to budget a few "abogado dolares" for some local legal advice before plunking down some serious coin for a charter vessel.

Carlos   aka  "ElGringoBueno"

PS  Although I might want to pass on your "maiden voyage" :proud I would be happy to patronize your hobby business.  Me gusta el atun ...  (I like tuna)

Gringo,

I retire from the USAF in 10 months, then my wife and I are going to tour Ecuador for 3-4 months.  I'll be checking into all the ins and outs of bringing my own boat (or buying one) and hidden expenses.  Regardless if I have a business or not, I will have a boat...and I will scuba dive and fish with whoever is willing to go and split costs.  Don't be scared it won't be named the S.S. Minnow.

When we moved to England 2 yrs ago we had to sell our boat. :( Living without one is difficult! Thanks for all the info.

All the Best,
Ray

Hey, if Ginger is aboard, I'm packin' my gear and ready to sail ... :par:

Carlos   

PS  One of the most interesting and impressive people I've ever met was a former "Thunderbird" (R.I.P. Tom Weiler) who had me laughing my head off when he remarked how much he liked the food while stationed in England.

Turns out he was referring to the mess hall ... :D

Ray,

Let us know when you get your fishing/scuba operation running in Salinas and we will give you a feature post on Your Escape to Ecuador.

We are always looking for new and different business ideas to review and feature on our site.

Cheers,
Your Escape to Ecuador

Raygeo wrote:

and I will scuba dive and fish with whoever is willing to go and split costs.

I will take you up on the scuba -- I will need a diving partner when I get there (I'm just a beginner, though).

Bob

Ray,

Did anything work out for you in South America?
Thanks

Had some similar ideas as you?

Let me know

Thanks,

Paul