Walking/Pavements

'Staying in Balzan at the moment, it feels a bit claustrophobic.'

Oh that is going to happen wherever you live :). I was in Malta a few months before I left the island and vsited Spain. Now I need to leave every 4-6 weeks or I go bat shit crazy, lol!!
If I had to drive there I'd be in a mental institute by now, but a scooter might be ok for commuting. Too bad more people don't ride them as opposed to cars.
I live in Sliema because that's where my mum has a flat, but I've figured out the key to combatting 'green withdrawal' is to make periodic visits to my brother who lives in England.
I know a couple people who live in Rabat and really like it (foreigners and Maltese). It's pretty easy to get to most places from there.

this is statistic, for example I have registered 2 cars and 2 motorcycles on my name, but usually 3 out of 4 stay in the garage  :)

Thanks everyone. So we've been out and a bit and agree most places are just the same for walking!

I like Naxxar but the right property just isn't available. Damn moving at high season! The same applies to Rabat and Zebbug.

So, we've decided to take a place in Balzan for now because it's at the end of a culdesac, almost new, high finish, decent views and we don't see anything better for the money.

It's a short walk to the band club, a few shops and restaurants & San Anton Gardens plus it's the shortest drive/bus to work.

We managed to get a 6mth contract and heavily negotiated the price. So we can spend the next 6mths taking our time to explore the island and then, if we want, move somewhere at the end of the contract. At least then it's winter season.

Thanks for all your input, I can't tell you how helpful it has been. Now we can enjoy the rest of my time off before I start work! Starting with the jazz festival in Valletta tonight and a very large glass of wine 🍷🍷

Thanks again :)

Glad you've got something sorted. Enjoy your evening out!

Confession- we didn't make it to the Jazz Festival. It was too hot, we were too relaxed for the first time... I poured a large gin, watched the sun set and then really couldn't face getting on a bus! Oh well, there's always next year!

San Anton is a lovely place to have in your neighbourhood! Good choice.

Naxxar is a lovely place to live.

To give you some idea of cost. We have just imported my wife's car to Malta and took out full comprehensive insurance cover with any drive  over 25 and it includes full breakdown cover.

Cost in UK £540 with one named driver no breakdown and we've been with the same company (co.op) for over 10 years with 85% no claims...Malta £165

terryvanman wrote:

To give you some idea of cost. We have just imported my wife's car to Malta and took out full comprehensive insurance cover with any drive  over 25 and it includes full breakdown cover.

Cost in UK GBP540 with one named driver no breakdown and we've been with the same company (co.op) for over 10 years with 85% no claims...Malta GBP165

Mind sharing who that is with? our premiums are WAY WAY out of that ballpark.

For me newish car 3 years old worth around EUR18000, single 40 y/o old named driver with 7+ years no claims annual comprehensive insurance is EUR800