Your new local habits in Vanuatu

Hello everyone,

Living in Vanuatu is a great way to immerse in a new culture and lifestyle.

Have you embraced local customs since you've lived in Vanuatu? If so, which one(s)?

Did local customs change the way you see things, appreciate life or organize your daily routines? As far as the language is concerned, did you learn new expressions or words and do you use them?

What do you like most about the lifestyle in your host country? Are there any local specificities you are still struggling with?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

As good or as bad as may sound, off hand I can't think of any local customs that we have adopted. In regards to the way we see things, it has made us realize just how much we have, that most of the Ni Van people don't have. It saddens us that in 2016 a fair # of the population cannot read or write, that distresses us. After saying that, the Ni Van people are happy, nothing much fazes them.
As far as bis lama goes, I must confess we are totally useless. We get totally confused with the blongs and yummies. I guess one has to understand what words mean, before they can use them. We have not worked that out yet. These things take time :-) :-).
What do we most like about the lifestyle in Vanuatu? why, the weather of course, living 10 metres from high tide, the fruit, the beef. Not being hassled by hawkers when walking down the street.
What we are alarmed about is the increase of vehicles pouring into the country. The roads are not suitable for such an increase of traffic.
Our other concern is, there are no tsunami sirens, this should be top priority. Do hundreds have to drown (as per the 2004 tsunami) before sirens are in place?

HOTRS. Imagine what it used to be like 40-50 years ago! A friend of mine began collecting some old stories - now abandoned because of illness, unfortunately.
http://neilbegley.com.au/stories/

Hi Gordon,
We think we met Neil and his wife on a cruise fairly recently. We sat with them at dinner. Regrettably we didn't have long to chat to them, as they wanted to go to a show. We looked out for them over the next few days, to no avail. If you know him, and you are talking to him, could you ask if he remembers our natter, please? Lovely couple, so we are very sad to hear he's ill.