Suicide, Safety and Summer

First off, I would like to wish everyone a safe and fun summer.
( my play on the big 3 S's)
I just have a few thoughts on safety in Hungary.
If anyone has any similar experiences, it would be interesting to hear about.
First suicide, sort of a strange and sad situation, a women in our house did herself in a couple days ago. Seems her heavy drinking wasn't doing the job fast enough so she took pills.
In her early 60's, a widow living alone and had been working 2 jobs to keep herself going.
Noticed many of her family and her children coming over after the ambulance drivers took her away, wonder where they all were when she was down and doing herself in.

Safety, we went swimming at a outside pool yesterday, we always enjoy the water and the beautiful setting with fresh grass and trees.
2 years ago a little girl aged 8 drowned in that very pool, the first time we ever visited that pool.
I was on one hand very glad to see that besides their new construction going on( all to increase business and to raise swimming prices in the future no doubt) they had redone the deep water pool put up a new barrier so that the shallow area was not flowing into the deep water side.
Give them credit for that plus they posted in both HU and Eng. warning signs for no jumping.
Ok, old ex Girl Scout me, saw many things that did not mesh with their new image.
I was in the lap lane doing my thing and noticed in the lane i was sharing with a few others that there was a adult man in his 30's weighing in at a good 285 to 300 lbs, jumping, doing huge cannonball jumping into my swim lane.
He didn't just do this once but got out and repeated it at least a dozen times when I was there.
Very dangerous to other swimmers, he would kill anyone if he landed on top of them.
The lifeguard was making his rounds at the time I got out of the pool, I went to him and "squealed like a pig" told him the guy was dangerous and he was not following the posted signs.
The guard was nice, his English was poor so he asked others what I had said to him to be clear. He asked the "chubby jumper" and I had it, told the guard that he was the problem and I just walked away. The guard passed by me so I spoke to him again and he gave a lame answer, in the summer it is crazy but the winter it is easier?! What? The pool isn't even open in the winter!
I then went to the open air shower to rinse off, someone had left a empty champagne bottle in the shower stall on the wet, slippery tiles.
I tossed it away.
Really though? How dangerous does it have to be before someone notices in Hungary?
Just be careful out there people, things are not exactly up to code that many of us are used to and take for granted.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

The guard was nice, his English was poor so he asked others what I had said to him to be clear. He asked the "chubby jumper" and I had it, told the guard that he was the problem and I just walked away. The guard passed by me so I spoke to him again and he gave a lame answer, in the summer it is crazy but the winter it is easier?! What? The pool isn't even open in the winter!

From my experience, Hungarians generally avoid confrontation. Which means jerks get away with a lot since nobody will confront them.

And the locals alway have an excuse, for... literally... everything. Once when I asked for extra tomato sauce on a pizza. When it arrived it had barely any. I complained, and I was told the "garlic bleached it out". Needless to say, I never patronized that restaurant again (which, at no surprise to me, closed a few years later).

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Really though? How dangerous does it have to be before someone notices in Hungary?

Well, there was the red tide, and still nobody got punished (the judge in the case let all those potentially culpable all go free this year). And locally where I live, there were some people selling used gas tanks for house hold stoves that were not certified, and some ended up exploding and killing a few people, but nobody was prosecuted. A local mayor pretty clearly made fraudulent travel claims, his conviction was mostly overturned on appeal (and despite an independent review saying the local government office was essentially incompetent).

So, overall, it leaves one with the opinion that apparently nobody cares or gets punished for dangerous or illegal situations in Hungary.

You are on your own in Hungary. And do not expect EU consumer law to help you here either (I have personal experience on that one).

Justice in Hungary? Forget it.

This is the Wild "East".

Your have just scared the c*** outta me but yes, you are correct one is basically on their own here in HU.
My husband called HU the new "wild west" years ago, too bad he didn't patent that phrase since it is now used allot here, no other words would fit.

If you have not done so, read "Relations" (Rokonok in Hungarian) by Zsigmond Móricz. Published in 1932, and available in English.

It is a slow read, and can be a bit boring at times, but if you finish it, you will put it down and say... now I understand Hungary.

The themes in that book are still true today. All cultural. Which means they survived all political/economic structures including Fascism, Communism, and Capitalism. If the EU fails, it will not be because of a Brexit, but from a failure to understand local cultures like Hungary. People here do not necessarily think, or act, in an anglo-saxon way.

Then read "The Egyptian" by Mika Waltari. Not about Hungary at all, but a good study of human nature, personal psychology, power games, and politics, and in which you will find many parallels in today's news.

Dang, thanks for the info but seriously, if you say it was a slow read, I probably wouldn't make it to page 2.!!
Hungary at times does seem to be against it self from what I have experienced.
Like just yesterday at the pool.
When the "jumper" slashed a "fancy" Hungarian women all done up in makeup and perfect hairdo, she looked really annoyed , brushed the water off her skin but didn't address the idiot.
I swam to wards her and made a off the cuff remark," It's always the fat boys who splash" because I was speaking in English and older then her she sort of gave me a half smile but never said a word to the jerk who actually was being a pest.
Honestly he didn't do much to bother me other then make me look at him, that was a bit of a tortue, thank goodness he was not wearing a Speedo at the time!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Dang, thanks for the info but seriously, if you say it was a slow read, I probably wouldn't make it to page 2.

Well, if possible, one may try to find it on "books on tape" (and I realize I am dating myself by using the word "tape"), and listen to it by the pool instead.  :)

I will look for a digital copy, as most e-readers these days can "read" the book to you as well.

The Egyptian is a bit more of a "can't put it down" type of book. So maybe start with that one.  ;)