The Fortunate Islands

I am an old git, who first came to the Canary Island of Gran Canaria, in the spring of 1962.

I arrived from Trinidad in the Caribbean on a Shell oil tanker called Achatina, laden with black gold for Las Palmas, and that short visit started my love affair with this beautiful archipelago.

I have visited all the larger islands including Graciosa, all the islands are different, all have their own character and all are well worth a visit.

I live on the smallest and most south westerly isle of El Hierro, here time has stood still, the people still smile and say hello,the young ones are polite and still respect their elders. The tourism boom that the other islands have enjoyed, has passed us by, and we have therefor retained our Herreño culture and charm. Crime is virtually unknown here, people leave their wallets keys and those awful mobile telephones on the bar, whilst they go outside for a smoke. Motor cars are left with the engines running while the driver pops into the supermarket. Very few buildings have those "Prison bars", on the windows, and many don't seem to lock their doors.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.I'm an old British git who is very surprised to hear a non native English speaker to use "Git", and equally pleased you're having a great time in your chosen country.
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome Fred, I am a citizen of Spain, but English is my first language.

Now I'm discombobulated, perhaps even flabbergasted.
I'm also curious as to why that would be.

Perhaps you have eaten too much Nasi Goreng.

English by birth but because I have lived here a long time, those nice Spanish people in Madrid decided I should have  Spanish nationality.

Boseley wrote:

Perhaps you have eaten too much Nasi Goreng.

English by birth but because I have lived here a long time, those nice Spanish people in Madrid decided I should have  Spanish nationality.

I rather like my chosen country too, so I'm also going for the full monty (Not the Sheffield version)

Yet another old git here....Boseley you do sound content... well done old chap.
I've just retired and loving every minute in Cordoba. The locals even laid on a bush fire today just for my entertainment.  There are not many expats living here so, being a birdwatcher,  I content myself with talking to a friendly blackbird - we have some great conversations.
I met Fred in a previous Fred (sorry thread) he is always right bless him and has just introduced me to Nasi Goreng (which I had to Google). Being a vegetarian I might try this dish. I have been partial to the odd Indonesian dish in the past.
So welcome indeed, life on your island does sound idyllic,
Best wishes to both and remember..... 'Always look on the bright side of life....'

All the old gits are together in this thread :D

It's really nice to see positive expats around, ones who have embraced their new country and go with the flow.

Hi
My name is Theo and I am Greek. My son is about to move to Santa Cruz de la Palma as part of a European project. It is about voluntary work for about 10 months. I was searching the web for some info considering life in Santa Cruz de la Palma and i came across some of your posts in this forum so I thought it might be a good idea to ask you some questions as you seem to know a lot about life on the island.
Particularly, I would like to know:
1.  how reliable and easy is internet connection and what is the cost of it
2. if there is a public library in the city

thank you
Theo Blak