Is it just me or are real estate agents "absent"?

I've been trying to contact a few agents, I got acknowledgement for the emails/messages with an answer that they'd get back to me with a different options, and then weeks pass and nothing!

Is it a "Malta thing"?

Hello GSoupi :cheers:

Maybe you would want to contact professionals recommended in our business directory:

> Real estate in Malta

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Thank you Kenjee! Will give them a shot!

GSoupi wrote:

I've been trying to contact a few agents, I got acknowledgement for the emails/messages with an answer that they'd get back to me with a different options, and then weeks pass and nothing!

Is it a "Malta thing"?

You are wasting your time trying to contact agents outside of Malta, you need to be here in
person.

GozoMo wrote:
GSoupi wrote:

Is it a "Malta thing"?

You are wasting your time trying to contact agents outside of Malta, you need to be here in
person.

Not always. Depends on agent.

GSoupi wrote:

Is it a "Malta thing"?

It is a Malta thing and you will be very lucky to get a reply when you are not in the country.
You will be quite lucky to get a reply even when you are here!
Last time we moved from one property to another here I contacted 5 agents and only two replied!

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
GSoupi wrote:

Is it a "Malta thing"?

It is a Malta thing and you will be very lucky to get a reply when you are not in the country.
You will be quite lucky to get a reply even when you are here!
Last time we moved from one property to another here I contacted 5 agents and only two replied!

Ray

True. But when you find a good agent - you're golden. In Gozo for example pretty much every agent has access to the exact same properties (if they feel motivated enough heh)... so yea.

We once viewed the same property (penthouse in Xaghra) with three different agents. It was hilarious because Dhalia got the lowest price for us, one other agent quoted about 40 euro/month more and during the final viewing a yet different agent brought the landlord with him and asked us for about 160/month more than advertised (and about 200 more than what Dhalia agreed to with the landlord after some negotiation)! Apparently he had a lot of interest in the property hahaha.

It was all really weird.

Edit: basically we got quotes in the 320-520/month range. Same property. The asking price was around 360/month I think.

In general it's not easy to get a reply here on messages or emails. telephone calls are preferred. Don't know why ...

Yes. They try to minimize the time invested in any given property or client. They know that if they respond to people who aren't here yet, they are likely wasting their time.

Have you tried contacting owners directly through No Agents Please?

kateblank wrote:

Have you tried contacting owners directly through No Agents Please?

Oh yes, we've tried this, but this takes a lot of patience ... a lot ...

sent you a message

YES.
emails will generally be ignored and you hardly get a reply. I have learned. It is in deed a "Malta thing".
Many companies have lost me as a customer by not replying or not following up on requests. Also see - bad customer service.

Quicklets have been following up (an email or two per week to notify me that they are still searching and unfortunately nothing available within my budget), Frank Salt agency called up and set an appointment for a few visits when I get to Malta. The rest are absent!