Insurance coverage in Hong Kong

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad requires adequate insurance coverage.

What type of insurance expatriates need the most in Hong Kong: health, house or liability insurance? All of them? Do they come as a package?

Are there other insurance options to consider like critical illness, damage or property insurance?

Is it better to purchase insurance from an expat insurance specialist or from a local insurance provider?

And what about insurance costs?

Tell us about your experience in Hong Kong.



Hi Kenjee you would require expatriate specialist insurance as local insurance is as it says just for locals. Expat mortality tables are different in that we tend to party more and smoke a bit more so it is more expensive. Also this will cover you if you are going to live in a different country so no need to arrange new insurance in each different country. One policy covers all so to speak. I would advise critical illness to be added to your life policy. You would probably require health insurance also if you want better cover than standard. As for home insurance you would generally only have contacts cover if you are renting and some people dont bother with that if you really only have furniture and electrical items.

New topic