Living in Hong Kong

Hi,

I have heard it's easier for europeans to live in HK than in the rest of China. Do you think Hong Kong can be a good "bridge" to China?

Thanks for your replies,

Julien

Assurèment .Spécialement si vous n'hésitez pas a vous engagé dans des activites ou vous avez l'occasion de decouvrir les natifs de Hong Kong. Meme si la langue est quelques fois ou bien souvent :-) une barrière, après plus de 10 ans à cotoyer Parents etudiants voisins et autres bénévoles d' Hong Kong je peux vraiment témoigner que les chinois a H.K. sont très ouverts, chaleureux, accueillants. Très intéressés à la culture Francaise ils adorent introduire les expats à leur propre culture. J'ai toujour penser que le plus important c'etait pas ou l'on vie mais avec qui; tout est a propos de relation et de communication non? Le passage entre H.K. et "Mainland china" sera toujour un peu plus dur car à moins que vous soyez entièrement entouré d'expats, apprendre un peu de mandarin pour rester plus longuement en chine vous serez très utile; beaucoup de mes amis disent combien les chinois apprécient énormement quand on esssaye de parler leur langue.Très facile pour vous à H.K. de trouvez un etudiant pour vous aider à pratiquer ou à apprendre quelques bases.  Bonne chance
M.A.

Hong Kong is the PERFECT bridge to the mainland. They don't call Hong Kong "China Light" for nothing.

After 5 years in China - i can assure you Hong Kong life is like a walk in the park!

Happy to answer any specific q's you may have!

Hi !

I'm sorry to ask you that but i would like to live in HKKG and i don't know how to begin my research.

Can you help me for my new life  in Hong Kong ??? :):)

Thank You !!!!!!!!!!

Hi Solène,
Welcome to Hong kong
What research you need here in Hong Kong?
May be  I can assist...
Good luck.
Leo
p.s. I was born in Hong Kong and working between Hong Kong and Soth China for 20 years already

hong kong is more civilized, clean, and people are more polite than in mainland china...and most of the people in hk can speak english... while not in mainland genearlly...

Hi Julien,
It's true that European People can fit in Hong Kong life
more easier than Mainland China. Why?

Just think about London life of which Hong Kong has copied and also developed quite simular way, the so call "British rules".
As Hong Kong has adopted Bilingual policy, thus all road and street signs are written both English and Chinese. Young People are able to communicate with foreign people except some aged Chinese whom had moved from Mainland China in 1949 and late 1960.
TV and radio provide English Channels currently and almost all kinds of international magazines and printings can be found here in Hong Kong.

Living standard is so far are reasonable for Europeans, not as expensive like London or Zurich and Frankfurt. One can find
quite cheap foodstuffs and daily necessities from the super markets and the food markets. Like a set menu of fish burger and fries plus one drink from Macdonald Restaurant charges US$3/set.

Day and night markets sell stuffs from US$0.20/pc of some fruits, snakes, and till US$30 for some decorations like Ties, blue-jeans and T-shirts or even some brand copied clothes or watches and electonic products. (qualities are medium to low, of course)
Moreover, Hong Kong is a tax free (No V.A.T.) place. It means
you are required to pay no tax at all. (Indeed, we still have the tax for luxury goods like motors and oil and tabacco yet.)
That's why Hong Kong still reserves the name of "The Shopping Paradise in Asia".

Like Charley 77 said "Hong Kong life is like a walk in the park!" because the crime rate is so low that has just won "the most safe city" among all cities in China last year.
Being a small city with 7.5 millions people living in result a
very high property costs and explain why the rental costs and the property market are so crazy in Hong Kong.

Transportations are well established and fees are inexpensive
for Western Europeans if you compare with Paris, Milano and London and other major cities in EEC.
For more general information about Hong Kong, you may click
the following link.
Cheers.
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.html

charley77 wrote:

After 5 years in China - i can assure you Hong Kong life is like a walk in the park!

Happy to answer any specific q's you may have!

Hi I ve seen that u r living for long time in China,we r planing to moove there with two kids 2 and 3 and a half yers old can u tel me please about life there how is it like,why many people sais that is dificult to live in China.we r planing to live in Fuzhou do u have  any clu about this town?
thank you in advance

I have always dreamed about Hong Kong and my next move is to HK
I will like to have friends from Hong Kong-its my dream land

Hey girls & guys , I'am moving to hong kong by the end of the month !! Hope we could meet to have a drink !! ;-)

progress wrote:

I have always dreamed about Hong Kong and my next move is to HK
I will like to have friends from Hong Kong-its my dream land

hello, i have read that you are interested in moving to Hong Kong? I am originally from Miami, Florida (USA). I have lived in South America (Peru), Europe (Spain) and Asia (Hong Kong and Singapore). What are you looking for in Hong Kong? Where are you from? Thanks JW.

hahagoodliving wrote:

Hi Julien,
It's true that European People can fit in Hong Kong life
more easier than Mainland China. Why?

Just think about London life of which Hong Kong has copied and also developed quite simular way, the so call "British rules".
As Hong Kong has adopted Bilingual policy, thus all road and street signs are written both English and Chinese. Young People are able to communicate with foreign people except some aged Chinese whom had moved from Mainland China in 1949 and late 1960.
TV and radio provide English Channels currently and almost all kinds of international magazines and printings can be found here in Hong Kong.

Living standard is so far are reasonable for Europeans, not as expensive like London or Zurich and Frankfurt. One can find
quite cheap foodstuffs and daily necessities from the super markets and the food markets. Like a set menu of fish burger and fries plus one drink from Macdonald Restaurant charges US$3/set.

Day and night markets sell stuffs from US$0.20/pc of some fruits, snakes, and till US$30 for some decorations like Ties, blue-jeans and T-shirts or even some brand copied clothes or watches and electonic products. (qualities are medium to low, of course)
Moreover, Hong Kong is a tax free (No V.A.T.) place. It means
you are required to pay no tax at all. (Indeed, we still have the tax for luxury goods like motors and oil and tabacco yet.)
That's why Hong Kong still reserves the name of "The Shopping Paradise in Asia".

Like Charley 77 said "Hong Kong life is like a walk in the park!" because the crime rate is so low that has just won "the most safe city" among all cities in China last year.
Being a small city with 7.5 millions people living in result a
very high property costs and explain why the rental costs and the property market are so crazy in Hong Kong.

Transportations are well established and fees are inexpensive
for Western Europeans if you compare with Paris, Milano and London and other major cities in EEC.
For more general information about Hong Kong, you may click
the following link.
Cheers.
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.html

Ok so Hong Kong has no tax but the prices are much higher in Hong Kong than it is in the United staes. My basketball which is made in China cost me 45 US dollars but the same exact ball costs me 55 US dollars in Hong Kong in a non tourist area. Yeah fish balls and weird over cooked fatty foods are cheap but i aint eating greasy week old food. Good resturants will cost you big time  a good steak, salad and wine will cost over 150 US dollars.