Best locations in Hong Kong

Hello,

Please, wwhat are the good locations to live in H.k for an expatriate?

Thanks,

Hello Adelaidée,

I hope you'll get some advice soon.

Melissa

easy answer would be Hong Kong Island which is a small place. If you can spend say 25K per month or up then Central, Soho, Mid Levels and even Wan Chai.But North point is good and not far away from the Expat watering holes.

Hi
I realise this is an old post, but the answer might be helpful for another traveller.

Where you live in HK really depends on where you work, if you have a family, the age of your kids, and whether they will be going to a specific school. You really need to consider what's important to you. Do you need lots of social activity? Do you need space (what limited space there is)? Are you happy with living centrally, close to the buzz but also pay a premium for it?
There are some really great areas close to the action in Central, and even Kennedy Town is very convenient, and a cool, up and coming area.
Then you can choose to live in expat enclaves like Discovery Bay, or try for a more rustic, out of town feel in areas like Sai Kung and surroundings.

I hope this helps!

As close to Paisano's as possible.

Hello, I am a student and next year I will spend a semester at the Polytechnic university of HK (and I would like after that find an internships/work experience for a whole year). Therefore I would like to know if I can find something close to the center into a shared flat/house for maximum HKD 5,500 ? (I don't want to be more than 4, and 2 will be the best.)

HKD5,500 at Hung Hom?  I would imagine that's almost impossible.  Since it's at an MTR stop, you might want to think about living farther away, commuting and paying a lot less on rent.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

HKD5,500 at Hung Hom?  I would imagine that's almost impossible.  Since it's at an MTR stop, you might want to think about living farther away, commuting and paying a lot less on rent.

I don't want to be alone, I know I will have to share it is not even possible? 4 students to shared a flat/house in HK (would be around 20,000/24000 / months then, even not possible?

Anything's possible, but apartments in Hong Kong are notoriously small.  With 4 people you'd need at least a 3 bedroom or 4 people who really enjoy each other's company.  A 4 bedroom in that neighbourhood could easily cost more than HKD20,000.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Anything's possible, but apartments in Hong Kong are notoriously small.  With 4 people you'd need at least a 3 bedroom or 4 people who really enjoy each other's company.  A 4 bedroom in that neighbourhood could easily cost more than HKD20,000.

Ok - because for the first semester I could have an accommodation from the university then if I find an internship/work experience I will need a shared flat. Do we have to be fare from the center (more than 20 minutes away from central (by MTR) to get something really cheaper?

The farther you go, the cheaper it gets.  More or less.

Your school is right on an MTR stop so if you find a place near another stop it can be a quick ride even if they're far apart on a map.