Retiring to live in Brazil

My decision to eventually live in Brazil, after retirement, was made in 1982. I had become acquainted with Brazil in 1976 as a result of an invitation to teach group psychotherapy methods to a large group of established psychiatrists and clinical psychologists. My teaching was associated with the Instituto Brasileiro de Analise Transaccional.

Between 1976 and 1986 I made more then 25 visits to Brazil, most of the time in São Paulo. Having lived many years in a Chicago suberb and being well-acquainted with New York, life in a large cosmopolitan city was comfortable.

I continued my medical private practice in California until 1988, planning the details for moving over a period of more than two years. The actual move was made in late 1988 while awaiting approval of my permanent visa - based on the relationship with my wife, a Brazilian.

Now, with more than 25 years of residence in Brazil, I am content with being here. I have a relatively large family of descendents, all living in the US. The internet permits me to maintain contact.

During my residence in Brazil, I have only may six visits to the US. I have traveled within Brazil. By the time I moved to Brazil, I had accumulated a large network of acquaintences. I rarely seek contact with American ex-pats though I do have a few close American friends.

Part of my comfort in moving to Brazil is that I have had an affinity for Latin cultures, as regards personal relationships, art and a less pressured lifestyle. While the political systems are markedly different from the US, they are an inheritance from the era of monarchs and indulgences. Things are changing, however.

It is my good fortune to still have my wits about me at age 92, and also enjoying good health. Life is good - living in a beach community in the Litoral Sul.

Congratulations!!!!  A great success story.

success story? where do you see success? I just see a guy that planned to retire outside the US... more of a choice than a success

Anyway, I understand your choice, i love South America too and would prefer to get retired here than in  typical retirement states like Florida :)

Bill Brazil:

Thank for your post?

Could you comment on the income tax situation for American retirees in Brazil?

Between US income taxes and Brazilian income taxes, what does it look like?

Thanks.

ndfansince53 wrote:

Bill Brazil:

Thank for your post?

Could you comment on the income tax situation for American retirees in Brazil?

Between US income taxes and Brazilian income taxes, what does it look like?

Thanks.

Hello ndfansince53 :cheers:

Why not create a new thread about your query so that the informations received can also benefit other members? :top:

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

I would create a new thread, if I knew how to. I am not very computer savvy.

I'd be grateful if you could do it under your name.

Thanks.
ndfansince53

ndfansince53 wrote:

I would create a new thread, if I knew how to. I am not very computer savvy.

Why don't you try clicking on the words in blue that read "create a new thread" in Kenjee's post?