Relocation agency/agent Rio

Hi everyone

I'm looking for a relocation agency to help me find a new apartment in Rio. I'm looking to either rent or buy as an investment.

Can anyone reccommend a company that they have used/know who is independent (i.e not working for the vendor and earning commission) and good at what they do?

Many thanks

James

Hi James,

By "relocation company" do you mean a company that actually facilitates relocating to a new country or are you actually just looking for a real estate agent? There is a big difference.

If you are just looking for a realtor and intend to buy or rent an apartment then you can check out www.lugarcerto.com.br and see various apartments, both for sale and rental, on their site.

In many cases you will actually end up dealing directly with the owner of the property, in others a realtor. Most of the listings have photos and all indicate the price.

If you intend to buy property of any kind in Brazil you need to have a CPF number, that is like a social security number, but here it is used for everything including your credit history. It can be applied for (by foreigners) at the Brazilian Consulate-General nearest them. You will also need some other form of identification, driver's license, ID card, passport, etc.

There is no restriction on foreigners owning property in Brazil, so don't worry about that. The real estate laws here are quite complex and there is also a law governing squatters rights, which gives anyone who has peacfully occupied a property for a period of five years, without intervention on the part of the owner, ownership of the property. So, you need to be very careful in all the details of the transaction. It is something that you would best let an experienced lawyer handle for you.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hi William

Thanks for replying to my post.

When I say relocation agent, I'm refering to a person or company who search the local market looking for the exact property you need. They contact different real estate agents and will choose a number of properties that are on the market and when I arrive in Rio they will take me around to these properties and help me to find somewhere. This will obviously save me time and energy and in return I pay them a fixed fee or a percentage of the value of the property.

James

Hello James,

I don't believe there are any such agencies in Rio, or anywhere in Brazil for that matter, since most of the expats coming to Brazil and buying or renting property have these details taken care of by the company they are going to work for here.

Realtors here in Brazil are more numerous here in Brazil than Pubs in England so trying to contact any of them directly would be nothing but headaches. Better stick with Lugar Certo and check out some places yourself. If you find anything interesting then enter into contact with who is handling the property. As a said, you really need to have a lawyer handle the details here whatever you do. Good luck apartment hunting.

Hello again James,

I stand corrected, after having received a rather terse private message from a new member.

I understand that there is at least ONE relocation agency in Brazil, which he works for. It is called Premium Survey and Relocation located in Santos - SP. They can be found at www.premiumsurveys.com.br/en/

Special thanks to Wagner Ramos for the information.

Cheers,

Thanks William

I have found several companies in the Rio area, but was hoping someone out there had used them and could give any advice.

James