Hi we are new members and 1st posting...

Hi we have never before used a forum and please forgive any mistakes made, re typing and spelling :)We are thinking of moving to Malta but we would not know where to start..searching for rental accommodation, bringing pets,work situation although we are semi retired living from investment funds we may need to top this up just a little, depending on the cost of living etc. We know Malta very well as have visited 8 times in the past,but have not been for the past 8yrs and a lot has changed with regards to EU situation. We would love to have feedback on how people made the move and how things are..we love Malta.

Thank you for all your help.

Spiders.:)

Hi Spiders,

Welcome to the forum.

Please check out previous posts ( last few months or even longer) as many of your questions have already been addressed.

Some of your questions would require more details to answer ( living from investment funds - need to top up? )

For residency without an EU pension you would certainly be required to prove your self-sufficiency and health insurance or entitlement in Malta.

We made the move two years ago and have experienced ups and downs -)))

Ricky

Thank you Ricky, we live in North Cyprus at the moment and like yourself have experienced ups and downs..We have lived here for nearly 4ys.and are settled very well,but we seem to hanker on our memories..Would we need to apply for some sort of residency as we do here each year.we would have proof of earnings but what amount would they require for a couple.we are a couple of year from our UK pension.

At the moment we manage financially although Mr Spider get work from time to time painting and maintenance.and this all helps.we would be bringing 2 dogs and 2 cats,as we did when we moved here, they would have all the requirements and would like to know if they would need to go into quarantine, here they now do home Q.but when we came over ours stayed for 3weeks.

Being British would we need to seek work permits.I am a counsellor and have just started using my skills here.

We rent a huge villa with pool for £300.per month. I am sure we would not find the same in Malta for that price.but if you could give an idea re rental prices, it would be a start.thanks.

Spider.:)

Hi Spider,

The income requirements for residency in Malta will be similar to what you know from Cyprus although I'm not sure about the requirements in North Cyprus.Somewhere around 15000 €/year for a couple.

It might be difficult to find work here but I've heard that it is not any better in Cyprus.As an EU citizen you will need a work permit until April 2011 but it is always granted.For painting and maintainance Mr. Spider would be competing with Maltese workers so salaries are not that high - probably similar to Cyprus.

Counsellor might be a regulated profession here in Malta- I'm not sure.

You won't find a huge villa in Malta for around 360€ - maybe 4-5 times as much ! But 2 bedroom appartments might be around 500€ depending on where you rent.

I actually have friends who are planning to travel the other way - from Malta to Cyprus! So I guess nowhere is perfect -)))

Thanks again Ricky,for getting back,you seem a nice chap...When you say cheap wages, any idea please, and do you mean that counselling would be regulated ? I would intend to seek work as a group therapist or individual counselling and hope I night be able find something that offers this service..maybe rehab places.It would be under the guidelines of The British Association of counselling as its the only we to do it ! 

Do you know if we bring our pets from a none EU country if the Q would be for 6 months :( as this is what we are thinking it  may be and if this being the case may prevent a move but it would depend on the conditions of the quarantine accommodation..thanks again..sending best wishes that you have a very good Christmas. :)

Bringing the pets from a non-eu country is a pain...   I dont have the details on me but I will look them from my records and post them tomorrow, but like everything in Malta timing is everything... Rabbies shots need to be given on a cirtain date etc... and they will need to be in Q for 30 days, and you will be met by a vet at the airport to make sure all your papers are in order...  It's a b***h...   again I will post all of the specifics tomorrow...

Chad

Check out the previous post ' Bringing a pet dog to Malta'.

If you are talking about N. Cyprus, the EU considers the whole of Cyprus as being part of the EU so it would be just moving a pet through the EU ( pet passport and so on).

There was an article in the paper about counselling in general and about the Master Degree. According to this there is no law governing counselling in Malta so you should be ok with your qualifications and past experience.Follow the link:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … t-deserves

Ricky

Thank you all for the help so far..I will keep reading the posts and maybe learn as much as we can with regards to the move over..we are also looking for people who may visit a bar in Buggiba called the English Rose. Our dear Friend Charlie own it. and I think now his son may..but would love to be able to send hime our love via someone who knows him and his bar, please remind him of Maria and Vic. Posting this seems a long shot but one never knows :)

spiders wrote:

Thank you all for the help so far..I will keep reading the posts and maybe learn as much as we can with regards to the move over..we are also looking for people who may visit a bar in Buggiba called the English Rose. Our dear Friend Charlie own it. and I think now his son may..but would love to be able to send hime our love via someone who knows him and his bar, please remind him of Maria and Vic. Posting this seems a long shot but one never knows :)

Hi, i'm new here on the forum. I was reading your post and it's very funny because my apartmenent is in the building next to the english rose, here in bugibba jaja. One of this days i will go to the bar and give your message to Charly jeje.

I'm from El Salvador (Latin America) and me and my girlfriend are living on Malta now for almost 8 months.  We don't have to many friends, because we don't go out to much, we work from home (internet) and don't have to much time. But we will be glad to know some new people here in Malta, anyone just let me know :)