Lets have FUN on a Budget

In my previous post “Making it on a budget in PR”, the chain of posts was oriented toward allaying the fears of new comers on what it would take to move and live in Puerto Rico. Some would call it “Survive”, and complained there was no fun factor.

Well, let's get to the fun factor, this subject is about: what to do, where to go, where to find specials, companies that provide tours/ fun things to do for less, and what is your secret to make a fun trip fit your budget? Are there restaurants with good tasting food that do 2 for 1?

I know all of you have fun things to do on a budget and places where you find specials to all those fun things.

Lets hear it, tell us how you have fun on a budget
Thanks
Rey

well George and I like to explore the island... some days we will go to puertodaytrips.com pick a place and just go and see what we can find...other days we like to fill a cooler with coronas, sangria, snacks and head to Pinones/Isle Verda and sit on the beach all day drinking, talking, watching the surf and pelicans. Depends on your budget but there is an all day snorkeling tour SS Tobias that's $85/per person that goes to Culebra... they supply the equipment food drinks snacks and its a wonderful time. Walking around OSJ is also neat when the tourist boats don't come in which is on Friday... we love doing the budget thing because at the moment money is tight but there is several things to do...

Beach time!!! On the southwestern part of the island there are numerous beaches that are free. Even the ones that have an entrance fee it is a few bucks. Tamarindo beach, Boqueron, Cana Gorda, Playa Santa, La Jungla, just to name a few. Also a few minutes drive up the mountains will take you to some river locations where tou can spend the day cooling down.

Most of our favorite things to do on the island are free or inexpensive, like watching the sunset (there's a reason why that's my photo!)

Since we're west coast, my list is focused on the west and central portion of the island.  Like BearNVa, PuertoRicoDayTrips.com is a favorite place to see what else is available.

Fun free things to do:
*If you're near Rincon then snorkeling at Steps Beach is awesome.  The fish start right at the shore.
*Going to the Rincon lighthouse to watch the surfers or look for whales if the season is right
*Cave of the Wind in Guajataca is a nice little hike and then you descend into a cave (bring a good flashlight) to see stalactites and stalagmites (and some bats as well)
*La Playuela in Cabo Rojo is a beautiful beach
*Visit the pulguero (flea market) in San Sebastian on Fridays

Inexpensive outings:
*the waterfalls atGozilandia - $5 per car
*the bio-luminescent bay in La Paguera. We recently usedPapayo Divers - $20 per person

Check out Gustazos for Groupon like deals as well.

We're always discovering more to do here!

For kids lets not forget Boy's Scouts, there is a camp in Guajataka (Isabela) that I myself attended when I was a kid and it was a blast (for kids and parents to have some me time with no kids for a while). http://reocities.com/Yosemite/9920/guajataka.htm It's around 90 per boy scout as a troop, 1 week stay from June thru August.

Not sure if Girl scouts have the same but I believe they do (across the lake and far from the boys).

Needless to say the kids need to be in a troop. You can also attend Guajataka as a family but not the camp.

All the farmers markets and such are also neat to go to... Rincon has an art show every Thursday I think... San Sebastián has a flea market every Friday I think...Luquillo has a farmers market the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every month at the Art Center... there are also lots of car and motorcycle events around the island as well... there is a drag strip in Salinas...

Sabana Grande have one every Sunday, they have live music and tons of food.

We go to the beaches to walk and scrounge for seaglass and driftwood needed for Pinterest-inspired projects, we go for hikes up through the jungle of the El Yunque, we "get lost" on roads that we have never been on before (with plenty of gas in the tank) and find all kinds of new barrios, scenery, road food, limbers, etc., we go to the river and natural water falls in Sabana (Luquillo) to swim and climb rocks, we take a long walk around the neighborhood by our house with a garbage bag and gloves and pick up the trash along the side of the road, we have swapped our house for someone else's house on AirBnb on the other side of the island which provided us with an opportunity to make friends and explore new areas without spending extra on lodging.  For cheap food, we go to Ralph's grocery store cafeteria and split one serving of lunch or early dinner - their servings are huge - and it's authentic homecooked "comida criolla".

Hi Melendeski, I may impose on you one day for one of those El Yunque trips, never been much off the turist spots.
I am however very good at finding all the friking potholes on that road and hitting each one of them.

ReyP wrote:

Hi Melendeski, I may impose on you one day for one of those El Yunque trips, never been much off the turist spots.
I am however very good at finding all the friking potholes on that road and hitting each one of them.

Sure!  We're learning our way around the 28,000 acres! :)   The last time I was up there, we only planned on a nice Sunday walk in the mountains and packed four bottles of water.  We wound up on the El Yunque Trail and went all the way to the Peak.  Five hours later, we're dragging our tails down the mountain, desperate for black beans and rice!  Seriously though, it's a healthy way to spend time and it's FREE!

When I stayed at Fajardo in an AirBNB I went to Ralfh's and they had chicken legs for 99 cents a pound which is cheaper than here in the states, and they also had a good selection of wines. I did not noticed a food court there but probably it was because I was in a hurry. I also understand that Econo has a food court also with Comidas Criollas. How much you pay there for a plate ?

ReyP wrote:

When I stayed at Fajardo in an AirBNB I went to Ralfh's and they had chicken legs for 99 cents a pound which is cheaper than here in the states, and they also had a good selection of wines. I did not noticed a food court there but probably it was because I was in a hurry. I also understand that Econo has a food court also with Comidas Criollas. How much you pay there for a plate ?

At Ralph's, you can get a large sectioned styrofoam container FULL of food (two meats, rice and beans, and a side of tostones or maduros) for $8.00.  We go to the Ralph's in Rio Grande, next to the TJ Maxx on PR3, but we have ate at the Fajardo store too.  The cafeteria is to the north side of the store.  There are also cafeterias in the Super Wal-marts, but we haven't tried them.

A tourist couple is lost in "El Yunque" they disappeared around 11 am yesterday, they have not yet been found. Big place. Spanish report: http://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/segu … e-2172105/

We have a small quiosk down the street from us that sells lunches and fried stuff. You can get a lunch, rice, beans meat and a drink for $6.

In keeping with doing fun on a budget, you may want to check these events going on in March:
Things to Do
Events Taking Place in March

Aguas Buenas Carnival - March
Aguas Buenas
Cantata Corretjer - March
Ciales
Carnaval Brujo - March
Guayama
Feria Dulces Sueños - March
Guayama
Feria y Exposicion de Caballos de Paso Fino - March
Guayama
Festival de Artesania - March
Toa Baja
Festival de Chiringa - March
San Lorenzo
Festival de la China Dulce - March
Las Marias
(787) 827-2280
Festival de la Cidra - March
Adjuntas
Festival de la Fundacion del Pueblo de las María - March
Las Marias
Festival del Gigante - March
Adjuntas
Festival del Guiro - March
Las Piedras
Festival del Pescao - March
Cabo Rojo
Fiesta del Barrio Angeles - March
Utuado
Fiesta Negra - March
Arroyo
Fiestas de Cruz - March
Humacao
Fiestas Patronales de San Benito Abad - March
Every year, Patillas celebrates a patron saint festival. The festivities include dances, food, parades and religious processions.
Patillas
(787) 839-4120
Fiestas Patronales de San José - March
Every year, Lares celebrates a patron saint festival. The festivities include dances, food, parades and religious processions.
Lares
(787) 897-2300
Every year, Gurabo celebrates a patron saint festival. The festivities include dances, food, parades and religious processions.
Gurabo
Every year, Luquillo celebrates a patron saint festival. The festivities include dances, food, parades and religious processions.
Luquillo
(787) 889-2525
Every year, Penuelas celebrates a patron saint festival. The festivities include dances, food, parades and religious processions.
Penuelas
(787) 836-1136
Fiestas Patronales de San Patricio - March
Salsa dancing, masquerades, colorful parades and rich Puerto Rican food make this festival a classic.
Loiza
(787) 794-1135
Five Days With Our Land Fair - March
Mayagüez celebrates an annual agro-industrial fair featuring agricultural product exhibits.
Mayaguez
(787) 832-4040
National Championship Motors - March
4th event of the Puerto Rican National Motocross Championship; new and high level circuit, big show assured.
Dorado
(787) 726-3162
Ponce Crafts Fair - March
Ponce celebrates every year the famous "Feria Artesenal". the celebration includes dance, music, food and exhibits by artisans from several cities of the island.
Ponce
(787) 844-8240
Semana de Pedro Flores - March
Naguabo
Torneo de Pesca - March
Culebra

ReyP wrote:

A tourist couple is lost in "El Yunque" they disappeared around 11 am yesterday, they have not yet been found. Big place. Spanish report: http://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/segu … e-2172105/

Apparently the tourists went into an area that was marked as off limits because of mud slides and treacherous conditions.  When they called for help, they were told to stay put until assistance arrived.  They must have gave up waiting or disregarded the instructions, which only delayed their recovery.  Fines imposed.  I believe that it could easily happen in the right conditions ... it's like the ocean, it's beautiful, but the inherent dangers must be respected at all times.

adlin20 wrote:

We have a small quiosk down the street from us that sells lunches and fried stuff. You can get a lunch, rice, beans meat and a drink for $6.

I love that area over there! 
There's a food truck just off 3 and 967 that serves homemade sancocho only on Fridays.  You can get a nice size container of it with a side of rice for $5.00!  It is so filling, I can split it between two meals.  There's a line forming by 9:30 a.m. Friday mornings, so you must get there early ... forget it for lunch, she sells out.

Any place where they have good Cabrito?
It has been a while since I had some good goat stew.

I am not sure about you guys, but when I visit PR I tend to put on about 1 pound a day.