Naturalisation by marriage

Hello

My name is Kate, I have been living in Brazil for almost three years now. I have received Permanency in December 2014, so by December 2015 I've had it for one year and was eligible to apply for naturalisation. However, there are several things about the process that are really unclear to me.

1. First thing I checked before moving here is wether Brazil allows dual citizenship and every source said that it does. Now, I'm being told by the Federal Police that I would have to renounce my original citizenship. Supposedly, you sign a document to that effect, which is then sent to the consulate. Can I be absolutely sure that this will not have legal power in my original country?

2. As I understand, when the waiting period is 4 years, you're only allowed to leave the country for no longer than 18 months total. Is there such a requirement when the waiting period is one year (marriage)? When I received my CIE at the Federal Police, we were told that I can travel abroad and it doesn't affect the waiting period, by now I'm not sure, I haven't been able to find any information on this. I have left Brazil several times during this year to visit family at home, for approximately 3 months total. Does this mean that I can still apply for naturalisation at this time?

3. I am currently not employed anywhere, so I can't present any of the documents for proof of income. However, I do have a bank account with sufficient funds to support myself for an extended period of time. Would a bank statement (from outside Brazil) be acceptable as proof of income?

Hello Kate,

I hope that I can answer your concerns satifactorily.

1. Yes Brazil recognizes dual citizenship, and yes while the application for naturalization asks you to renounce your existing citizenship that is purely pro forma. It does not apply outside of Brazil and will only effect your Russian citizenship if Russia nationality laws mean that you would automatically lose your Russian citizenship if you voluntarily obtain additional citizenship. You'll have to research that point before you make your ultimate decision to naturalize. You should be able to find out more about Russian Nationality Laws on Google. Essentially what the renouncing means is that WHILE IN BRAZIL you are considered only to be a Brazilian citizen, and thus cannot avail yourself of any of the protection that your Russian citizenship would offer you while here.

2.  When applying for Ordinary Naturalization based on marriage to a Brazilian citizen the waiting period is ONE YEAR from the date on which you obtained permanency. So you've clearly qualified on that point. You need to report (and possibly justify) any absences from Brazil. While there is no clear information on what effect prolonged absences might have on the application, it is highly unlikely that absences of 90 days at any given time (or less) will have any effect at all. I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you.

3.  If you're married the fact that you are not currently employed would not mean a lot, certainly would not prevent you from obtaining citizenship. You could be a housewife, after all. Your husband's employment, finances and your bank account would be sufficient to prove your ability to support yourself.

For more information on Ordinary Naturalization:  http://www.justica.gov.br/central-de-at … ionalidade

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thank you James, this is very helpful.