Moving to Malta - A few questions

Hi Everyone,
I've been reading this forum on and off for the past 6 months and thought it was about time I registered and asked a few questions of my own.

1. I'm moving to Malta working as a consultant later in the year, mainly dealing with people abroad. Therefore one of my main concerns is meeting people my age. I'm a 29 year old single guy, and I'll likely be using my second bedroom as an office and the last thing I want to become is a recluse! Ideally it would be great to hear if anyone single of a similar age and circumstance, who can offer some guidance and tips.

2. I also have quite a general question about Sliema and St Pauls. They seem to be the two places I've been advised about the most due to my age more than anything I think. Does anyone have any specific feedback about either place for a single guy? Also are there any other places I should consider in my position/age? Its probably worth noting I'm not a huge partier, but due to the working from home thing, I think it might be useful to be near to some of the busier areas.

3. The last one is a strange one, I'm pretty free to arrive/move to Malta whenever I please from June onwards. Is there a good/bad time to arrive? I'm thinking more about property availability than anything/tourists.

Hello mb_y2k and welcome on board Expat.com :top:

If you have read the threads of the different categories of the Malta Forum, I suggest you to check out the Malta Expat Guide for more useful infos while waiting for members to revert back. ;)

Regards

Kenjee
Expat.com

Ideally you want to come April / May because June will be peak season meaning properties are more expensive especially in the areas you want

Hi Kenjee,
Thanks for the feedback on the Malta Expat guides, I'll be sure to check those out later in the week.

Also rob, thanks for the information about properties. I did suspect that might be the case and I would be better avoiding the summer months. If anyone has any experiences or advice about where a single guy could base himself to avoid being isolated I'd really appreciate it.

2. I'd advise Sliema (or the surrounding towns). The average age in St. Paul's Bay, especially in Bugibba and Qawra, can skew rather 40+. Sliema/StJ/Ta' Xbiex have everything SPB has, with a more normal-aged population.

3. Rents are higher in the summer, and there's more competition for nice apartments. And it's hard to get used to the heat when it's already hot. If you can move in October, you'll have more choices and gentler weather.

More normal age!!!

What a cheek !!!

First, I used normal in its classical/statistical sense...

Second, you wouldn't think so if you knew how *ancient* I am.
:-D

kateblank wrote:

2. I'd advise Sliema (or the surrounding towns). The average age in St. Paul's Bay, especially in Bugibba and Qawra, can skew rather 40+. Sliema/StJ/Ta' Xbiex have everything SPB has, with a more normal-aged population.

3. Rents are higher in the summer, and there's more competition for nice apartments. And it's hard to get used to the heat when it's already hot. If you can move in October, you'll have more choices and gentler weather.

:dumbom:

Hi mate.

Its a very easy transition here. Myself im 28 moved just over a year ago.. wasa leap of faith as never had been here before didnt know any friends ect here. Now I rarely find time to myself.. very sociable island.. both for relaxing and also plenty parties if its ur thing or even both.. my advice to you is to take some time to explore the island at first. Tke a short rental.. then look for more longer agreement after and also to not hold back just go for it.. myself I.live in birzebbuga south isand. I find its good mix here and balanced of night life and chill out. But its like anywhere in Malta isnt far. Joys of a smll island.  good luck pall