Moving to Gozo

We are hoping to move February/March 2013 depending on sale of house in SA (three offers so far) but non as yet materialised...have looked at so many places to rent (apartments)98% of them furnished and find that a lot of the furniture is not to our taste. We are prepared to pay the R70 000 to bring all of our contents but have been advised by the agents that the landlords will not removed their furniture....any suggestions....

Sorry forgot to mention that we are hoping to move to Gozo....

hmm i wouldnt say that all landlords wont remove furniture - some will if they have spare storage....its not the norm i admit...but it is possible. unfurnished properties are not that common. here or in Malta or Gozo.

i have  a list of things to watch out for when you move here if thats any good to you - i think you may find it helpful.. PM if you would like it mailed to you.

thanks, new on forum, what does pm mean? Im hoping to come over as soon as our house is sold for a week and hopefully find somewhere that I can use our furniture, Im not sure how long the furniture takes to get there from SA, so will probably need theirs until then, I see the toon got beat at the weekend, I try and watch most of the matches. Do you know if there are many Terios or sale on the island. I have one and love it, we saw quite a few in September. Thanks again

private message look at mt username and you will see a we envelope click on that that will enable you to send me a message - let me have your email addy and will then send the doc to you

i see a few now and again - and yes they are popular here..i see the odd one advertised in JM Motors at Qormi

Often what are described as furnished is in reality only partly furnished, and many landlords will take out furniture - maybe not most, but there are so many empty properties, you will find a landlord who will, no problem

there I go again George agreeing with you again.....

Any suggestions/tips on how best to find houses for rent on Gozo? We too expect to relocate in Feb of 2013. Have searched what seems like hundreds of sites including Frank Salt, Gozo SPCA classifieds, Malta housing section of this site, etc. Just wondering if there's a better way to do this...for instance, would you get better deals through word-of-mouth once on the island?

yes it is often the case.

I have decided to visit the island from SA early January in time for us to relocate February 2013, keeping fingers crossed that I can find somewhere that I like

Hi, have just been browsing through and noticed your message. I didnt find that word of mouth worked on the island, what  I did find was go onto the different websites of the agents and then e-mail them with your particulars for housing etc. A lot of their web-sites are outdated, but I have to say that ALL of the agents were so helpful via e-mail, and very helpful when I went there two weeks ago... just e-mail them for assistance

slight misunderstanding - you DO get better deals through word of mouth for sure.... as your not exposed to the commissions of estate agents.

As for agents - be absolutely clear of what it is you want and dont take any compromises.....they will try and push anything they have for sure...but you have it within your own control to say "this is not what I asked to see"!!!!!!

If you're moving in February, that can be the coldest time of the year. We will be on Gozo then as we need to see if we can enjoy a winter there before we move permanently in July.
Message me if you wish, exchange details, meet up etc.
Also check out a lot of the other topics for good advice and information.

Yes,have been forewarned but will have plenty of woollies hopefully. It was quite chilly in December which I found quite pleasant. Which month does it start warming up????

March - April if memory serves me right.

I saw someone was looking for a house to rent and we do have a townhouse in Nadur Gozo available  and would love a nice family to use it .Any info please let me know we stopped using it last summer as  we finished our other house that could accommodate  farm animals as my husband wants to have them and we did not have space for them in the townhouse with that said its a three bedroom house with a garage as well if needed and Nadur has the best school in Gozo and its a great village that has a lot going on .Contact me if needed @[email protected]

Hello J Cauchi -> Could you please post an advert in the Housing in Malta section? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi I am planing to move to Gozo and I would like to ask you is it hard to find a job there in Travel and Tourism indistry?

Could you also give me some advise of what is the best time to move there?

Hi anetacardonald,

Welcome to expat-blog!

May be an introduction of yourself, as well as giving details about job you are looking for may help us to guide you in the right way.

Thank you,

David.

much depends on whether you want searing heat and humidity or humidity and cold with winds and a rain to start your new life.... it also will depend on the work you are hoping to find if its tourism related now is the time to get here - as in a few weeks the high season will have started and most jobs will have been taken - winter jobs in this field are harder to  find and get. even now we have noticed a rise in tourists in the villages.

we moved here in them month of september/october - although it didnt feel cold to us then but it was every humid.... however the temps in winter nov/dec to march/april now feel cold to us having acclimatised over the last 5 years.

so glad to find your forum - we want to return to Gozo after I spent my teen years at Royal Naval School Tal Handak, Malta and my husband and I now want to retire - with our three California Ragdoll cats in Gozo!  We are just back after a weeks holiday on the big island and just fell in love with the Maltese people again.  On visiting the village where I lived in the 60's we met up with people who remembered me and my sister all those years ago - it was just lovely.  So we are now planning.....

Merħba, welcome.
I hope that you find what you are looking for.

Where was it in Gozo? You are so right about the people.

We had a couple of chats with a lady down the road from where we were staying Fontana. At some point we must have mentioned when we were going home, for she was hanging around on the morning in the street and when we came out to leave she gave us "leaving presents".

She was so excited when we said we had found somewhere to live and would be moving back later in the year. Joanne was here name and she lives with her sister Rita, the most charming couple of dears I have ever met.

That friendliness just doesn't exist where I currently live in the UK, or any part of the UK I have lived. These women are strangers after all!

Friendliness, oh yes! One of the reasons we had/have no doubts about returning to live at Xaghra is because of the friendships made when doing our 'due diligence' during the winter.
Yes, they want to know everything about you and in the first ten minutes too! but we love them. We were shown more generosity of spirit and kindness in the six weeks we visited than in the 26 years of being in UK previously. The only other time I experienced similar was when in Newfoundland.