Has anybody used a container company to ship goods to Malta?

We will be relocating from Spain to Malta in February 2011.  We are looking at the different ways to getting our stuff there and to be honest, are shocked by how much ferries will cost.

Another option we are looking at is a container (possibly shared with another expat coming to Malta).  Does anybody have any experience transporting their personal belongings this way and/or can anybody recommend a container company that may be able to help.

Many thanks

ps.  Happy New Year everybody.:D:D:D

Hi,
And Happy New Year to you too.

We brought our stuff from the US in a small container that goes into a bigger one.The handling here in Malta was very efficient with our stuff being delivered to our home.But the costs wont compare with coming from Spain.

How much do you have ? Where you going to rent a van to bring it or just in a car ? Don't forget that most appartments and houses here are rented out furnished.

There are regular transport trucks to various European countries.Maybe that is an option for Spain too ? I'll try and find out.

Regards
Ricky

Ricky,  Thank you very much for your reply and offer to find out more info for me.  It is very much appreciated.

We have sorted our house, and it is mostly furnished so most of the stuff we are bringing will be boxed cartons.  To be honest, it would mostly fit in a transit van with perhaps an additional trailer but the transit costs that way by ferry are huge. 

We have a friend who is also moving to Malta at the same time (more or less) so we are also investigating the shared cost of throwing it all in one container.  The main problem I am having is finding companies that transport from Spain.  It would appear you can come to Spain but you can't leave (unless its back to the UK).

Any information you guys could give me would be of a huge help.

Again,  thank you loads for your help.
Jules

Hi Jules, I used a maltese shipping company when I brought out a couple of sofas from the UK to Malta last year and last month I used another company (organised in the UK) when I brought out a very large canvas from the UK to Malta.

Customs in Malta is a breath of fresh air, they called me up and said they had my canvas and it was delivered in an hour! 

The first time I had a shipmemt, the sofas, I had to go to Halfar and sign for the sofas but then they were delivered within a couple of hours.

The delivery within Malta was expensive, about 50 euros. 

The Maltese company I used was Jet Services.

Good luck

Suzanna

Hola Amiga,

Thanks for that, I will try to contact Jet and see if they can help.

See you soon
Jules
x

Hi Lucyanya,
I know this post hasn't been used for a while but I just wanted to know how you got on with the container shipping. We are in exactly the same position and want to move from Barcelona to Malta later in the year. We have about 20 boxes worth of stuff and wanted to see if this way was much cheaper and easier than using a removal company
Kind Regards
Lindsey

Hiya,

I put a quick reply on the other thread but feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything.

:)

Hi Jules,

We are relocating from Spain to Malta also.
Can you provide any tips? How did you do it in the end?
We are thinking about driving across in a (rented) van.
Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Lis

Hi, so sorry for delay in reply.   We drove from Spain with 3 dogs, two cats and a ton of stuff.  We didn't rent a van tho, had our own.  It's possible, not a horrible journey and ferry was ok.  Make it an adventure...grin.  Sorry I can't make any recommendations.