Essentials to live in Croatia

Hi,

As an expat living in Croatia, what would you advise the ones about to pack to bring along?

What are the items you can easily find in Croatia? On the other hand, what is less common or quite expensive?

Share with us what you would recommend to bring in one's suitcase or container when moving to Croatia.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Good quality tea bags.   Purchase them in bulk from the UK.  PG tips ,  Fortnum Mason.   English books.     I am hard pressed.   I miss everything from UK and US.

Does anyone have things sent from Amazon to Croatia? Mostly kitchen things - knives, utensils - that kind of thing. Any other shopping sites they can tell me about that will deliver to Croatia?
Thanks,

Normal attire for a moderate temperate climate. AC/DC converter is big item...have 3-4 of them.

My husband orders car stuff, tools from Amazon which arrives in a timely fashion.
I ordered sheets from Peter Jones , UK which came by truck.  I miss second hand stores to purchase kitchen utensils.   Stock up when you visit the UK.

Thanks, Ellen. I live in Cuenca, Ecuador now. We moved here 3 1/2 years ago thinking this would be IT but the high altitude is not good for my husband's health.
After this move here, I have decided we won't be renting anything but furnished apartments anymore. I'm so tired of buying and selling. I'm an oil painter and usually work on large canvases but no more. Packable only from now on.
But I still need certain items, like good knives, for cooking and was debating mailing my current knives to our landlady in Split. But, since I can get Amazon to deliver I will take advantage of this move to purchase some new knives. LOL
We can't wait to get to Split. We will be there in early April. Where do you live? It would be nice to meet you.
Thanks for the information.
Kate

We are also in Split and I would welcome a friend.   Being a chef , good knives are essential.  I collect.many which makes my Croatian husband uneasy!!!  We live in my husband's deceased parents apartment ( off Vulkarvarska)  and have 2 properties outside of the city which need alot of work.
Furnished is the best way to go.   Rented in Rijeka , small farm house with everything , 300€ a month.   I wept when I came to Split.   Do different and far from everything.

Your place in Rijeka sounded great! It must have been very hard to leave.
We loved Rijeka when we were there. We were close to the north beaches and very close to Opatija. I would need a car there, I think. Although the bus system looked good.
I'm sorry you are unhappy with Split. It is hard to move from a place you enjoy to somewhere too different for what you're looking for.
I look forward to meeting you in Split. We will be staying close to the Bacvice Beach. Part of the reason we are moving to Croatia is I am a swimmer and hope to swim as much as possible, rather than walk to stay healthy.
We'll be arriving in Split April 7th.
How long did you live in England? And where...

I lived in London for . over 20 years after leaving Wall Street.   My address was Colherne Court,  SW5. 
Bacvice Is fun. Men play a handball game in the water year round.   

When I first arrived in Croatia , I stayed 3 weeks in Opatija .  Loved it.   Europe was so close.     My husband says We are located behind God's legs. 

I look forward to meeting you.   There is a nice library in Split.    And a quirky second hand book store down a back alley near Bacvice which I haunt.   I will save all my English books to.pass along to you.   

My email address is xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : So as nobody misuses your private contact details, please exchange your mail ad via the private messaging system. Thank-You
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct