Your experience of culture shock in Croatia

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Croatia.

What is your advice regarding the don’ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

I have been there several times and there is no culture shock at all, if fact is several areas they are way ahead of the US.  If you do some research you will discover the first torpedo was actually built in Rijeka, also the first paper mill and first paper was manufactured there.  It is rich with history and advancements that supersede the USA.  The only problem I encountered was the fact that trying to understand how they ever fell into communism with Tito after WWll.

The couple next door to me invited me to the christening of their baby boy. I didn't go to the church service but went to the party which was held in the village hall. Quite a few other guests did not go to the church so there were nibbles and a musician to keep us entertained. When the proper meal was about to start there was someone (a priest?) started saying grace. This was much longer than the usual C of E grace prayer we get in England and everyone knew the words and joined in. In UK people normally just say Amen at the end.

In general everyday life I don't get a sense of culture shock though. I feel more at home in Croatia than I do in Hungary. Croatians seem more relaxed and their attitude to animals seems similar to what I am used to in UK. In Hungarian villages a lot of dogs are just kept as guard dogs and are chained up all the time.