Job interviews malta

Back in the states as an IT guy I will usually wear some decent slacks or jeans and a long sleeve button up shirt to an interview....   

Are most companies in Malta pretty relaxed about these things or is it a suit and tie or just a tie occasion?

Every country I have worked in is a bit different.   What are the Rules in Malta?

I know this sounds a bit silly, but it is something that's good to know?

I work in IT here and I'd say it's more relaxed than the mid-west of the USA...daily attire where I work is jeans and t-shirt, but I don't know about for interview purposes as I interviewed through skype so they only saw me from the waist up ;-)

I can ask my colleagues on Monday and let you know.

Good luck
Tim

I went on a job interview for a P/A position and there were others in the waiting room also interviewing. They were all in casual clothes and  I was in a suit. I dont know if it had anthing to do with it, but I got the job. It does depend on the job you're applying for, but I personally think its better to be overdressed than under...shows you're serious.You can always lose the jacket and tie if you see the place is really laid back.

The IT guys that come in to fix our compters are always dressed nice.

It probably depends on the sector that job is in too - an IT job for a Bank probably has a different dress-code than the same IT job in the "entertainment" industry. But yes, I agree, it's probably better to be over than under dressed....but hopefully they will look beyond your clothing choices!

Thank you all that is very helpful.

I just flew in for an Interview and went for the suit option.

I was going to Interview over skype but i felt that actually flying out there to do a face to face showed a bit more commitment to the company... any thoughts ??

Sorry hijacking your thread ;)

I agree that flying out shows more commitment, but the way Malta and most EU companies work I think the Potential employer usually makes the final call, unless you are looking for a reason to visit malta. 

Also If a company really wants to meet you isn't it customary for them to pick up the ticket/hotel cost for you???   The way you word it I am under the impression you are covering the costs...

Hi,

I had similar questions about 9 months ago or so.  I'm a female engineer and the consensus seemed to be to dress professionally, like I would in the US, but in lighter fabrics (eg - linen instead of wool). A suit or a conservative dress with a jacket.  The thread is probably still around - it was less than a year ago.  Hope this helps.

Duffy

In Malta IT guys are dressing up like a football players..

Thanks me3512...

I did cover the cost myself and unfortunatley didn't get the position that i applied for.... i did try to squeeze in a few more interviews into place but ended up doing a Telephone interview on Monday this week with one of them....

This is now being followed up by an Interview this Monday coming at Heathrow Airport... so i will keep you updated as to whether you need to keep those Cisks Cold ;)

thanks again

good luck and I always have cisk cold :)  hope to see you soon'
\

Chad