Photography Work in Malta

Hi,
I am a photographer from the UK, moving to Malta in March. I was wondering, from anybody that can answer, are there many opportunities for photographers in Malta? I know photography is becoming scarce in all lands but I will never call it dying art because it is how we make perfect reminders of our memories. I have previously emailed several companies in Malta and received one promising reply, but I wondered what other people' opinions would be and also put myself out there for potential opportunities  ;)

I am also experienced in medical environments and I am willing and able to develop new skills within a new role, so I believe there will be work available , but would like to continue with photography when I make the move to Malta.

Anyhow, thank you for reading.

Over & out, Annie

Hi Annie'
              Welcome to expat.com.
There are plenty of photographers in Malta but it will be difficult to make a living at it.
There is a guy in Mellieha that has a big shop but he has had to diversify into photo copying, framing, printing boarding passes, coffee shop etc.
http://www.picturethis.com.mt/
He is a nice guy and may be willing to give you some guidance regarding setting up a business.

Lots of weddings and funerals but I guess the Maltese have most of that business.

Good luck

Terry

Hi Annie,

a friend of mine is one of the photographers that pop up if you Google photography in Malta. It took him several years before he was able to turn his love for photography into a full-time job. The market itself is more than saturated so you will have to be well net-worked in the Maltese society but even then it is a constant battle for survival.

My advice would be to cencentrate on your alternate work at the beginning and get a feeling for the Maltese way.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you, both for your kind replies. You have both given me something to think about and that itself is a head start.