I'm a sort of expat

Hi all,

I'm a Brit married to a French girl with Swiss-born kids.

Resident in France, but travel into London once or twice a week to pay my bills.

Need a change, and am thinking about Germany/Australia/Canada.

Roesti

Hello Roesti :)

Welcome to Expat-blog.

Your discussion has been redirected to the France forum for better visibility.

Regards,
Sheetul

Being serial expats, my husband and I have often discussed where we would want to settle down some day. For us Canada would be a serious candidate: safe, friendly people from all origins, great open spaces. If you speak both English and French the area around Montreal and Quebec would be ideal. Only down side for me are the long, cold winters.

Australia has far too many dangerous, poisonous animals and is too hot and Germany is just a bit too strict and gloomy for me. But that is just my opinion.

Hi globetrotter, thanks for the advice.
Must admit that Quebec has been high on our list of possible moves.
After 3 years in a French school, our kids are pretty much bi-lingual, so moving to Canada would pose no problems in that respect. In fact, I spent 5 years of my childhood in Toronto, and remember well the hot summers and very cold winters.
However, I did enjoy my time in Switzerland, and I guess is was thinking a spell in Germany would help me revive my ailing German.
I had considered staying working in London until after the Olympics, but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I used to be able to work a lot from home in France, but policy changes at work have scuppered that option.

Cheers
Roesti

Maybe you can compose a list of things that are important to you and your family and submit that list to the forums of the three countries. People who actually live there are better placed to help you and give advice.
Good luck!