New to Forum - New to the KSA (maybe)

Greetings from Germany to the forum. This may sound a bit too general so please excuse my lack of knowledge, but I got offered a job in Riyadh that I am seriously considering. While I am 100% shure that I will master this on the professional side - I need some help and guidance on the soft side. So here are my questions:
How will life be for my family (my wife is a banker with a university degreed and would love to work)?
We might need a German school - with only one year of English tuition my 8 year old son will "drown" in a British School..
Where and how would one live? What are the working hours (I hear rumours about 6days /12 hours each)? -Mind you I am not fearing work - just want to see the family every now and then...
What would be possible activities for my wife (in case she cannot work) and my son? What could we do together?

Thank you all so much for any insight you can offer. It will help to reach the right decision!

Welcome to Expat.com, the1steve :)

I transferred your topic to Riyadh's forum where the members are very active and will soon respond to your questions.

Meanwhile, do not hesitate to browse the forum for more information.

Cheers
arlette

hi Mr.1steve,

firstly ,let me welcome u in Riyadh the huge city :) , its normal and pls do not listen to the RUMERs . the work law here is clear to all u have to work 8 hours a day maybe for 5-6 days a week , its depend on your employer and your contract .

Riyadh is very nice city and very big as well , u can go shoppoing easily anyware , also u can go to the desert at the weekend especially nowdays with the very nice climate .

i hope i could help u with this little information and if u need more u can email me .

thank you

kk

Hello Steve,

First of all, I've once read the Saudi Labour Law Guide and it stated that the legal working hours are 48 per week. Depending on your company and your position, you might have to work a little more or a little less. Some companies have 2-day weekend (Thur, Fri) others require their employees to work half day on Thursday.

As for possible jobs for your wife, banks do hire females for certain jobs. Most of those I know work in customer service & loans departments.

About german schools for your kids, I really don't think there are any. This, however, is just an assumbtion I'm making based on the fact that even Goethe Institute doesn't have a branch in KSA to teach German to adults. Could be wrong about this one though...

Hope that was helpful. Welcome on board.

Hi Steve,

I think you wouldn't need to worry about the job timings or staying and socializing once you come to Riyadh.

95% of the companies here have 8 hrs/day work timings and i am sure your employer will also have the same timings for you.

There are very many nice compounds here that you can get for your family in Riyadh in case your company is providing you only housing allowance and no residence.

The German embassy here is very communicative and they have quite a number of events that will help you familiarize with the Germans living in Riyadh.

There is a German school in Riyadh and you can get more info from http://www.dsr.edu.sa/

Obviously once you come here it will take some time to adjust, the same as any other place in this world, but once you are get to know more people here it is a really nice place to live.

uh oh... inshallah!

approximately how long is the adjustment period, sly?

funkydelicguy wrote:

uh oh... inshallah!

approximately how long is the adjustment period, sly?

Depends on the things a person need to get adjusted :):cool:

Thanks to all for taking your time to answer my questions. I have already had a conversation with the German School - they seem to be quite sophisticated! As for the working hours - it seems to be flexible with a 5 day week and 48hrs in general. The employer will pay for a 3bedroom / compound - it seems they house most of their senior level expads in the Kingdom Compound (which seems to be quite nice). I will have a discussion with the family now about living in Riyadh... Lets see!

the1steve wrote:

Thanks to all for taking your time to answer my questions. I have already had a conversation with the German School - they seem to be quite sophisticated! As for the working hours - it seems to be flexible with a 5 day week and 48hrs in general. The employer will pay for a 3bedroom / compound - it seems they house most of their senior level expads in the Kingdom Compound (which seems to be quite nice). I will have a discussion with the family now about living in Riyadh... Lets see!

Best of luck and once gain welcome to the blog and kingdom

YEah welcome to the blog.. looks like most of your concerns are cleared here.

the1steve wrote:

Greetings from Germany to the forum.
Thank you all so much for any insight you can offer. It will help to reach the right decision!

Welcome to the kingdom! I hope that you are finding it to your liking! We are from London but my husband works in a German bank, so i am sure that your wife will have no problem in finding a good job. You are right about the school though, I work in the British school and I see a lot of children struggling because their English is not as good as it could be.
Welcome again! :)