GPS navigator

Anybody to advise me where to buy a GPS navigator ?

Thanks.
Albert

Try the Apple Store. They are selling the Tom Tom GPS for around US$100

Musicman, thanks. Where's an Apple store? I am new here and stay in Olaya.

There are several; Apple Stores on Olaya Street close to the Makkah Highway intersection where the Computer Market is located. You can see the Apple logo on their signboards.

Thanks Alvin, that one is just next to my hotel. Gonna have a look now.

Apple Stores: Shops who sell stuff built by Apple Inc. Not to confuse it with the Apple Inc's OWNED ones :)

There is no official Apple store in KSA yet.

I've been to every shop carrying the logo. None of them has ever heard of a GPS navigator.

In the mean time I have found one at Carrefour for 400 SAR (unclear brand) and some GARMINs at Jarir bookstore for 800 - 1000 SAR.

Thanks

Apple has nothing to do with Tom Tom. They are 2 independent companies. I guess what @musicman meant is that there are some shops who sell Apple & Tom Tom all under one roof.

DarMoja is the only dealer in KSA authorized by Garmin.
Their phone # is +966 1 201 4222.
URL: http://www.garmin.com.sa/

yes, one of my friends bought the TomTom last week from the Apple iStore on Olaya Street (on the intersection with Makkah Highway)

GArmins is a good trusted brand for handheld GPS only devices.
tom tom is an app that does come ont eh iphone, but can be installed only after jailbreaking it. Google maps is excellent, and Navigation is another great free gps for devices. but then you cant download maps and keep them saved. OVI maps for Nokia is also a decent GPS if you are looking for just the roads.

albertutama.

Depends on how much you want to spend,
and how often you are going to use it.

They sell chinese made gps devices that run iGo. for under 300 SR.

Just sharing a thought: I have tried various Apps (iGo, Garmin, TomTom) on my phone. It didn't go very well (a lot of battery consumption, not-too-good interface). I think the best + practical thing is to have a dedicated GPS device instead of bundling the phone for everything.

Natour wrote:

Depends on how much you want to spend,
and how often you are going to use it.

Garmin website does have prices: http://www.garmin.com.sa/

don't do the tom tom, garmin your only option
phone market, also just off exit 12 is a small shopping mall with the camping stuff on top, below are a garmin shop.

I will help regarding the brand name; for sure go for Garmin. good luck finding a store sell it.

at the phone market just off olaya is a accredited store

which gps would be rated best for middle east, any ideas?

all the same depending on what you want it for, just stret guiding, offroading etc, even the basic one is perfect for just street mapping, preferable go for the wider screen as it will give you more mapping view able at a time.
this is in the garmin's though.
all are running on the same map,if u visit another country you can easily download (at cost) that map and it will guide you there as well.

ok thanks
so garmin it is

can I buy a GPS from USA and somewhere download Saudi Map ?

siddig

If you have an I phone all you need to do is download the TomTom app and the Middle East map and you have all you need.

Thank Martin,
will the map be available if I don't have data connection on my iphone though ?
and hey that is $99 :(

I have used Copilot for GPS on my Android phone. Works fine for me, just minor problems for some roads. I got it through torrent downloads, if you are patient in looking for it...lol. Garmin is a good GPS device if you really want a dedicated device for this. Good luck

siddig wrote:

Thank Martin,

I understand that the map is on the phone so no requirement for data, however there are some features that use data to make the best of the software. Check the link attached.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/mo … highlights

Martin Fin wrote:
siddig wrote:

Thank Martin,

I understand that the map is on the phone so no requirement for data, however there are some features that use data to make the best of the software. Check the link attached.

Phones
Very right. Although maps reside in the AGPS-enabled phone, some features (esp the POIs (Point of Interest) updates will need a data connection. I recently tried Sygic (please google) on my jailbroken iPhone and found it very good. Had a similar experience with iGo.

Dedicated Devices
Garmin does charge $99 for local maps download. That's how local dealers here (e.g. Dar-Moja) charges $100 more than the rates published on Garmin official website coz local maps are pre-loaded.
I tried but couldn't find this thing for Tom-Toms. They may have different subscription options.

Martin Fin wrote:
siddig wrote:

Thank Martin,

Map is on phone but if you want to see where you are with regards to maps, then?

albertutama wrote:

Thanks.
Albert

Buy smart phone and use it as your navigation system!!!!

seeker of truth wrote:
albertutama wrote:

Thanks.
Albert

Buy smart phone and use it as your navigation system!!!!

Any preferred app on appstore?

Tomtom or Garmin? Final verdict?? or alternatively you suggest using some app on Iphone,, am already using google maps
I need device that tell me my current loc with regards to map

Sorry, I got Samsung not apple. Lol

pkmusd wrote:

Tomtom or Garmin? Final verdict?? or alternatively you suggest using some app on Iphone,, am already using google maps

All new smartphones come with GPS chip (module). Even new Hawaei phones priced as low as 500 SAR does.

About Apps:

- iGo
- Sygic
- Garmin

I go for sygic!!!!
:D

TheLegendLeads wrote:
pkmusd wrote:

All new smartphones come with GPS chip (module). Even new Hawaei phones priced as low as 500 SAR does.

About Apps:

- iGo
- Sygic
- Garmin

Thanks dear, I found out the same yesterday. I still rememeber the days when I was a techie but unfortunately not any more :(:)
I will be buying tomtom as everyone is favouring it as I have plans to travel to Bahrain and UAE frequently.

hishamdba wrote:

I will help regarding the brand name; for sure go for Garmin. good luck finding a store sell it.

somebody told me carrefour

Hi All,
This is my second week in Riyadh and first time within the region. I have seen some Garmin shops on my way to office/hotel.

I have always used Tom Tom in UK and absolutely love it. After reading comments on this forum, Garmin sounds sensible.

Can somebody tell me how good GPS is here in Riyadh? Does it show the correct location, etc? My impression is everything here is laid in loops!! My driver seems to drive me long distance on the road even for a building I can see from the window. :-(

Cheers
Mush

Croydon_2012 wrote:

Hi All,
This is my second week in Riyadh and first time within the region. I have seen some Garmin shops on my way to office/hotel.

I have always used Tom Tom in UK and absolutely love it. After reading comments on this forum, Garmin sounds sensible.

Can somebody tell me how good GPS is here in Riyadh? Does it show the correct location, etc? My impression is everything here is laid in loops!! My driver seems to drive me long distance on the road even for a building I can see from the window. :-(

Cheers
Mush

I have heard that Tomtom has a pack for Middle east as well. check the website and may be your tomtom app can still work.
I am even planning to get Tomtom.

Reg Garmin, I hav heard it to be best for GCC but costs 800-1000. Somebody mentioned its available of CF.

you could use your UK tom tom with middle east maps- i use tom tom, my friend has garmin and he's always having problems- always when we are in paris so not sure how good garmin is in saudi

Thanks all for the responses.

Guys, I have one question here.
The recent apple maps which have turned out to be a disaster is based on tomtom and apparently it misses locations big time.. it is because they don't have the correct version or tomtom is actually like that..
Has anyone tried tomtom for middle east maps?

I have a TomTom device with the Middle East Maps. It works very well down to street level, with only a few errors due to road works or streets that have been blocked.  I have also got a Garmin device which I have found very useful in the desert as it can leave a snail trail. So when you want to return on the same track you can. This device came free when I bought my Garmin 610 watch.