Citizenship - In Country Requirement

This is a subject I need to ask about. Once I obtain permanent residency, is there any requirement to live in the Paraguay for a specific time period during the three years leading up to Paraguayan citizenship? Is the three year residency requirement based on holding the permanent residency (cedula) for three years, or must one actually live within Paraguay for three years to qualify for citizenship?

For me, it is not an inconsequential question. My work responsibilities take me all over the world, so committing to a long period of living in-country would put a significant crimp on my work duties. I have been told that a set number of days within Paraguay is not required for the purposes of obtaining citizenship. In fact, I've been advised that one need only show up in Paraguay for the cedula application and the issuance thereof. After that, one must abide by the three year requirement of holding the cedula before application can be made for citizenship.

This seems generous, but my sources are .... questionable. It would be attractive in my situation so I would be interested in the answer to this question. To repeat, is there a set number of days a cedula holder must spend in Paraguay during the three year period after the cedula is applied for, before citizenship may be applied for and granted?

These answers do not seem to be easily researched on the internet, but there is no harm in asking here as I'm sure some of the readers may have been in my current situation.

Thanks so much for your help!

Welcome to Expat.com Avian :)

I am sure that other members will soon respond to your question regarding the Paraguayan citizenship :)

Regard
Yud

Does anyone have input on this subject? Feel free to chime in, as it is a subject that is not generally addressed.

Hello Avian
Guess nobody around here -including me!- knowns very much about your question so that's why we're taking so long to respond. I really can't say if one's required to be here or not as to be able to obtain citizenship.Even the 3 year period I'm not sure about.(I thought it was 5.) BUT I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING.

All I know is that to be able to obtain Paraguayan citizenship you'll need a lawyer, as it's not possible to do it yourself.     (Against the law)

So my advice to you, put yourself into contact with a Paraguayan Lawyer, and good luck.

I have confirmed with Migraciones their current requirements are:

You may submit a request for naturalisation 3 years after gaining residency.

It is not necessary to live in Paraguay after gaining residency, It is necessary to visit Paraguay once during this time, a short visit is acceptable, preferably earlier in the 3 year period.

Once you have gained permanent residency, you ask for a certificate of return. This is valid for 3 years. If you do not return to Paraguay within 3 years of gaining permanent residency, your residency is lost.

For naturalisation, you need your original documents submitted for residency plus a few new ones. If your passport expires during this time keep the old one as the original entry stamp, prior to gaining residency is needed. The process for naturalisation is similar to that for gaining residency.

Ariel Ortiz Santander.

Thank you, Asantander - can you (or anyone in the group) recommend a reliable attorney who can facilitate a visa and subsequent citizenship? If so, contact information please. Thank you!

I am looking to obtain an immigration atty. to start the paperwork.  Can anyone recommend attorney

Why is it that people even before they've been here want to start with the paper-work through lawyers???

I know of a person that does paper-work for foreigners (she's no lawyer) but she'll cost you $1000 or a bit more.I cannot recommend her because she's practically the only one I know of, so I won't.