Motorcycles up to 125cc changes

http://www.timesofmalta.com/mobile/view … ary.589255
For anyone interested in a thrill ride of danger every morning you can now do it without an additional licence

Interesting but I wonder if this would apply if you wished to use a125cc motorcycle while on holiday within the EU?

Terry

tearnet wrote:

Interesting but I wonder if this would apply if you wished to use a125cc motorcycle while on holiday within the EU?

Terry

Can't say for other EU countries but it would not be allowed in UK, below is the current situation for a car licence holder there.

" I have a full car licence, what can I ride?

With a full car licence having passed pre-2001 you are eligible to ride a moped (50cc Scooter) without the need for any test or training (C.B.T). You are also allowed to carry a passenger and do not need to display ‘L' plates. Having past your driving test post-2001, a C.B.T will need to be carried out."

Ray

But my licence is a Maltese one, which next year will allow me to drive 125cc.

That should be anywhere in the EU as its an EU licence.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

But my licence is a Maltese one, which next year will allow me to drive 125cc.

That should be anywhere in the EU as its an EU licence.

Terry

I think it is more a case of the Maltese government changing their own law to suit themselves, but that can not change the EU licence rules and these would remain unchanged in all other EU countries.

Ray

Interesting that when I did a search regarding validity of EU driving licences it seems that although the categories have been harmonised across the EU that variations within the same category are allowed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_driving_licence

This seems to be more prevalent in the categories A1,A2 and A  where there are lots of differences between countries on age, CC and test requirements.

It would seem the Malta and other countries are allowed to vary the requirements within categories and these are accepted within the EU.

Terry