Letting agencies

Has anyone ever used Frank Salt or Remax Malta to rent apartments? What was their experience? Reliable, professional?

I've heard that Remax don't update their website for months and many of the properties on there are no longer available. Any feedback on these sites would be most welcome.

most agents dont update their sites  - thats for sure...

In my experience you are better off talking to local people for properties rather than agents  = agents will sting you and wont show you what you ask for nor will they tell you or advise you about the utility scam - so be wary very very wary.

Best advice do not hand over any cash to either agent or landlord, until you have the keys in your hand and everything you wanted done or supplied has been completed dont sign the lease unless you are 100% happy to abide by it....and until after all you have agreed has been included in the lease. Most lease contracts are unfair to the tenant so read it fully understand the implications and pitfalls, be wary of the smiley smiley landlord and agent, no matter how nice they are to you, remember its your money there after, nothing else..... be careful before you sign it. if necessary get some who knows the score to read through it first  - its for your own protection as their isnt any for tenants in Malta as the rental sector is totally unregulated and non of the agents are members of the european bodies governing estate agencies / real estate lettings companies.. also be aware that if you go thru a private lettings company there are serious implications in doing so which they wont tell you about.

Geebee1978 wrote:

Has anyone ever used Frank Salt or Remax Malta to rent apartments? What was their experience? Reliable, professional?

I've heard that Remax don't update their website for months and many of the properties on there are no longer available. Any feedback on these sites would be most welcome.

I can only go by our experience with those two agents in Gozo. As Toon says none of the agents actually have all the properties they advertise available, once advertised they stay on the website, we took a 3 year lease on our current property but it is still being advertised!

We have rented twice through Frank Salt and had no problems at all, on both occasions we were shown the type of property we were looking for and around our budget. Initially Remax did not respond to my email about specific properties and it was only when I visited their offices they told me that none of my selection were available so they did not bother to reply!

Agents in Malta are no worse than UK ones when it comes to charges, at 50% of one months rent + vat in Malta, it is not much different on an mid range rent to the charges for credit checks and admin fees in the UK, which on our last rental there cost us £350 (475 euros). In Malta our charges have been 383 & 310 euros respectively

Ray

By my experience, I've rented 2 apartments through Dhalia previously and I don't have anything wrong to say about their service, very friendly and professional at all times. The 2 agents who dealt with my application at the time, were always available and open to show me different apartments and were willing to wait patiently until I found the ones I liked the most. Now, with regards to Remax, I have to say that my experience was no so good. I got someone once who was showing us some properties but to be honest, it was a very disappointing experience. As I did not like any of the apartments she showed me at the time, she completed changed her approach towards me and I could notice on her face, she wasn't happy. But it could be just me! In the end, it was my first and last contact with them with regards to viewing other properties.

I can recommend Dhalia (Gozo branch) as well as Frank Salt (Gozo as well). Both agents actually negotiated sizeable (about 15%) discounts with landlords without us asking.

I think it depends on the individual you are dealing with in any agency.

The standards regarding Malta estate agents are pretty low but there are individuals who  are good.

The problems are made worse if you are trying to get an Idea of the market by internet search.

Properties remain on the website for years after they are let, we were sent the details of the flat we were in when looking for another flat to move to!

Terry

tearnet wrote:

we were sent the details of the flat we were in when looking for another flat to move to!

That's hilarious! :)

But yea like you say it really depends on the agent. some are really nice people and very much down to earth/reasonable. Others... not so much. We dealt with five different agents (all from different agencies) in Gozo and only two were good.