Positivies and negatives in Egypt

please anyone tried the life in Egypt
tell us positivies and negativies
just tryin to improve our country

hmm.. Well for ME positive My husband comes from Egypt :D Hospitality. Conservative values. Very rich history, It's like stepping back in time with all the historical sites to visit. I dont know ow to explain it but there is just something about Egypt you either "hate" it or you fall in love with it. And for me I LOVE it :) I love all the time I spend there.

Negative first Horrible Pollution, and garbage in the streets nearly everywhere :S and the fact that there is NO organization or management in Egypt almost anything or decsion can be bought for a matter of LE

But in the end Ana hob ya Masry ;)

Agreed with Eypicanmeraty, pollution is pretty bad. Traffic is rough, but it's pretty amazing that people can actually navigate the madness.

Pros: people are generally kind spirited, the rich history is amazing. One of the great things about Egypt (in the middle east context) in my opinion is that there is actually a middle class here which translates, among other things into wider access to social goods such as education. This is not the case in countries like the KSA where class differences are basically insurmountable. There is a lot of possibility for the future in this sense.

I'm sure there a so many more positives to discover and I look forward to discovering them.

i am Egyptian and i hate the pollution  all types of pollution,
garbage in street is pollution  also.
how can we learn prople to keep street clean? really i don't know

@ amarakl

This is a concept that I always try to practice myself and I wish all of us do.

“Start with yourself, act clean and show others that you care cause a community unit is a human being”

"Be the change that you want to see in others"

Boby moon wrote:

@ amarakl

This is a concept that I always try to practice myself and I wish all of us do.

“Start with yourself, act clean and show others that you care cause a community unit is a human being”

"Be the change that you want to see in others"

Me too I always try to do,
I never through garbage in street and i teach my son that and he always tell me look someone through garbage from the car, and with my friends it is very hard to convince them to keep Egypt clean but as we say in Arabic ( Laa Hyea leman tonady.
can you think with me to do something towards our community regarding this issue?

I believe we should have a sort of an ACT or a Voluntary work for that and I know many Egyptians that would be happy to share and act in that team, we can manage to have something in action.

Boby moon wrote:

I believe we should have a sort of an ACT or a Voluntary work for that and I know many Egyptians that would be happy to share and act in that team, we can manage to have something in action.

i will be happy if i share something like that.

what else?

whedy wrote:

what else?

Hi Whedy,

Improvement of one's country can only come from within. All countries have their problems. Keep in mind that expat perspectives on Egypt will always be through the lens of their own experiences of other places and home countries. Our perspectives should be balanced against your own lived experience of Egypt. I'm curious, what do you (and any other locals who are reading this) love most about Egypt, Cairo, etc. What inspires you most about your country? What do you feel can be improved upon?

cheers,
Joe

Stumble_On wrote

. I'm curious, what do you (and any other locals who are reading this) love most about Egypt, Cairo, etc. What inspires you most about your country? What do you feel can be improved upon?

hello stumble;

loving your country have no reason, we all enjoy hottel rooms , its always neat & tidy and we feel comfortable about"t coz we dont have memories to conect with , but we don"t love it , you always - at a certen point - u wana go home where"s all ur memories ,even if your home is"t classy or clean ? its your history & "black box" , i can"t imagine myselfe living anywhere else and away from emotions people here r easy going and kind ,strong at the same time - as we dont have enogh organizations to help us -so we are used to depend in ourselfes and cope with any circumestances , of course there"s lots of things we need to improve 1-sitting a system in general & in our mentality 2- serious organizations to help out 3-rols,policies and strict low that no one can break " we can cancel this one as easy break lows somtimes r benificials ":dumbom:

cheers
suzana

sorry mate its too late and u can't change anything alone. it will probably take 1000000+ years to make this country decent. forget it :|

hello andy;

of course its late " almost 1.30 " we have to wait till all governements offices open at 8 in the morning :one
anyway if you think it will take that long to make a change you must be egyption ! and of course we r not going to be here then ,
bad luck !

suzana

@ suzana: Thanks for your thoughts. Esp. your point about how Egyptians have to be resilient and help each other.

@ Andy: Yikes! That's the most depressing thing I've read all day. lol. Hopefully it's not that bleak. Cheers.

Andy_22 wrote:

sorry mate its too late and u can't change anything alone. it will probably take 1000000+ years to make this country decent. forget it :|

It appears that this guys no nothing about us, I don't wanna go deep through this, but if the change is to be like UK, we don't wanna be like this, it is like when Mahatma Gandhi was asked what he thought of Western civilization, he said I think it would be a good idea.

hello iame,

first you have to put in your consideration that this blog is for expats ! and they have the right to say what they think of our country & of us so we can try to change our negatives or explain what they may be confused about , and i think that's why we are participating and that"s what they call communicating with diffirent cultures , second you can"t atack a whole country coz of someone you are not even sure who he is,
finaly you only learn from negatives & mistakes if you try to listen to how the others sees you, you may end up perfect,

suzana wrote:

hello iame,

first you have to put in your consideration that this blog is for expats ! and they have the right to say what they think of our country & of us so we can try to change our negatives or explain what they may be confused about , and i think that's why we are participating and that"s what they call communicating with diffirent cultures , second you can"t atack a whole country coz of someone you are not even sure who he is,
finaly you only learn from negatives & mistakes if you try to listen to how the others sees you, you may end up perfect,

you are right

well first i didn't attack any one, so u should say this to Mahatma Gandhi not me. 2nd thing as i said from the beginning i don't wanna go deep through this cuz this isn't a site for politics, but it the facts that can make us judge people, just look around you.

Dear members,

This site has been designed as a platform of exchange, providing services and guidance to the expat community and not for private disagreements .Please get back on track.

Thanks

Hi all,

Having lived here (Hurghada) for 4 years the good is obvious, the friendly people and the weather.
The bad is Driving, lack of water, electric power cuts plus the 'Rip off' few.

The driving is beyond belief, no lights why? driving in any lane or two lanes at once? no signals why? using phones, texting etc, just drive straight through red traffic lights with police taking no notice. Rules what Rules, add all this to people not being able to walk on the pavements so they walk on the road, round and over roundabouts. But once you accept this and treat everybody like an ****** then you are ok, no road rage here!!!

The tourist industry and a few Egyptians are ripping people off with AI Hotels trips and tours and because of this people are here once and never come back (no way to run any business).

Example: Sakara Lager, I buy for 6LE per bottle. Hotel price including 10% and 12% 30LE (£2.60 per bottle profit) + 1 bottle of vodka 13LE each, hotel 40LE per shot!!!(1,500LE per bottle)WOW Profit!!!

Bill

woah. where are you buying vodka for 13 LE a bottle??!!

Hi, on the desert road past the Nile Hospital and the Vehicle licence place, approx 1km, a large greenish wall with double gates ( no signs ) 156 LE for 12 bottles

cairotaxi wrote:

Hi, on the desert road past the Nile Hospital and the Vehicle licence place, approx 1km, a large greenish wall with double gates ( no signs ) 156 LE for 12 bottles

Boy I hope its not local made bathtub bootleg for your sake.

very rich discussion with really very different points of view.. i really enjoyed it

Interesting topic.

I live here for 5 years and i can say i love Egypt.
I live in a provincial city. There are a lot of things i dont like here:
* garbage
* way of driving (people dont follow rules...better to say they dont know them)
* absence of green areas and disrespectful behavior to trees. 
* absence of playgrounds for kids (yes,i visit clubs and cafes with playgrounds for children but they are not located across the city .In my home-country you can find small playgrounds near most of homes)
* terrible treatment with animals

But i also see many positive sides)))
* people are kind
* nice and kind dealing with kids
* people are always ready to help
* people are more respectful to older ones
* strong-knit families