Medical exams

Hi

Has anyone heard of having to get a medical exam in order to work and having to get it from their home country because Bulgaria does not allow foreigners to get medical exams? This sounds so strange, but this is what my perspective employer told me yesterday...he thinks I need a medical exam from my home country and that I can not get it here in Varna? Any words of wisdom on this?

It is necessary to get a medical exam before you can begin work (even for general office work). However, I was able to get one in Gabrovo. I don't see why you would not be able to get one in Varna. You will have to pay for it (whereas a Bulgarian can get their exam for free if they are covered by insurance) but it should only be 10-20 bgn.

Thanks.  It seems weird that u can't get it in country.   When did u get ur medical ? How recent ?

I started work less than 6 months ago... so... I believe in march or april.... maybe even as late as June (sorry I don't remember the exact month).

Did you need a medical

Yes. It was a quick checkup- blood pressure, weight, height etc. Took less than five minutes. Required in order to get me on payroll.

Ok..great, where did you get this done? Do you have a name? Was it recent?

Much appreciate the help..

As I said in my original reply, I got it done in Gabrovo. I do not remember the doctor's name. I think that the doctor had the form I needed in her office (although I can't remember for sure).

Honestly, it was a complete non-issue for my company. I can't imagine a company saying you would need a doctor's exam in another country, as you would then have to get it translated and legalized here, which would be a huge pain, compared to going in to any GP and asking for a quick exam.

Ok. Thanks.  It all sounded a bit contrived to me.  Employer was saying its a new law.  Getting a health certificate n exam from ones home of record.  I'm just going locally, even tho employer was saying they can't do the exams anymore.  Sounds a bit nutty; doesn't it?

It is crazy. But then, again, there comes the issue of translation and legalization as well as- what about people who are already living in Bulgaria with the legal right to work here but get a new job? They surely would not return to their home country. So.... yeah, I am saying your guy has to be wrong... at least I seriously hope so for sanity's sake.

Hello, you CAN get exam here. sometimes doctor don't even look at you, just give you a paper. And first time we paid for it, but second I think doctor forgot :).
If you will take exam in your country I don't believe it will be valid here. Or you will need a translation. Go to a doctor and you will see.

Thanks...appreciate all the help I can get

Do you have Any recommendations on where to go or a Dr.'s name of someone to see?