Security in Medellín

Could you please inform me about security in Medellin as compared with other Colombian cities

We've been in Medellin for about three weeks so I'm hardly an expert but here are a few observations for you...  We are staying in El Poblado where most of the expats settle down.  It's pretty upscale and feels like a city in southern California.  Because it's convenient we've done nearly all out shopping at stores on the "Golden Mile" section of Avenida Poblado.  We haven't had any frightening incidents and haven't noticed any would-be criminals sizing us up.  I'm still very vigilant, particularly against petty theft...pick-pocketing, camera-snatching and so forth.

We've also visited several areas in the older parts of the city and I'm more vigilant there but, again, we haven't experienced any troubling incidents.  I do try to get out of the crowd before taking out my camera and keep my wallet in my velcro-closed shirt pocket at all times.

In taxis we keep our doors locked and the windows rolled up except when we're traveling at a pretty good clip.  Criminals afoot or on bikes will often reach through open windows of vehicles to snatch anything in reach.

We don't drink much and haven't gone out at night except for down on the Golden Mile, but I think it's generally accepted that the more you drink and the later you're out on the town, the greater your chances of being victimized.

I've met another American who has lived in our building for over a year and feels totally safe in this area but tries to stay on his toes elsewhere.

I've read and take it on faith that the more vigilant you appear to be, the lessly likely you will be targeted. They have an expression here, "to give the papaya."  This basically means that doing certain things, like taking your phone out amidst a crowd, or standing on the bus with your purse behind your back, is making it very easy for criminals to take advantage of you.   Don't give the papaya and you'll probably be fine.

Hope that helps!

Thank you. I feel I have to explain something: I am Venezuela, I live in Venezuela, I am a professional at taking care and being vigilant. This communist dictatorship uses urban crime as a weapon to intimidate the middle class and people in general. If I leave my country, I would like to choose another place which is not dangerous. Thanks for your help.

My wishes for your safety and happiness!

Hi fahey! Imagine my surprise at finding another "Denverite" here!!!!! I also was interested in the security situation. From everything I hear, sounds like most places in South America. Exercising good judgement when outside seems to be the safest policy. I'm also looking at the Poblado area for mid November through mid March. Any contact you might have used and would recommend for apartment rental would be most appreciated. Looking for a one bedroom close to Park Lleras. Thanks and hope we can talk sometime!

P.S. Laura- I know exactly what you mean. Just left Venezuela last year. Way too dangerous now.

We got our place through AIRBNB which means we're paying at least twice market rates.  Try Poblado Rentals; you can find them online.  Suerte!

Thanks for the info!