Close

Any Americans Moving to Medellin?

Hi everyone,  My name is Mark,  I'm from Pensacola Beach, Florida.  I've decided to move to Medellin in about 3 months and I have a lot of questions as there isn't much info on the net for 2016. A few are,  Which part of Medellin is a good area to be able to walk everywhere I need to go.  I will be Teaching English as I am finishing my TEFL in a few week,  so any advice or experiences on that topic would be great.  Are there many Americans?

mdreyer80 wrote:

I've decided to I will be Teaching English as I am finishing my TEFL in a few week,  so any advice or experiences on that topic would be great.  Are there many Americans?

The lack of USA citizens may be changing here in Medellin.  Pablo’s been gone for 23 years and Colombians will get the chance to ratify the new peace accord with FARC, on October 2nd.  The international investing and living press has gotten the word out about MDE in this safer, more peaceful era.

How are you planning to stay in Colombia from a visa perspective ?  You can only stay 180 days a year on tourist stamps / tourist visa extensions ?

cccmedia, from Poblado, Medellin

I have a l year Teaching Contract.  As far as I know as long as I have the contract and a job offer,  I can stay until that stops.

Check with the institution that issued the contract.  Do they need to assist you with a visa and/or necessary approvals from the government ?

A contract in some countries is insufficient without an approved visa.

cccmedia from Medellin

Hey Bro

Only been here a few weeks but i live in Laureles, a suburb of Medellin and it is a pretty nice community. Everything you could possibly need is here. I am currently sitting at a coffee shop called Cafe Revolucion where alot of expats frequent, so it may be a good place for you to check out if you are in the area and needing to converse in English. There is also a yoga studio here that a few expats frequent as well. It is called flying tree yoga. It can also be a great place for you to meet other expats while you adjust to Medellin/Laureles.

I have met alot of good people in the last few weeks, both expats and local born and since it is a small community, you run into them again and again...makes it feel like home.

That's as much input as i can give but i really like living in Laureles....check it out.

Appreciate the feedback bro.  I'm trying to get everything sorted and have lots of questions about day to day things if you have time.

Hey Mark...i'm really not the expert on the issue since i have only been here a few weeks and have not really explored outside of the area that i live. However, if no one gets back to you within a few weeks, then i will be happy to share my limited knowledge with you.
You can add me on skype... my user name is aztrini.

Thanls for the info.  I was wondering if you could give me a rough estimate for cost of housing in that area in American Dollars monthly so I can budget properly.  I'm getting some mixed info on the internet.  For 1 bedroom furnished or 2 bedroom furnished.  Thanks for your help

mdreyer80 wrote:

Thanls for the info.  I was wondering if you could give me a rough estimate for cost of housing in that area in American Dollars monthly so I can budget properly.  I'm getting some mixed info on the internet.  For 1 bedroom furnished or 2 bedroom furnished.  Thanks for your help

Whatever you've seen advertised online is way too much.  And it of course matters what neighborhood. I continually hear that Laureles is a nice neighborhood with good rent prices. Envigado is a nice, cozy place, too, with nice people.

But whatever you're seeing online in English is geared towards Gringos, and they're asking way more than what you can get if you get to Medellin and shop around a bit.

The only apartment I rented for a month was in Guatape (go see Guatape!!). It's a little town of about 4000 about 2 hours by bus from Medellin. It's a weekend retreat for people that live in Medellin and the surrounding area. I paid $180 for a 3 bed, 2 bath right by the main strip along the lake with the shops and restaurants. My upstairs neighbor told me I could have bargained her down for half that, but it was super cheap, so I was happy.

But the city will cost you more for rent.

I wish you well in your Colombian adventure.

Questions and answers about Medellin

Ask your question
SanMarcos
Rajnish Tyagi
Medellin Colombia
By Rajnish Tyagi
iDriveYourCar
Seeking Email & Marketing Automation Expert Offer
By iDriveYourCar
SoyJames
Open an office in Medellin?
By SoyJames
dvdsteck
Musicians Wanted
By dvdsteck
ksewalia

Expatriate health insurance in Medellin

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Medellin

Moving to Medellin

Find tips from professionals about moving to Medellin

Travel insurance in Medellin

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Medellin

Flights to Medellin

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Medellin