After being a silent stalker... officially joining the forum

Hi All,

I have had the pleasure of being a regular visitor to the forum for the last few months as I made plans to move to Riyadh. It has been tremendously helpful.

I am moving to Riyadh later this week from Las Vegas.... yes.... quite the change. I actually spent time here as a kid in the '80's so not totally unaware of what it's like.

Anyway, moving to the Danah Compound off Khurais Rd.... have no idea what its like and how close shopping is....so any tips would be well appreciated.

Hope to be a regular member of the forum and thanks again for making this such a great resource.

Cheers!

Danah is slightly out of town but there are many fast food outlets and shopping malls that have sprung up in that area along Khurais Road in recent times. Takes about 15 minutes to get into the city from the compound. Maybe a wee bit longer during peak traffic hours since Khurais Road takes a heavy toll during the morning, noon and evening hours.

Good luck!

Welcome to the Kingdom.
Khurais road (or along it) is a great place to be - everything in a heartbeat, shopping mall, hospitals, Jarir bookstores.

Beam in when you arrive in Riyadh.

Thanks for the replies .. appreciate it. Any idea how the Danah compound is as far as compounds go?

Sparrow wrote:

Welcome to the Kingdom.
Khurais road (or along it) is a great place to be - everything in a heartbeat, shopping mall, hospitals, Jarir bookstores.

Beam in when you arrive in Riyadh.

yeah u r right,it even has Khurais Mall and Hyper Panda...go to ALshurfa the jungle theme Restaurant.I love it

Danah Compound is about 35 km east of the city center

Welcome to the forum, Lostvegas, and thanks for the kind words.  We like to think we do provide a service, inbetween our 'merrymaking' :lol:

nonz wrote:

yeah u r right,it even has Khurais Mall and Hyper Panda...go to ALshurfa the jungle theme Restaurant.I love it

Oh wow, the jungle themed restaurant.. now I know where he's talking about!

If you go to google earth, Lostvegas, you can find your location and see where you'll be in relation to the center of the city, the Diplomatic Quarter, etc.

Look forward to seeing you.

lostvegas wrote:

Thanks for the replies .. appreciate it. Any idea how the Danah compound is as far as compounds go?

Welcome Lostvegas, I have asked a few peeps but can't find anyone who has been to Danah?  Can anyone else help with knowledge of Danah?

Thanks for all the messages. I will give everyone an update regarding Danah Compound after I move in (and get internet!).
I fly in tomorrow so should be interesting... left Riyadh 23 years ago as a former SAIS British Section student thinking I would never see Riyadh again. Had a terrific time back then and still meet up with friends from those days in the UK and the US. Optimistic that will be the case this time too....
Cheers!

lostvegas wrote:

Thanks for all the messages. I will give everyone an update regarding Danah Compound after I move in (and get internet!).
I fly in tomorrow so should be interesting... left Riyadh 23 years ago as a former SAIS British Section student thinking I would never see Riyadh again. Had a terrific time back then and still meet up with friends from those days in the UK and the US. Optimistic that will be the case this time too....
Cheers!

Well travel safe, you will be very surprised by all the development and changes in Riyadh - those who also knew the place years ago are quite taken aback on their return.  Will you be here on your own or with family (or family to follow)?

Welcome to Riyadh (again)!

Thanks for the note 'Goingwiththeflow'. Coming back by myself... single and needing time to recover after a number of years living it up in Vegas ;-)

heres the location map
wikimapia.org/1333451/Danah-compound

Welcome to the Kingdom, man, and glad to have you here. :)

@Lostvegas - coming to 'Rehab Riyadh' after years of Vegas. No 'chips' here, just stone chips, Malls and camels; but others who have been previously enjoy the good change. I am sure you will to.

@Nonz - we should all meet up at that Alshurfa 'jungle resturant' as you mention you wanted to go when we took the last trip across town.

@Lostvegas - coming to 'Rehab Riyadh' after years of Vegas. No 'chips' here, just stone chips, Malls and camels; but others who have been previously enjoy the good change. I am sure you will to.

@Nonz - we should all meet up at that Alshurfa 'jungle resturant' as you mention you wanted to go when we took the last trip across town.

Sparrow, no need to accentuate the positive. Julian cud treat u as a spammer?

Yeah sparrow(with the big bum animal's avatar)
I like the Idea...I been thinking this,I even want to go Wooden Bakery :rolleyes:

nonz wrote:

Yeah sparrow(with the big bum animal's avatar)
I like the Idea...I been thinking this,I even want to go Wooden Bakery :rolleyes:

Me, too !!!!!!!!!!!!  We can pretend we're at the Moulin Rouge!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/Moulin_rouge.jpg/800px-Moulin_rouge.jpg

Wooden Bakery, below.  See the similarity? :lol:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_kXj6VMEx8AAAmjzbkF/SIG=12hl3dkvr/EXP=1286004887/**http%3a//mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/32613508.jpg

funny enough i happened to pass by the bakery last Saturday and took some pics while waiting at the lights entering Sitteen Street with the hope of posting them here. They are still on my phone and I havent had time to download them to my laptop yet. Great minds ....

MM sorry about the ditto, but its saudi friday 'cut off all communication from cyber for a while syndrome' - thats how I became a spammer.

Can you image what a great party a 'Moulin Rouge' party could turn out like! Trust Allie to think of this one. Now you need to design us outfits  :lol::lol:

Sparrow wrote:

Now you need to design us outfits  :lol::lol:

In your favorite 'fabric' -- fishnet???

:lol:

Nope, the same 'clothes the Emperor wore' - I want an outfit like that LoL.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Fishnet. :whistle:

Hmmm....would it be Ok...if the fishnet is colored??? :rolleyes:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_6OuaVMpRoAmQ6jzbkF/SIG=12a2qiojm/EXP=1286015758/**http%3a//www.euroclubschools.co.uk/userimages/cancan.jpg

Courtesy of Toulousse Latrec.

Oh, and the woman on the right end who looks like she has a mutawa beard?  I think it's probably a boa :lol:

No problemo, (Walang Problema in Ragalog for those who work with Phillys)

For the puddytat, a Sylvester style cat suit

Sparrow, you better get somehing that looks like your profile pic, please

Salman, would look great in a Batman outfit, beard et al, the Arabian Bat...

Nonz, hmmm how about a barrel like what Obelisk wears in Asterix comics?

Dave, Leather, leather, and more leather

Maxine & Ian, could come as Wilma & Fred Flintstone, what with the 50 year anniversary of their comic strip yesterdat et al

LostVegas, Bunny suit without a doubt

Ramon, George W Bush

Zara, A Barista without any doubts, whatsoever

Nelson, HP Blade Server

MisterStretch, Cowboy

any more?

musicman wrote:

Maxine & Ian, could come as Wilma & Fred Flintstone, what with the 50 year anniversary of their comic strip yesterdat et al

Ramon, George W Bush

Nelson, HP Blade Server

MisterStretch, Cowboy

any more?

LOL - love it!  I have a club I use quite often!  but what about you!  The Pied Piper?

Picture does not depict a female mutawa but years of having  facelifts... lol

I have my Manikin already designed by the famous Allie "Puddy Tat" Giordino

musicman wrote:

I have my Manikin already designed by the famous Allie "Puddy Tat" Giordino

Damn, dude--you're really getting off on that mankini! :lol::lol:

lolz, dont you want publicity for your handiwork, mizzy?

musicman wrote:

Ramon, George W Bush

Nelson, HP Blade Server

MisterStretch, Cowboy

any more?

Fantastic!! Although I think that someone should be wearing a burkhini to match your  mankini!! :lol:

Can I exactly know,what I have done to u:mad:??? what a brutal revenge just because I forgot my Iqama once(infact twice;))

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I thought u would say"something like Pamela Anderson used to wear in Bay watch":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

yep, I knew that barrel thing was going to get mm into trouble!  Don't blame ya, nonzie!

Alliecat wrote:

yep, I knew that barrel thing was going to get mm into trouble!  Don't blame ya, nonzie!

so u r the only one who understand my pain,Allie:rolleyes:

nonz wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

so u r the only one who understand my pain,Allie:rolleyes:

Yep, cause I'm sensitive like that!

:par:

nonz wrote:

Can I exactly know,what I have done to u:mad:??? what a brutal revenge just because I forgot my Iqama once(infact twice;))

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I thought u would say"something like Pamela Anderson used to wear in Bay watch":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

on second thoughts that may go very well with my mankini, why didnt i think of it before?

mankini:o EEwwwwwww

OMG!  Has anybody else noticed mm's obsession with the mankini?!?!?
I never would have thunk it!

Alliecat wrote:

OMG!  Has anybody else noticed mm's obsession with the mankini?!?!?
I never would have thunk it!

Is there something you'd like to tell us mm??? ;)