Tips for getting your first job in Ecuador

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in Ecuador?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in Ecuador?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

I don't know but I really would like to know BC I'm moving there in a few days

Expats most likely to get a job in Ecuador...

... speak, read and write Spanish...

... have a university degree from Ecuador's approved list of schools...

... bring enough workplace value to compensate for the national bias that gives jobs to EC nationals when they are similarly qualified for the job...

... have expertise in a jobs-available field such as medicine or nursing, including mastery of Spanish-language medical terminology or equivalent...

... make and use personal networking and connections to get the inside track, in a workworld where who you know can be more important than what you know...

... have a plan to play the visa games and stay financially solvent, so they can stay in Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito

That is a great post to refer anyone to who is coming to Ecuador (or thinking about it) with the intention of working. Also I think that the minimum wage for Ecuadorians might be included. Somewhere between $400 to $500/month if I remember correctly. English teaching jobs are available but all kinds of different figures are reported as far as pay goes. Ecuador is NOT looking for migrant labor rather people who want to retire with income of at least $800 a month and $100 for each dependent or invest at least $25K. in real estate or bank deposit. That of course is a  generalization and am sure I'll get plenty of flak.... there are probably some creative expats who have figured out other ways to support themselves

suefrankdahl wrote:

there are probably some creative expats who have figured out other ways to support themselves

Although this is technically a first-job thread, I hope we can hear from any such folks who have found creative ways to support themselves.

Sue makes a good point about the possibility of teaching English.  However, beyond the questionable pay she mentioned, there is often the reality of a split shift for many teachers -- teaching daytime class(es) and a night-time session as well...on the same day or days.

Teaching in private sessions pays off for a few, but it can take at least a couple of years to get that really rolling.

cccmedia in Quito

suefrankdahl wrote:

Ecuador is NOT looking for migrant labor, rather people who want to retire with income of at least $800 a month and $100 for each dependent or invest at least $25K in real estate or bank deposit. That of course is a generalization and am sure I'll get plenty of flak.

Flak?  I doubt it, Sue.  That's the way it is, and you nailed it.

That being said, someone with desire, perseverance and some of the qualities/abilities we stated above could succeed workwise in Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito

It's just in looking at Forums from all over the world it is so evident that moving from one developing, underdeveloped country to another is not going to help you. Changing hemispheres may or may not be the solution.

As far as teaching English goes there is quite a demand for it from native speakers in SE Asia. With the credentials even better TESL, ESL and CELTA. There are more schools and chance for one to one private tutoring is also good

I recomend to start working in Ecuador as freelancer on the internet. There are a lot of plattforms on the internet such as freelancer.com, upwork.com, elance.com, which allows you to work in each place of the world, meanwhile you have PC and Internet. Another posibility is to give english classes to local people. As only few ecuadorians speak english you will have a lot of possible customers if you charge between 8 - 15 $ an hour. If you are looking for a regular job in a company here it is important that you are living here legal. If you try your luck to search a job it's better to find a job in an international company, as the ecuadorian company mostly pay lower wages. If you ask in the Consulate or the Embassy of your home country you may get contacts to expats living in Ecuador with own companies. Visit them and ask if there is a posibility to get a job or if they have ideas were to find a good job.

Having taught language within the last four years in QUito privately, for an international business and for a private university -- this is challenging -- these days the word in the street is that through govt required University ugrades  hirers want to hire PhD's, Spanish /English bilinguals and other top notch folks.  The language institutes which pay generally less and are not as desirable places to work--  may still hire people from English speaking countries  with baccalaureate degrees, I can't say.  It is very competitive out there.. .  it is NOT a native English speaker's mkt anymore, for example.   

In my own experience, Pameff's comments are spot-on about WORKING ONLINE at any age or financial level .  If you want to work to make money because you are NOT retired for whatever reason, this online work is a wonderful option.  I am thinking through this option for myself --  I have talked with several acquaintances in Cuenca now and in Quito earning after a couple of years $1200 mo and up with a marketable skillset and professional preparation for fields like editing, research, and writing, business/personal counseling..  lots of technical writing and other tech jobs for sure. 

Hope this helps.  This is up-to-date work/hire info.

My two cents,
Unless you are well papered and can speak, read and write Spanish you will have a tough go of it. Your best bet as indicated above is to seek out an international company as the pay will be better. So as an entry level worker it will be difficult.
I myself have done some teaching of English to professional locals who need it in their jobs, and my wife who is from here has a very large family who are involved in many areas from entertainers to financial consultants who I have assisted. Not however to the level one could really support yourself in my opinion.
If you are determined to do it as with anywhere else, network, network, network! I have found that a great deal of people get jobs through contacts, either family or friends. As they say, It's who you know. I have gotten several referrals from family members but I did not pursue them as they were perishable skills, ones that I have not used recently, by that I mean, technical skills that have not been used within the last six months I do not consider myself proficient in. Could I still do the job? Probably, but I would not want to stake my name or the reputation of a family member on it, but that's just me.
There are certain fields which are always in demand even here in EC, Medical, Communications, Electronics, Programming etc. Without up to date credentials, and the ability to speak, read, and write Spanish don't bother unless as I said you get in with an international company.

Good Luck

If you don't have your heart set on Ecuador there look to be many opportunities in Vietnam. There is a tremendous bias apparently against individuals of Asian descent even though they may be native English speakers or bilingual Viet/English. It is a country burgeoning with international businesses and a polyglot's paradise.

Not to stray off topic, but I've had colleagues who taught in Vietnam. The pay is extremely low and many institutions require community service (volunteering) - sans remuneration. Also, many countries impose age restrictions as part of the visa requirements and the Ministry of Education. For example, in Asia the cutoff is generally age 50 and in the Middle East, 59.  Then there is racial bias. Although colleagues enjoyed traveling in this fascinating country, there are many tradeoffs. I currently teach many Vietnamese students at college here in the US who complained of inflation, corruption, horrific traffic, pollution, and low wages. Many who teach there for those low wages, usually at language school mills, are backpackers, i.e., native speakers of English without the academic credentials. Those who possess academic credentials of "highly qualified" instructors (e.g., a Master's in Applied Linguistics or TESOL, Technology in Education) venture to greener pastures - S. Korea, China and the Middle East. Of course, many parts of China have the most toxic pollution index ever, with schools closing on smoggy days and locals wearing surgical masks.  For anyone interested in ESL/EFL positions in different countries, please see Dave's eslcafe.com. Click on "International Teacher Forum" and then scroll down through the continents with countries subsumed under each in alpha order. There you can read posts of those who are or were on the ground as well as newcomers making inquiries. See "Latin America" threads if interested in Ecuador, etc. I also noticed when I clicked on "Forum" that there is a great link here with an ex-pat GUIDE which provides a wealth of information.  See the "Work" category which provides websites for  universities in Quito, Cuenca, etc. I do know from reading Dave's that one has to be on the ground to apply for EFL teaching jobs in most Latin American countries. Best wishes.
PS

That last post was informative and necessary to prevent anyone from getting on the next flight (and by that I mean four connecting flights) to Ho Chi Minh City.

However, let's please try to keep future posts about Vietnam that are inspired by this thread to under 500 words*.

Further deviation from the original topic -- which some may distantly remember was about tips for getting a job in Ecuador -- could tend to confuse new arrivals to this thread and thereby cause grief and consternation at the Home Office in the Mascarene Islands.

cccmedia in Quito

*And kindly post those 500 words on the Vietnam forum instead.

Great input -- folks like peripatetic who know the deal are invaluable.  Here in Ecuador there are many caveats and conditions as well. It is very hard to find any kind of work for anyone -- man woman, Ecuadorian, immigrant over 40.  Connections get some people jobs who should not have them, of course --and  women are getting a better break in leadership positions, anyway in this government's jobs.

Dear cccmedia:
Apologies for the digression on Vietnam. I wanted to apprise folks of what they can expect in the ESL/EFL world as I've been doing this for over 30 years and some have no clue. Being a native speaker is simply not enough, as you well know.
I don't know about age restrictions in Ecuador but have heard connections are important as are sterling credentials.

Correction: When one navigates to Dave's "eslcafe.com," click on STUFF FOR TEACHERS column on the left and select "International job forum." From there you can navigate to continent/country of interest.

When I get to Cuenca and can actually find a university position, I'll keep you posted. Be aware, though, that many of us out there have MAs and PhDs in the field so it is highly competitive. Carpe diem!

Cheers and best wishes,
PS

What about jobs in agriculture?  I'd like to maybe volunteer for an organic farm and eventually find part time work with that farm or start my own?  Is this a possibility if you have a retirement or investor's visa?  Are there organic farms near Cuenca?  I even was a post in classifieds a few months ago where you could rent an apartment or something like that on an organic farm, and included in the rent was dome organic food.  I can't find it now.

Dear Mom,

Once you have the residency visa, you have the right to work in Ecuador.

There are organic farms outside Cuenca.  Vilcabamba and other places as well.

cccmedia in Quito