Sky TV in Norway

Hi Folks

Possibly getting moved with work to Stavanger and as crazy as it may sound, being able to get Sky TV is a deal breaker for me!  Is it possible to get it here?  if so which companies do you contact to get it installed?  I know people that have it in France and Spain so its not too much of a stretch to hope you get it in Norway?  I know you have to get your card sent to a UK address etc but more interested in finding out who (if any) are the companies in Norway that can sell you and install the dish and box??

Any help much appreciated!

Ross

Welcome Comingtonorway! :)

Your discussion has been redirected to Stavanger forum for effective networking.

Hope that members soon clarify your query about Sky Tv in Norway.

Regards,
Sheetul

Hello Ross,

I'm not sure about getting sky. I use a product called a Slingbox. It's connected to a Sky box in my parents' house in Scotland and I connect to it through the internet. That lets my access all of the sky channels here in Norway. The quality perhaps isn't the best since it is streamed over the internet, but it's good enough for me. I'm not sure I could survive without it.

Hope this helps a bit,

David

Hi Thanks for your reply, I had thought about that too actually but wasnt sure if what i was watching on the sling box would affect what my mum was watching back in the UK??  ie if i change channels in Norway would it change the channel on the 'Host' TV in uk??  As you can see I'm not very technically aware!

You're quite right. You will only be able to watch whatever the person watching the box is watching. I have Sky Multiroom so I have my own Sky box connected to my Slingbox. That way I can watch whatever I want.

As you probably tell, I'm quite serious when it comes to television.

David

Hi Ross,

I have a few colleagues that have installed SKY in their homes in Norway, they have brought the SKy box and a suitable antenna and tuned it in to receive the sky channels. I can get more info on who you could get in touch to install this for you if you are interested.
The other thing you could do is get sky access via the internet, and connect it to your tv, although this will be affected by internet speed, etc.

Cheerio
Nadia

Hi Nadia

Many thanks for your reply, I'd be interested to find out the details of which companies can do the installation of the dish and set up the box etc, do you have any contacts?

Also - I never knew you could received if through a laptop, how would this be done?

Thanks for the help!

Ross

Hei Ross,

I will ask my british colleagues here and let you know. I came from Reading to Norway, and was trying to set the same thing up, take my SKY dish and box to Norway, but found out that the apartment I rented did not have an antenna connection, just cable TV, which meant going into a lot of trouble to set it up.

I know that you can either pay for SKY to watch via the internet if you dont have a monthly kind of memebership with them, or if you do then the internet SKY tv comes free, but do ask them what channels you can get via the internet, i am not sure if there are any restrictions! And to access it in Norway you would need to by a IP tool (normally about 10 pounds every 3 motnhs), which changes yr IP address to UK one!!

hey, I never knew any of that so thanks - very helpful!

Hei
I was inspired by this thread to go out and do some exploring.  As a result i bought a subscription to a Virtual Private Network.  This is a security service which creates an encrypted link between your computer and a server in another country.  Good VPNs maintain servers in lots of countries which you can switch to.  As a result, i use a UK server to access the BBC iPlayer.  There are lots of free proxy server services but they aren't worth the time it takes to use them, are often dodgy and often close.  By paying for a quality service (i pay 6.60 euros a month) you get a top quality connection and tv streaming works really well, plus proper customer service.  I wish i had done this earlier!

rhysmhor

Hi Rhysmhor

Thanks for the info - I handt thought of this - have you got the details of the VPN you subscribe to?  Since you say it is respecatble and provides a good service I'd be keen to use the same one.....

Many Thanks !

Ross

Hei Ross

I chose something called "Identity Cloaker" (Czech),  it was a choice between that and an American service called "Witopia".  As ever, Caveat Emptor....

rhysmhor

appreciate it!  many thanks