Married to EU citizen wanting to move to Dublin

Hi,

First of all, apologies because I know this question has probably been asked a hundred times. I have to though because it's so difficult to get definitive answers, which is something you want before you uproot your entire life.

My fiancé is an British citizen and we live in South Africa. We began the process to move to the UK but the restrictions on Foreign spouses is just crazy so we decided Ireland would be our next choice. Here is what I do know:
1: as a South African I do not need a tourist visa and I will be allowed to remain as a visitor for 3 months
2: once my fiancé has a job of some sort I will be able to apply for a stamp 4
3: I can get a temporary stamp while I wait for this to be processed

Here are my questions:
1: while I have this temporary stamp would I be able to apply for jobs and work?
2: Are there any financial restrictions we would need to meet? Such as my fiancé earning a certain amount per year?

Some clarifications on this would be really helpful!

Hi there,

No problem at all! Glad to help over here :)

My name is Sylvia and my husband and I moved over to Ireland at the end of last year. We are currently living in Dublin near the Jameson distillery :)

I am a Eu citizen (Belgian) and he's South African. We were exactly in the same boat as you with lots of questions, so let me see if I can help out. I do see that you've done quite a bit of research already on your first three points and yes Ireland would be the better choice as it's easier for you to get into Ireland on a 3 months visa free.

As per your 2nd point I do want to point out that your fiancee will require at least 2 months worth of payslips for you guys to be able to apply for a stamp 4. So if you need to stay longer in the country it's best to discuss this with the INIS (immigration). Email them on this email address anything "EU married to a Non-Eu" related questions: [email protected]

However here are some answers to your last 2 questions.
1: while I have this temporary stamp would I be able to apply for jobs and work?
My husband has his Temp stamp passport now and he is allowed to apply for work. I must be honest it does take some time to find something, but if you are easy you'll definitely find something.

2: Are there any financial restrictions we would need to meet? Such as my fiancé earning a certain amount per year?
I honestly at this point can't recall if you need a certain amount to earn to meet any financial standards, however here is quite a handy link that you can peruse through if you'd like. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo … ional.html

I do hope the above so far can help out, however I've got a few links still saved via email including info on what documents is needed for a residence card (stamp 4), so if you don't mind emailing me to [email protected] then I'll forward those emails straight to you.

Hope to hear from you soon :)

Sylvia
xxx