Finding a job from abroad

I am currently looking for a job in Bucharest and was wondering if anyone has any advice on finding one without already being in the country.

Almost all of my work experience was in the U.S. where it was fairly easy to find a job once there but next to impossible to find one from abroad unless it's an intracompany transfer or a senior management position. When I returned to Switzerland after being abroad for over 12 years it was extremely difficult to find employment as well simply based on the fact that I did not have any local work experience so I did have some rather sobering experiences in the past couple of years.

How difficult is it to find employment in Romania given that I'm abroad and don't have any local work experience? What's the best way of finding an opening? I'm looking through postings on eJobs.ro and LinkedIn but obviously few employers specify whether or not they're open to hiring someone from abroad. Is this a feasible approach?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

- Daniel

dear friend !

I can promise nothing till we have an idea about your cv
I am living in Romania from some years and have a travel agency and an association for culture and better integration of foreigners imigrant and expat in Romania
so send me your cv and i will try to do my best
subject : job in Romania
Dali
imigrari.ro

Thanks Tovati. I sent you a copy of my CV. I hold a B.Sc. in Marketing Management and have numerous years of work experience in various marketing and product management roles in defense and ICT. My focus is to find something marketing/sales/PM related in the ICT industry.

@ > tovati
@ > Daniel981

For any job seeking or recruiting, ad shall be drop in the appropriate section > Marketing job offers in Bucharest, situated in the green banner on top of the page and not on the forum.

The thread is mostly for exchanges of experiences.

Thank you.

Also tovati,

Please register in the Bucharest business directory, if you are a travel agency, advert in any whatsoever form is not allow on the thread.

Thank you,
Marjorie

Hi Daniel,

I have lived here in Bucharest now for over 3 years.

I have applied for many jobs in fact maybe over a thousand and the response is always the same (nothing).

I did get an answer back one time which said we are sorry we are only employing people from Romania sorry!

I still have a copy of this email which was from a large hotel group here.

I think you may find it very hard to find a job here unless you know someone within a company who can help you.

I wish you luck with your applications.

Donna

That's more or less what I expected since few companies are willing to take the risk for a "low level" employee unless there's a labor shortage.

Easiest would be to move first and then look for a job but without savings to keep me afloat for 6 - 12 months that's obviously rather foolish. May I ask how you ended up finding something?

Hi Daniel,

Well i have given up even sending my cv now.  I am a hotel Manager with 20 years experience in Accommodation Management.  I have worked in 4 and 5 star hotels in England and Ireland.

My partner is Romanian.

I have looked at setting up my own business here recently but the hassle and stupid paper work required is too much!  I have just started applying for jobs back home now in England over the past 2 weeks and i have had a brilliant response to all my applications what a difference.  So i think i will be returning home to England very soon.

Even when i have called to speak to HR recruiters on the telephone here their response to me has been very rude.

I do not know what sort of employment you are looking for here but try to make some Ex Pat friends before you come and maybe they will be able to help you out.

Donna