Dress standard

I'll be coming to Libya shortly to teach English as a Foreign Language on a desert installation.

What dress standard is likely to be expected?

Is it long-sleeved shirt and a tie or open-neck short-sleeved shirt? And what about footwear? Will I be expected to wear lounge shoes or would closed-toe sandals over socks be OK.

I know that Jenni Red is a TEFLer. What is the expected standard in your school? What about other teachers? What standards do you adhere to?

And what about other professional settings? How are ajnabees (أجانب)expected to dress?

Hi seymour sunshine

I have many friends who are teaching English in the colleges out here. They dress formal. They wear full sleeves but then the sleeves are folded and kept up esp in summer as it tends to get too hot in here. Shoes are also formal. Some wear tie and others don't. In winter, they wear jackets, formal ones.I think there is no hard and fast rule about it as long as its formal. Thats my view but lets listen to others as well.

Hope it helps.

Depends on the school.........

You mention teaching on a desert installation, it sounds like you will be teaching company employees who work rotation shifts in the desert.

If that is the case you won't have to wear any fancy clothes. Casual attire would do but sandals would probably not be allowed.

Best to check with the employer about dress code.

I am a as Genie called us a TEFLer. (Not happy with that label)
But ok I agree with Sidiqui on a desert installation  you will be expected to wear casual clothes, If you are going to work for AS contect me(PM) and I will put you in touch with a guy who does the same sort of job.I am based in Tripoli but out of the country at the moment