Does the NTSC TV system work in Libya ?

Does the NTSC TV system work in Libya ? Please advice

The majority of TV's these days are multi system and will work with either NTSC or PAL, likewise the satellite decoders are also multi system.

The majority of the tvs these days are not multisystem.  Most of the Sony, Panasonic, Samsung sold in Europe are PAL only.  Likewise the ones sold in the USA are NTSC only.  Only the Australian models are usually multisystem.

The PAL/NTSC thing tends to disappear once you move into HD signals fortunately.

Having said that - Sandman is right about the decoders.  Many of them are dual system.  Also, many dvd players are also dual system.  My $50 Philips DVD player can output either signal.

In the USA you can buy a high quality signal convertor box for $200-$300 these days (to convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa).  I'm not sure you'll need it, but it may do a better job than the satellite decoder box.  Something like the DVDO Edge will work (it's a more high end one - you can find them on ebay for $300 sometimes). 

anchorbaytech.com/dvdo_edge/

But the system in Libia is SECAM, isnŽt it?

mp_garcia wrote:

But the system in Libia is SECAM, isnŽt it?

The local network might run on SECAM but you'll get more entertainment from watching paint dry.

Everyone I know is hooked up to a satellite thru a decoder which are PAL/NTSC

Ahhhh right, but you guys have Libyan bought TVs? Or should I bring mine? Can I connect the Wii to the decoder? My wife needs some entertainement while IŽm working!!! ;-)
Thanks!!

I bought 2 Sharp LCD screens earlier this year from the Sharp main distributor on Gurgi Road. Both sets were UK spec models even as far as the UK 3 square pins plug.

The inputs on the decoders you get here are fairly basic - RCA type sockets with 2 x audio L&R and 1 x video. Never seen one with an HDMI or even a SCART input.

Cool, I guess that it would fit the Wii as component conection. I assume prices for LCD arenŽt high, since you bought 2!!! ;-)
Thanx Sandman!!!

mp_garcia wrote:

Cool, I guess that it would fit the Wii as component conection. I assume prices for LCD arenŽt high, since you bought 2!!! ;-)
Thanx Sandman!!!

I'm not sure about the suitability of the decoder to accept the Wii as an input - I'll need to check the connections when I get back home. I input our Wii directly into the home cinema amplifier for the audio.

TV prices are equivalent to web prices in the UK or even slightly cheaper. The 40" Sharp LCD worked out at GBP 30 cheaper than the same model in the UK and the dealer also threw in a free DVD player as I'd bought two TV's.

I looked in a few of the shops on Gurgi.  TVs are cheaper in the US - the only problem is that many of the TVs sold in the US are not dual voltage so you have to use a voltage convertor (and they will also be NTSC only).  It's not clear to me if it would be better to buy in the US before you go or pick one up in Libya (pick your poison).

I think electronics prices in the US are some of the cheapest in the world.  Everytime I go to SE Asia I'm surprised to see this prices are almost the same as the US.

Sandman - the people who have HDMI satellite brought in their decoders from europe.

gabacho wrote:

Sandman - the people who have HDMI satellite brought in their decoders from europe.

Yes, I know - I was referring to the local pirate boxes which need re fffffffrriigin flashing every month :mad: